What's new

3x100 W vs 2 x200 W (1 Viewer)

Joseph_Mikhail

Stunt Coordinator
For a 5.1 system, which setup would sound better.

Running my mains off a bridged amp with 200 W per channel and let my receiver handle the other channels. Or running my mains and center off my amp (not in bridged mode) at 100 W per channel and let my receiver handle the surround channels.

My speakers are rated at 150 W. And I usually only use my system for HT.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Joseph,
That's not easy to answer, because much will depend on (the quality of) your amps and receiver.
However, as a general point, it looks as if it's better to try and have the L/R AND Center from equal sounding sources. So your second option is probably the best.
Also, if your receiver power section has lower wattage than your main amps, it's wiser to have it (the receiver) drive your surrounds.
But indeed - the proof of the pudding is in the eating :).
Cees

Joseph_Mikhail

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply. I planned on trying both setups anyways, but I just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Duke

Stunt Coordinator
also depends on the speakers you are driving, full range speakers eat more power to drive the woofers, if you are running small all around then less power would be needed. So if the L&R are large and the center and surrounds are small, I'd go with the 200 for the l&R and drive the rest from the AVR

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks