What's new

2021 Oscar Nominations And Discussion Thread. (1 Viewer)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I hate the lack of clips from the nominated films.

For the most part, as I've said, I don't see much necessity for film clips any more. And, as I said, I can't think of other award shows that use them any more.

Worst Oscars ever. Worse than I feared it would be. A disaster of epic proportions. Sad.

Exaggerate much? What you look for, you find, I guess. I loved them.

Agree with Sam, here, except for the film clips remark. When they do have film clips everyone complains about the ones they chose. How could they choose that, why didn't they choose this?

I give them credit for what they did. It was classy (Golden Globes couldn't say that), it was dignified, it was intimate, and they, for once, gave winners a chance to speak. That's all good. But there was no levity, no humor, no clips (which are so important), no music, no performances. And they still went over 3 hours.

A little more levity would've been welcome, but then everyone would be complaining about the lame jokes. You can't win.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
When they do have film clips everyone complains about the ones they chose. How could they choose that, why didn't they choose this?

Complaints about clips mostly occur if they select something that spoils the film. If the clip is well chosen, it can represent the film without ruining major plot points.

The idea of the film clips is to show the audience a sample of what is being recognized. In theory, this should help make people want to see the rest of it and seek out the film. It gives context for the viewer, which is especially important in a year when most people didn't see the films.

A little more levity would've been welcome, but then everyone would be complaining about the lame jokes. You can't win.

It sounds like you are going to have that sort of comeback for anything anyone posts here. I certainly think that when somebody puts on a show that they want people to watch, it is reasonable for the people who watched it to have opinions and to share those opinions. If they don't want to provoke discussion of the ceremony, why televise it at all? They put on the show and we talk about it. That's how it works.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Exaggerate much? What you look for, you find, I guess. I loved them.
Good for you. I hated yesterday’s telecast. And I’m one of Oscars biggest defenders every year.
For the most part, as I've said, I don't see much necessity for film clips any more. And, as I said, I can't think of other award shows that use them any more.
And, as I said, good for you.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If Boseman was still alive today, we would not be having this conversation right now because Best Picture would have been awarded last. Moving Actor to the end was a direct result of Boseman's death, which is what makes it so tacky and disgusting as a choice.
Yeah, it was downright exploitative. I assume that Boseman's wife or family would have come up to accept on his behalf and they would have made a very real and very moving speech. It'd be nice that they had a large forum to talk about their loved one and it would be nice that the Academy was honoring Boseman's work but utilizing the grief of his family to be the 'climax' of an awards show is pretty ghoulish.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it was downright exploitative. I assume that Boseman's wife or family would have come up to accept on his behalf and they would have made a very real and very moving speech. It'd be nice that they had a large forum to talk about their loved one and it would be nice that the Academy was honoring Boseman's work but utilizing the grief of his family to be the 'climax' of an awards show is pretty ghoulish.

they didn’t do that for Heath Ledger

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I haven’t seen either performance but from what I’ve heard Hopkins deserved it more than Bozeman.

Those of you that have seen both, do you agree?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm waiting to see The Father because it is a premium rental price right now and I don't want to pay that much. But I've heard a lot of people say they were both great and both deserving, which is probably the case. There can, of course, be multiple great performances in a single year even though only one person actually gets the prize.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I haven’t seen either performance but from what I’ve heard Hopkins deserved it more than Bozeman.

Those of you that have seen both, do you agree?

I'm waiting to see The Father because it is a premium rental price right now and I don't want to pay that much. But I've heard a lot of people say they were both great and both deserving, which is probably the case. There can, of course, be multiple great performances in a single year even though only one person actually gets the prize.

What Jake said. I actually saw both films back to back yesterday (Watched "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom" on Netflix, then rushed to the Cinemark to see "The Father"). Both are great performances. If you are forced to choose one over the other (and the other 3 nominees), as Oscar voters are, you have to find a reason, no matter how small. And the reason I found was rooted in the difference between acting for film and acting onstage. Hopkins was perfect throughout, hitting every beat with just the right choice. But MRBB felt more like a filmed play than a film, and there were just a couple of moments where I felt Boseman overplayed it a bit. Another way to put it - if this exact performance had been on Broadway in a revival of MRBB, Boseman would have had a legitimate chance at a Tony.

But let me me clear - both performances and films are very much worth your time.

I highly recommend everyone check out "The Father" when you can. It is not the film you might think it is. The less you know about it going in the better. It engages both the intellect and the emotions equally, which is a rare trick. It is my second favorite film of the year (between "Nomadland" and "Soul").

And there is no reason not to login to Netflix and queue up "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom". It is a highly entertaining hour and a half, full of great music and great performances, not just by Boseman, but the entire cast. And Viola Davis is a force of nature as the title character.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I didn't bother watching last night, but I just saw the clip of the In Memorium segment and I was appalled at how disrespectful it was. The names went by so fast it felt like someone pressed fast forward, and some biggies like Jessica Walter were missing.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I didn't bother watching last night, but I just saw the clip of the In Memorium segment and I was appalled at how disrespectful it was. The names went by so fast it felt like someone pressed fast forward, and some biggies like Jessica Walter were missing.

I think maybe because Walter is arguably more well known from television than film. She’ll certainly be included in the next emmys

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
they didn’t do that for Heath Ledger

Ledger was Supporting Actor, so even if they thought about it, it just would've seemed TOO weird to end the show on Best Supporting Actor.

Granted, it felt odd to finish with Best Actor, but at least it's a "bigger award" than BSA...

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Another reason I was disappointed in yesterday’s telecast is because I look forward to the Oscars every year. I love every minute of it no matter how long it was.

To me, yesterday’s show didn’t seem like the Oscars at all. Much of it due to the pandemic and its effect on the film industry.

But the choices made by the producers in too many instances were downright stupid. And made the show deathly dull. I like my Oscars big loud and epic. Hopefully that’s what we’ll get next year.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I just read the six pages of remarks about the Oscars and what I have to say now is that no matter what AMPAS does with their award show in the years to come people will trot out their complaints about it. At least based on what all of you have been saying.

The Oscars are what they are. They always have been. At least as far as when they started airing on TV in the early 50's. People have been arguing about the same things with the Oscars since then.

WE'VE BEEN HAVING THE SAME FIGHTS ABOUT THE OSCARS FOR 70 YEARS
https://www.vulture.com/2021/04/oscars-history-the-same-fights.html

In decades of watching the Oscars I've never complained about the show. People talk about it like it should be a complete satisfying whole. Think of it as a variety show. You'll like some of it, you won't like some of it. Currently MLB games are often longer than an Oscar show. You might like some of it or find a lot of it boring or whatever, and you may or may not like the winner. It is what it is and pretty much always has been. And for those who complain about it every year, including journalists, no one ever comes up with any good ways to improve what they complain about.

What I disliked most about this years awards are most of the movies that were nominated. But that's what was out there to nominate this year. I can't think of anything major that was available to nominate that was completely ignored.

Though I would've liked it better had there been more movies I liked and was invested in, like there was last year, I loved the show. I first loved the pre-show with the five nominated songs performed, most at the Academy's new museum space that looks out across the Hollywood hills. When the songs are done during the actual show it feels like they're interrupting what people have tuned in for, to see who wins the awards. If you're at a party or gathering, people usually aren't much paying much attention to the songs, they're chatting about "what just won something, or didn't win." This year I was attentive to all of the performances in the pre-show. It was much better than asking celebrities the same banal questions on the red carpet and "who are you wearing?" The pre-show was very classy and very well executed.

I loved the setting for the show at Union Station and I was fine with how the whole evening went. Putting the songs in the pre-show left time to just let everyone who won say what they wanted to say. Viewers are always saying they want to stop having the orchestra trying to play a person offstage who's speaking while the person speaking gets annoyed at that and comments on it. That was eliminated. They let the winners speak. But did that satisfy the people always complaining that they don't? No, I've read several reviews of the show saying this about that: There were endless speeches. Saying nothing."

Those who are complaining about the absence of film clips? Why? Before streaming services and computers and the pretty easy access for people to see the nominated movies, film clips were a nice tool for people to watch, but they're not necessary any more. The brief acting clips they used to show have long been absent. The clips have mostly been relegated to showing the Best Picture nominees, but have mostly been montages of the movies which tell you next to nothing. And those clamoring for film clips...what other movie award shows still do that? If this show was the only movie award show, that might be a different matter.

I agree that they always seem to screw up in some way somehow the In Memoriam segment. They should put that in the pre-show, too. I did not like that song quiz segment. It didn't seem spontaneous, but rather staged. It was awkward at the least. As for the harsh reaction to having the Best Picture Award before the Lead Actress and Actor Awards. So? They tried something. It didn't work, one, because Boseman didn't win and two, because Hopkins wasn't there.

So why is that such a horrible thing? With 5-10 nominated best films every year, more than half the people, and I'd wager a lot more, don't even like the film that wins best picture. A lot of people have favorites that won't even get nominated for Best Film. So to have an acting award or two after that, that more people might be able to appreciate than the film winner, it actually makes sense. But to say, as some of you have, it was bone-headed and the reason it didn't work is that it was to honor Boseman, and so it sucked because he didn't win, is pretty short-sided. I've seen some Oscars that AMPAS has on their youtube channel where they gave out an award or two after the Best Picture award. Usually an honorary award or the Humanitarian award.

In a similar vein, remember when Spielberg, Lucas and Coppola all came on stage to present the directing award to Scorcese because it was thought he would win. He did win. If he hadn't? It led some to say they already new he was going to win. So, you take some chances. Nothing wrong with that, but I guess apparently some people on here disagree.

Complain! Complain! Complain! Blah...blah...blah...

WE'VE BEEN HAVING THE SAME FIGHTS ABOUT THE OSCARS FOR 70 YEARS
https://www.vulture.com/2021/04/oscars-history-the-same-fights.html
EDIT: I actually read the article and it had some very good points

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
They found room for Ja'Net Dubois.

Filmography​

Film​

YearTitleRoleNotes
1966A Man Called AdamMartha
1969J.T.Rodeen Gamble
1973Five on the Black Hand SideStormy Monday
1977A Piece of the ActionNellie Bond
1983The Tom Swift and Linda Craig Mystery HourMrs. GormanTV movie
1986StrandedBettinaTV movie
1987Kids Like TheseMrs. PageTV movie
1988I'm Gonna Git You SuckaMa Bell
1990Heart ConditionMrs. Stone
1990Hammer, Slammer, & SladeJoanne WilsonTV movie
1990Penny Ante: The Motion PictureAunt
1993Harlan & MerleenMaxineTV movie
1995Magic IslandLucretia
1996Sophie & the MoonhangerAgnesTV movie
1996Don't Look BackMrs. LawsonTV movie
1998Best Friends for LifeKatie PeguesTV movie
1998Hard TimeLeftyTV movie
1999Hard Time: Hostage HotelLefty, Logan's AssistantTV movie
2000WaterproofViola Battle
2003Charlie's Angels: Full ThrottleMomma Bosley
2016She's Got a PlanBetty Angelo

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I think maybe because Walter is arguably more well known from television than film. She’ll certainly be included in the next emmys

Filmography​

Film​

YearTitleRolesNotesRf.
1964LilithLaura[1]
1966Grand PrixPat StoddardNominated — Golden Globe Award for New Star of the Year – Actress[2][3]
1966The GroupLibby[2]
1968Bye Bye BravermanInez Braverman[4]
1969Number OneJulie Catlan[4]
1971Play Misty for MeEvelyn DraperNominated — Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Drama[2][3]
1979GoldengirlMelody[5]
1981Going Ape!Fiona[4]
1983Spring FeverCelia Berryman[4]
1984Terror in the AislesEvelyn DraperArchival footage
The Flamingo KidPhyllis Brody[6]
1988TapeheadsKay Mart[4]
1993Ghost in the MachineElaine Spencer[4]
1994PCUPresident Garcia-Thompson[7]
1995TemptressDr. Phyllis Evergreen[7]
1998Slums of Beverly HillsDoris Zimmerman[6]
2003DummyFern[4][6]
2006Unaccompanied MinorsCindi[6]
2012Bending the RulesLena Gold[8]
2017Undercover GrandpaMaddy Harcourt[9]
Keep the ChangeCarrie[6][10]
2020The MimicEstelleFinal film role[11]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks