What's new

3D Video cards (GeForce 2 & 3) (1 Viewer)

Rob FM

Second Unit
Real Name
R
Hi guys, I just read an article in ComputerSource that did some testing/benchmarking of 3D Video cards, and basically what they came up with was that the GeForce 2 is pretty much the best *value* for top of the line gaming, because the GeForce 3 isn't being used to the full potential by software yet.
They liked the GeForce 2 in all three flavors:
PRO
ULTRA
GTS
(but NOT the MX200 or MX400)
If they are correct, what are some of the places you would by this "GeForce 2" card at? PriceWatch.com listed a bunch of places that you guys have never mentioned....(I've read in this forum about NewEgg/MWave)
$128.00 seems to be the lowest price out there, anyone got any opinions on the chip/vendor?
Thanks,
~Rob
[Edited last by Rob FM on August 20, 2001 at 08:03 PM]

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
The Geforce 2 Ultra is significantly better than the other Geforce 2's. However, it is also more expensive and if you aren't a 3dgamer or graphics designer of some kind then the GTS will serve you just fine. I have a Leadtek Geforce 2 Ultra and i love it. I've never had a problem with it and Leadtek is one of the only companies i know that offers bios updates on their video cards. I use the Nvidia reference drivers but the Leadtek drivers seemed to work fine i just get a bit of framerate improvement with Nvidia's drivers.
Asus, Leadtek, Creative, and Guillemot are all supposed to be good brands. I can vouch personally for Leadtek, Creative, and Asus but i've never used a Guillemot video card.
------------------
Steve,
DVD Collection
[Edited last by SteveBjr on August 20, 2001 at 08:39 PM]

Vietor

Stunt Coordinator
The GeForce 2 Pro is porbably the best bang for your buck.
Its right between the GTS and Ultra in terms of performance, and right next to the GTS in terms of price (unless you get the 32 meg version, but who would be silly enough to do that?)
The Ultra is just not that much faster compared to the price difference. If your going to go for the ultra , just go and get a inexpensive GeForce 3 (less than $100 more, and well worth it)
SO basicaly what I am saying is get a Pro or a GF3 depending on budget. Ultra is to much more $$ for the little preformance change from the pro, and the GTS 32MB is lacking in the mem dept.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'd hate to throw you guys for a loop, but try the evil Kyro 4500. I tend to believe it's by far the best video card value right now.
anantech review
Brent L
Not perfect sure , but for the money!!

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I have the GeForce 2 Pro from Leadtek and I am most impressed with it. I am at a constant 99 fps in 1024x768 playing Counter-Strike online.
-Dean-
------------------
Link Removed
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I don't know how much improvement there has been in the last month or so, but when I last looked everyone was saying that the driver and compatibility problems with the kyro were enough hassle that it wasn't worth the saving. Personally, I'd stick with NVidia - no muss no fuss. Its a little bit more, but I'm bored of having a fast card that doesn't work half the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks