What's new

3 Weeks Since 950 stopped shipping (1 Viewer)

John Cain

Second Unit
Any new word on when it will start shipping again??

I was under the impression it would start shipping again this week.

-- John

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Very soon, John. Very oon. Watch for an imminent announcement from Outlaw. I have in my possession what I consider to be the final release version of the 950.

Excellent audio.

Excellent Video.

Ready for prime time.

The beta testing is, in my opinion, history.

Let the listening begin.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
When did you get this unit that you consider to be complete?
This afternoon (4/26/02)
In fact, one picture is worth a thousand words:
Exhibits A, B & C as follows:
three950s248Small.JPG

• Left Front: The original Beta #1 unit
  • Right Front: The second unit. Improved tuner. Faster acquisition time. Slightly poorer S-Video.
  • In the rack: The Final Edition. Aurally and visually ready to ship. This one stays in the rack and is a keeper. The others go back to Outlaw to be retrofitted as "B" stock.

The third time's the charm. This baby's ready to rock and roll. The beta test is over.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
"A fabled few called them friend. Most only knew them as legends.

"But a day would soon come when they left the shadows and three outlaws would face the music.

"SHOWDOWN AT THE RAF CORRAL!!"

Starting soon at a home theater near you.

John Cain

Second Unit
Thx RAF..:emoji_thumbsup:
------------------
(John steps outside to scream)
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
RAF HAS THREE 950'S AND I CAN'T GET MY HANDS ON ONE!!!!!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!! !!!!!
:angry:
-- John
:b

Greer_R

Agent
that doesn't mean they will be SOLD Will, prizes, demo units, there are many ways not to be sold.

-Greer

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Outlaw was who mentioned the "B" stock option. Sitting here with three units (all three of them are extremely competent from and audio standpoint) I openly wondered about the disposition of the two I return. That's where "retrofitting as "B" stock entered the picture.
Outlaw has every right to do whatever they want with these "old" units to recoup some of their expenses, etc. To tell you the truth, even good old "Beta #1" with its average tuner and longer mode acquisition time, is very, very nice as a pre/pro. And to my eyes the slight degradation of the S Video signal on the second unit is something that a person could live with. You probably wouldn't even notice it unless it was pointed out and then, even in A/B testing it's close (at least on my sample.)
Unit Three (the keeper) isn't going anywhere.
Incidently, one of the side benefits of shuffling around all my components was the chance to install the 4" extensions on my Sanus Equipment rack (to accommodate the 8" high Outlaw 755 amplifier on a 12" shelf). I am happy to report that this works like a champ. I've had the amplifier on, essentially, for over 96 hours straight, give or take an hour or two during 950 exchanges) and the 755 is running so cool that it's hard to believe that this is a fan-less design. What a difference.
Here's a rough view of the extended shelf (I modified both racks for symmetry) showing the new headroom for the amp. Looks fine and does the job.
new950-241Small.JPG

Brandon B

Second Unit
March 11
"I'll probably be a "late adopter" of the final tuner since I specifically told Outlaw to wait until all pre-orders were filled before exchanging my unit for the final release version."
Today
"In the rack: The Final Edition. Aurally and visually ready to ship. This one stays in the rack and is a keeper."
Yielding to temptation, hmmmmm?:)
I would too.
BB

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I haven't had this much fun since my divorce hearing.
:angry:
When will this thing ship? As RAF said earlier:
Very soon, John. Very oon.
Until now, I thought this was a typo. But now I realize that "oon" is actually a rare Long Island dialect variant of the Dutch word "untejdyk" which means "long enough from right now to be really, really frustrating for you."
Man, this waiting is really the hits. (LA dialect.)
:)

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
Hey, don't forget about me too!
This is my brain after waiting 2 loong years for my Outlaw 950:
Link Removed ;)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I notice R.A.F.'s "final" 950 still only has three logos under the display (the surround logos). The two outlaw clones both displayed 4 such logos in their CES photos. Anyone know why?
Someone at another forum mentioned that the final 950 would also sport 4 logos but R.A.F.'s photo seems to prove that wrong.
Of course, I'm getting silly when I start going after the logos :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks