What's new

$300 kick butt DVD players (1 Viewer)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Golly, things are getting tense!

I think it needs to be remembered that to a large extent the percieved quality of a dvd player is highly dependent on the priorities of the owner. There is no player on the market that's perfect in all areas of performance.

De-interlacing isn't the only important feature in a dvd player, in fact if your collection is mostly film based and occasional combing during special features documentaries doesn't upset you very much there may very well be other features that are more important to you--like pillarboxing of 4/3 and scaling of non-anamorphic widescreen titles.

On the other hand if you have a large collection of tv-series season sets of tape originated sitcoms and such, the superior de-interlacing of the Faroudja based players becomes much more important.

I've got a Panny with Faroudja and a JVC with scaling/pillarboxing to cover all the bases, and have a Zenith DVB318 on order as my set doesn't have DVI inputs and I'd like to check out the 1080i upconversion for myself.

I also have one of the newer Pannys without Faroudja. It will do scaling if you set it up properly but the pq is overall inferior to both the JVC and the Faroudja Panny--it's in the bedroom connected to my 18 year old Sony KV-25XBR.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Exactly Steve. My requirements include all types of DVD titles and I specifically got a Faroudja-based DVD player for improved quality of video-based titles and also for the many film-based titles that have bad flags. I saw a big improvement since day one and now would never switch to a non-Faroudja-based model.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Can I politely ask why you two gentlemen must fill the boards with all that crap? This thread isn't an isolated incident...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks