What's new

3:2 Pulldown, 2:3 Pulldown, 420p, 720p, 1080i??????? (1 Viewer)

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
OK:
Does anyone have a good resource for me to read or care to explain all of this to me?
3:2 or 2:3 which is better and which one is reverse, and is reverse better than the other one?
if a DVD player has a 2:3 or 3:2 pulldown does that automatically make it at least 480p or 720p or 1080i?
Do the 2:3/3:2 pulldowns have anything to do with the progressive signals?
Can you have a 2:3 or 3:2 pulldown without having a 480p or 720p or 1080i output?
Is it possible to have a player that does the 2:3 pulldown, but a TV that doesn't...does that mean that I need to get a TV that supports a DVD player with that capability? Can I have the ability in the DVD player and not in the TV and still get the advantages? or vise versa?
Thanks in advance for answering all the questions (if you think you are up to it) and thank you for those of you who just send me somewhere to read about it all! God bless!
------------------
In Him,
GH
My Home
Theater

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Grady,
This is a bit self serving, but the best staring place for answering your questions is our website, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, Link Removed
We have a series of DVD technology articles, and the one germane to your 3:2 vs 2:3 pulldown (really the same thing) is at this link: Link Removed
3:2 pulldown is explicitly 480p. No DVD player that adheres to the spec outputs higher than 480p, which would technically be scaling, as the max resolution is 480p for NTSC (US).
If the TV has 3:2 pulldown, the TV would only do pulldown on an interlaced source, as a progressive source would already be sending out a 60 frame signal.
Hope this helped.
Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Contributing Writer
Link Removed

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
3/2 pulldown and 2/3 pulldown is the same thing, just different wording.
All U.S. (and other countries) video with a field (1080i and NTSC/480i too) or frame (480p or 720p) rate of about 60 per second uses 3/2 pulldown (or some blending formula that is usually inferior) to display standard 24 frame per second movies. If you single step using your VCR, you can see the 3, 2, 3, 2 repeat pattern of 3/2 pulldown on film source programs, while on non-film source you will see that every video field is different as you single step.
The term as it applies to converting interlaced to progressive really should be "3/2 pulldown sensing and optimizing". In a DVD player this is normally done by paying attention to flags that accompany the video digital data but it can also be done, although less foolproof, by analyzing the picture content.
If your progressive scan DVD player has 3/2 pulldown (sensing and optimizing) the TV does not need to have it but the TV will need to have 480p progressive scan input capability. If the TV has 3/2 it will perform same on interlaced input but not on progressive input. When both DVD player and TV have 3/2, let the DVD player do it by using the progressive connections*. If you have a progressive DVD player without 3/2 (I don't know of any) and a TV with, you need to use the interlaced output of the player going to the TV!
Other video hints:http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
* Although all DVD players deal with the video as interlaced during at least one stage in the video signal path, doing the conversion to progressive in the player is generally better because fewer digital to analog and analog to digital conversions are performed. THis quality difference may be rendered miniscule particularly for non-film sources (no 3/2 pulldown involved) depending on how well the TV and DVD player do their progressive scan conversion.
"I'm having a bad hair day, correction, bad Charles Osgood day, I keep flipping on the radio just in time to miss his hourly feature."
[Edited last by Allan Jayne on July 18, 2001 at 07:46 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks