What's new

Newbie appeal for HT help (1 Viewer)

Kevin Kanda

Auditioning
Hi,
I'm moving into a new place next month (first house!) and there's a room in the basement which should make a great home theater space. I'm currently trying to figure out what the budget is going to end up as. Since the kitchen is going to need to be completely redone, it might not end up being more than a couple thousand (which I still consider myself damn lucky to have). However, I do have a receiver/amp and primary speakers that should work really well, so what I'm looking at buying is:
-DVD player. After doing some poking around, I'm looking at the Panasonic RP62 as a top candidate-- it sounds pretty amazing for the price. Has anyone here had good/bad experiences with the RP62 or the RP56 (the previous model)? Failing that, anyone want to toss some other recommendations my way for a decent progressive scan player under, say, $300-400?
-HDTV. Otherwise, not much point in getting a progressive scan player! This one's kinda kicking my butt, though-- I'd love to get a 16:9 screen, but there's no way that the really amazing entertainment cabinet my fiancee and I bought will accomodate a rear-projection TV. So, I'm looking at things like another Panasonic, the CT34WX50, 34". But it's around $3000, which is causing me to produce anime-character-like sweatdrops. Are there any decent widescreen tube HDTVs for under 3K? Or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and wait a few years for a price drop? (I'm currently watching DVDs on my PS2, my Sony amp, and my TV/VCR unit as a monitor. I can hear the teeth gnashing already. ;) )
-a sub and some surround speakers. These, I'm not going to agonize over as much, as long as they don't refuse to work and then catch on fire like my last subwoofer. (Okay, so there weren't actual flames, but there was a distinct smell of something burning, and that was good enough for me to grab for the plug and yank it out.) Still, any recommendations for good values will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for helping a newbie out!
k2

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
kevin -
since you are asking for specific recommendations of speakers, tv and dvd players - i recommend you post accordingly in the appropriate forum. no problem posting here, but i think you'll get more responses there.
also, be sure to do a search in each of the forum. just lookup "recommend" or something similar. i'm POSITIVE you'll get lots of results.
fwiw, i think the rp62 is an excellent choice. i'm pretty sure it's well liked here.
for speaker value, check out the Energy Take 5.2 System - it consistently wins awards for it's performance at an inexpensive cost.
also, check out Paradigm Speakers - they also have great speakers at reasonable costs.
sorry, dunno much about hdtv's.
good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks