What's new

~$300 to spend... any suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Alex Ray

Auditioning
I have around $300-$350 to spend. I want a nice 27" or more, high resolution TV with a pair of audio outs. I also want to be able to play video games on it, so no projection screens. I was looking at the 27" Sony WEGA Trinitron. How good is this unit. Are TV's cheaper online like car audio? If so, where at?

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I would look for a JVC, Sony or Toshiba. They all have the "Squeeze Trick" for DVD's & in my area I've seen the JVC for as low as $277 & the Sony for as low as $299 I would go to a local store & fight with them over the prices especially on the JVC & Sony because the "new" models will be coming out shortly & if they can be sold in my area for under $300 that's the price I would push the stores to sell one for. Plus the new Sony 27" model that is coming out shortly doesn't have audio output jacks. When you say 2 Audio Outputs Jacks I hope you are talking about a Red & White Jack not 2 Sets of Audio Outputs ( 2 Red & 2 White) because if you want 2 different sets of audio output jacks your not going to find them on any $300 set.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Honestly Alex, I'd save that money, put another $400 with it and get a nice 32" Hdtv from Wal-mart for $747. It seems so worth it for what your looking for. And it will pay off in the end when we all go to HD.

I see it a waste of money to buy ANY analog tv in this day and age.

David JG

Auditioning
@LaMarcus:

Even if you live in Europe in a country that doesn't have HDTV. I live in Norway and I am still shopping for a 32'' TV, but HDTV is not going to come here anytime soon as I know.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Steven_Jobe

Stunt Coordinator
Why don't people quit posting crap telling him to spend more money. Every time someone in these forums states a budget everyone always says "spend more and get an HDTV." Obviously he/she didn't want to. So here, I'll give an appropriate response. For $300 you can find the recently discontinued Samsung model which is nice at Best Buy and/or Circuit City. Also the sony model is nice however hard to find for that price(although sometimes you can). There are a few sharp/panasonic models also and I've even bought the Sansui(formerly Orion) before and have had no problems whatsoever for years. So just search around at BestBuy and Circuit City. Both have many choices in that range and most all of them are decent models(except Daewoo and Apex). WalMart even has a Sanyo(very high rated TV's right now) for $250.

BrianKR

Second Unit
A Sony Wega is about the finest direct view on the market but I have yet to see one for $300 where I live.
The Panasonic Tau is an excellent direct view as well.
If you have a BJ's wholesale warehouse near you (possibly Sam's Club has them too) you can pick up a Panasonic Tau 27" for $299.

I just picked up one for my son's bedroom for DVD and XBox gaming, he LOVES it! :emoji_thumbsup:

Ken Finch

Auditioning
I recently purchased a Symphonic 32" Stereo Analog TV for $369.99 Canadian at Walmart. It is the exact same model as a Sylvania 32" Stereo TV. It has a Remote Control as well. This TV works very well after I calibrated it using the Digital Video Essentials DVD that I purchased with the TV. This was the best TV I could find for under $400.00, By the way with tax it came to $425.49. That may be a little over your budget though, so forgive me I did see you said $300 budget though. That will get you a 27", but this was the cheapest 32" Stereo TV I could find though.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
If your looking for a Big "Cheap" 32" set, check out Best Buy's 32" Sansui at $269.99 & last week they had it on sale for $239.99 You can ckeck out all the features on the set at BB's website.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus

Yes, I'd still buy a hdtv instead. Why would you spend money on something that you KNOW is being phased out. That's like going to buy a car and the present owner says " I suspect that this car should be dead in about 2 years" but your going to need a car for the next five years. But since the 2 year car is so cheap, you buy it anyway. Just doesn't make any since to me, but, at the same time it's your money buy what ever you want.:emoji_thumbsup:

David JG

Auditioning

I agree with what you say if HDTV was going to be a reallity on 2 or even 3 years. But I don't think HDTV will come to Norway (and lots of other countries) any time soon, maybe on 5 years at least. If there is anyone that knows that HDTV is on its way in Scandinavia as it is on the States please post some information.

BTW: Where is the QUOTE poster button? I am so custom to use it in online forums that I feel it is cumbersome to have to manually copy / paste for quoting text.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks