What's new

3D discontinued by all major display manufactures (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Last year Samsung dropped 3D, and for 2017 Sony and LG have both announced that they will be dropping 3D as well.

I guess I need to get out and buy a 2016 model :(

Tim Alessi, LG's director of new product development, told tech website Cnet: "3D capability was never really universally embraced in the industry for home use, and it's just not a key buying factor when selecting a new TV," "Purchase process research showed it's not a top buying consideration, and anecdotal information indicated that actual usage was not high. "We decided to drop 3D support for 2017 in order to focus our efforts on new capabilities such as HDR, which has much more universal appeal."

A Sony representative also said: "Based on current market trends we decided not to support 3D for our 2017 models."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...s-future/ar-AAmpC9Z?li=AA4Zoy&ocid=spartanntp

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Hmmm..Interesting, where have we heard all of this before but some folks get blocked for posting such "doom and gloom" news?

Hmmmmm

:huh::P:D

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Its bad news for the format at home. Its a royal PITA for me as I will be purchasing a new display for the HT and this limits my choices since I want 3D.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Agreed. It's a PITA losing a format, but luckily you and others have early warning and can snag what's left from 2016 or earlier stock while it lasts and perhaps at a much better price point than when the sets first hit the streets.

Just don't wait too long, odds are the diehards will be snapping the older sets up and that will be it. I know 1 set you were looking at is on Amazon, but says only 6 left.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm..Interesting, where have we heard all of this before but some folks get blocked for posting such "doom and gloom" news?

Hmmmmm

:huh::P:D
News? Summing up what you said:
3D is messy, expensive. No wonder it failed. You people that like it must live in some sort of bubble. Just like DIVX, and HD-DVD, it had no chance. Don't take your ball and run home/if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the meantime, 3D discs are still being made. Not bad for a format that has been around since 2011

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Let's stop any personal back-and-forth right now!

This thread is under review. No comments will be tolerated outside of the scope of the topic at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks