What's new

21st Century Schizoid Band (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Tour dates & info
Members of the old King Crimson are doing a tour of England in the fall. The lineup is:
Michael Giles, Ian McDonald, Peter Giles, Jakko M. Jakszyk and Mel Collins
Michael Giles and Ian McDonald (drums and sax) are from the original (Court of the Crimson King) lineup, Mel Collins took over for McDonald after he quit and was in the band for a couple of years, and Peter Giles (Michael's brother, bass) was in the pre-Crimson pop group Giles, Giles, and Fripp and played on the second Crimson album, In the Wake of Poseidon.
Greg Lake and Robert Fripp are not doing this because they have other interests and are big stars (well, relatively :) ). Fripp, of course, is leading the current Crimson.
I've never heard or heard of Jakko M. Jakszyk. Allmusic.com says he played with Tom Robinson, who's music I'm not familiar with.
While it's odd to thing of hearing Crimson music w/o Fripp, he did not develop his unique voice until after that music was created. While he was an excellent guitarist, I believe that a good guitarist and play that stuff.
I wish I could go see them. It looks like fun!

MichaelAW

Second Unit
I'd like to see the Canterbury festival, not only for the 21cSB, but also Jack Bruce, All About Eve, and Mostly Autumn (whom I've heard very good things about).
Alas, no trips to the UK this year for me. :frowning:

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Mostly Autumn (whom I've heard very good things about).
Actually, I just picked up a CD of theirs. Quite interesting. Kind of a cross between Pink Floyd and folk. I've been told there are better CDs than what I picked up,tho...

Jason

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Fripp has been trying to encourage a "King Crimson without Fripp" for a while now, probably to dispell the myth that he is King Crimson.
Yes, this is true. He doesn't like the conception many have that he is the "main guy" of Crimson. He says that you can tell a band is a group if they share the money (as opposed to one guy paying the others). He also doesn't like the baggage of the old Crimson for his career, like people being angry that they don't play the old stuff.

NP: Ella Fitzgerald, Ella at Juan-les-Pins

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I like that one, too. It's odd but fun to see the humorous side of Fripp once in a while, and the songs are pretty damn good.

Have you ever heard the Brondesbury Tapes? I have yet to pick this up. It has an early version of I Talk To The Wind.

NP: Miles Davis, Miles Davis With Horns

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
Have you ever heard the Brondesbury Tapes? I have yet to pick this up. It has an early version of I Talk To The Wind.
I never even knew they did anything besides "Cheerful Insanity" before today. I looked on GEMM to see if I could find a copy on vinyl and noticed that there's a "Brondesbury Tapes" as well as "Metamorphosis". I may pick them up eventually but my Wish List is sitting at about 300 items right now :frowning:.
-Mike...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks