What's new

2021 Oscar Nominations And Discussion Thread. (1 Viewer)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^
Thank you, B-Roll, your posts prove my point. I answered the post when someone posited that Jessica Walter should've been included and someone replied that she was known more for TV than movies. So is Ja'Net Dubois, who they did include. Thank you.

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
it would be nice that the Academy was honoring Boseman's work but utilizing the grief of his family to be the 'climax' of an awards show is pretty ghoulish.

They would not have done it without the family's permission.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Why does this bother you so much? You seem very offended by it.

As I already expressed multiple times throughout this thread, I think that restructuring the show so that the final moments would be focused on the loss of a dead guy is manipulative and exploitative. If a win for Boseman had panned out, it would have been highly emotional regardless of where they put his category. There was no reason to treat it any differently than they would have with a living winner. His death is the only reason that the leading acting awards were last. They wanted to use the grief surrounding his passing to sign off with a bang. That's gross to me. Honoring his work in the body of the ceremony is one thing. Deliberately restructuring the ceremony for the first time ever in order to maximize the attention to his loss at the end is something else entirely.

@TravisR is right:

utilizing the grief of his family to be the 'climax' of an awards show is pretty ghoulish.

The producers of the show decide how to sequence the show. They had no obligation to run their plans by Boseman's family. Unless you are Boseman's family, you don't know what went down.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Now it looks like one of the most talked ad hoc moments - maybe wasn't ...

Glenn Close is probably the best living actress who hasn't won yet. It is certainly within her capabilities to make it look totally spontaneous even if it wasn't.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'd guess they were told (not asked) that the award was moved to the end and they could have declined to participate at that point but realistically, anyone in that situation would have just agreed to pretty much anything because they expected Boseman to win and they would want to honor his work. And even if they were fully onboard with the idea, I can still find it to be in very poor taste.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Whether planned or unplanned Ms. Close DID do “Da Butt”, so what’s the diff? Bottom line, to coin a phrase, I loved it.:thumbs-up-smiley:
That was my point! I did too. I was replying to B-Roll's post which made it sound like Breaking News.
But, the notion that Glenn Close would have encyclopedic knowlege of that tune from decades ago. I mean, come on.

Last edited:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
^^^
Thank you, B-Roll, your posts prove my point. I answered the post when someone posited that Jessica Walter should've been included and someone replied that she was known more for TV than movies. So is Ja'Net Dubois, who they did include. Thank you.

that was me who commented about Walter, but yeah it looks like there is an inconsistency there. Maybe it has to do more with Walter finishing her career on TV. Who knows

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Glenn Close is probably the best living actress who hasn't won yet. It is certainly within her capabilities to make it look totally spontaneous even if it wasn't.

i don’t know why people go so ga-ga for an older person doing something “hip”

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
As I already expressed multiple times throughout this thread,

Yes. That's why I know you're so offended by it. You're obsessing over it like it was some personal insult to you. You are being way too cynical. You really think their intentions were manipulative and exploitative? Well, that tells me something about you. That "Name That Song" was manipulative and exploitative. Not this. They move categories around on the show all the time for different reasons. Screenplay awards aren't usually first in line, they were this year.

The producers of the show decide how to sequence the show. They had no obligation to run their plans by Boseman's family. Unless you are Boseman's family, you don't know what went down.

You certainly comment like you know everything. The producers have to run everything they want to do by more people than I guess you know. They have rehearsals for the show. Everything is discussed and planned out to the point of exhaustion. Just because you were offended doesn't mean you know everything. They have to answer to AMPAS' Board of Directors, ABC, the advertisers, etc.

As I pointed out in another post some time ago, the Best Picture Award is usually the last award given, but that's not always been the case. One example, in 1953, after they gave out the Best Picture award, this is what followed:

--"Forbidden Games" received Foreign Language Film Award
--Joseph M. Schenck and Merian C. Cooper received Honorary Oscars
--Harold Lloyd received an Honorary Oscar
--1953 Sci-Tech Awards were given
--Bob Hope's Wrap Up

People have watched the Oscars to relish in the unexpected things that happen there. Like a streaker in 1974, Marlon Brando sending an Indian to refuse his Oscar, people saying/reading the wrong winner, surprise winners.

As a decades long Oscar watcher I have no problem with what went down at the awards this year. Though the list of movies this year were far from my favorites, I appreciated the show this year, it was a breath of fresh air. At the very least, I see nothing to get angry at and to hold a grudge. There's enough offense to be found almost anywhere if one looks for it, but why spend so much precious time looking for it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes. That's why I know you're so offended by it. You're obsessing over it like it was some personal insult to you. You are being way too cynical. You really think their intentions were manipulative and exploitative? Well, that tells me something about you. That "Name That Song" was manipulative and exploitative. Not this. They move categories around on the show all the time for different reasons. Screenplay awards aren't usually first in line, they were this year.

You certainly comment like you know everything. The producers have to run everything they want to do by more people than I guess you know. They have rehearsals for the show. Everything is discussed and planned out to the point of exhaustion. Just because you were offended doesn't mean you know everything. They have to answer to AMPAS' Board of Directors, ABC, the advertisers, etc.

As I pointed out in another post some time ago, the Best Picture Award is usually the last award given, but that's not always been the case. One example, in 1953, after they gave out the Best Picture award, this is what followed:

--"Forbidden Games" received Foreign Language Film Award
--Joseph M. Schenck and Merian C. Cooper received Honorary Oscars
--Harold Lloyd received an Honorary Oscar
--1953 Sci-Tech Awards were given
--Bob Hope's Wrap Up

People have watched the Oscars to relish in the unexpected things that happen there. Like a streaker in 1974, Marlon Brando sending an Indian to refuse his Oscar, people saying/reading the wrong winner, surprise winners.

As a decades long Oscar watcher I have no problem with what went down at the awards this year. Though the list of movies this year were far from my favorites, I appreciated the show this year, it was a breath of fresh air. At the very least, I see nothing to get angry at and to hold a grudge. There's enough offense to be found almost anywhere if one looks for it, but why spend so much precious time looking for it.
You seem to be a little putout by those that don't share your opinion of this year's Oscar ceremony. If other people want to get angry or hold a grudge against the Oscars, that's their right to do so. You don't have to agree with it, but being confrontational about it, isn't cool either.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I didn't know disagreeing or challenging someone else's opinions is considered confrontational. No one's had any problem confronting mine.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I'll apologize to those who feel I've been hostile to them, maybe I've been argumentative with everyone else ganging up on me, but I feel no hostility to anyone in discussing their views.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't think anyone intended to "gang up on" you. At least I didn't.

We obviously disagree over the handling of the ceremony, and that's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks