What's new

2009 MLB Thread (2 Viewers)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'm actually blown away that it's the bottom of the 13th and only 11pm.... If this were a Sox/Yankees game, it would only be the 7th inning. LOL

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
That was a chippy win for the BoSox over the Phillies tonight. Lester was brilliant, but Blanton wasn't too bad, either. Too bad Lester had to leave the game when he did. And Papelbon's look after Howard homered off of Ramirez was priceless!

After Ryan Howard tied the game up at 2-2, I thought Philadelphia would win (being at home in extra innings and all). But when the BoSox brought in Masterson, I felt good about our chances for at least two more innings. And when Bard is on the mound for Boston, no one beats us -- especially in games where he hits at least two batters. ;)

It's pleasing to see Boston with MLB's second-best record (at least for a day --LOL). We need this game, since Matsuzaka is pitching next, and the Phillies will probably feast on him with the long ball. Besides, his control hasn't been very good at all thus far this season. Beckett will get the call in the wrap-up, so that's good for the Sox too with the way he has been pitching lately. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And if you haven't seen how the Yanks beat the Mets tonight...you've got to give it a look-see. It might even make Brian forget about Milton for a few seconds! ;)

Before you play the clip...realize there's two outs in the 9th. A-Rod is at bat with runners on first & second. The Yankees are losing by one run:

Click HERE!

EricW

Senior HTF Member
it was unbelievable. i'm just glad it wasn't Cano or Melky rounding the bases... one/both of them would have been caught walking :P

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I have it on tape, and have seen it four times now.

The best part of that play for me was Teixeira's hustle. Man, my respect for him just continues to increase. I think this is almost as impressive as his twenty home runs this year. That kind of mindset wins games, and it's another of the reasons I wanted him in a BoSox uniform.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but "A-Rod becomes the hero"?? Ummmm :crazy:LOL - I was going to post something like that this morning...although the ending of my post would have been: "...but LA doesn't count, so we're technically First" :D:laugh:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
They really should have - that "foul ball" in the 11th was pretty clearly behind the pole as it passed. Why Manuel wasn't pitching more of a fit and demanding replay is beyond me.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jason,

I honestly couldn't tell, and the umpires said it was foul. Interesting too that they chose not to review it. Did you think it was fair?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
He did argue, he said after the game the ump refused to call the main office to look at it saying he had it all the way.
I couldm't tell on tv but it was sure close enough to allow for a look at it on replay.
Hogwash, that's what the replay is for, this ump thinks he's too important to
look at a replay that may show him to be wrong.

btw that Mets loss was one of the greatest things I have ever seen Happen to the Mets.

So funny.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely. I'm just one guy with an HD DVR, but the shot from behind home plate clearly showed the ball disappearing behind the foul pole. If the manager did ask that it be replayed, and the ump refused to do it, the umpire should be disciplined. (And Manuel probably should have kicked up enough of a stink to get run, just to make everything perfectly clear.)

I didn't see the Mets thing until later, but, damn, that stinks for them. The kind-of-annoying thing is that something similar happened to the Yankees a couple days before, from the other side: I was at Thursday night's game at Fenway (yes, it was awesome), and with two outs and nobody on, the Yankees actually started jogging off the field while Ortiz's pop-up was in the air. Damon dropped it, and unfortunately Ortiz isn't fast enough to get to second despite the fact that Cano and Jeter were halfway to the dugout (and Varitek made an out in the next at-bat), so they didn't pay for it. Somehow, this seems like the exact opposite of karmic payback.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
But the rule is that the ump has sole discretion on whether or not to check the replay...if he believes he made the right call (no matter how right or wrong he is), there'd be no reason for him to check.

p.s. The Sox are off to a superb start tonight!!!!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm right off first base.

Jeez the phils stink tonight.
3 errors in the first inning.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mark,

I was surprised that the Phillies manager didn't argue the call all that much. Sure, there was the obligatory appearance and some jawing, but not vehement enough for me to believe that he thought the ball was fair.

Thank goodness the BoSox have their hitting shoes on tonight. The Phillies came back to trailing by only one run (5-4), but since then, the Sox have scored five more runs, and the Phillies have scored one. It's currently 10-5 in the top of the seventh, and the Sox have the bases loaded with one out -- with Okajima at the plate! [ :laugh: ] I think he just grounded into a double play.

Do you think Lugo wants to keep his job? He's 4-4 tonight, with two RBIs. But Green has been showing a lot of promise -- and he has that cannon for an arm -- the past few games.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's Francona's new brainstorm - play Lugo once a week, and he'll cram a week's worth of production into that game.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

End, game, end. I've got a pile of screeners to review and this is the second night in a row where my plan to stick one in after the end of the movie has been foiled.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
11-6! Sox Win!

I kept hearing about how this series was supposed to be the "mother of all series"...NESN kept boasting the sluggers of Philly, but it looks like the Sox are slugging. :eek:

The Sox are on the mother of all rolls.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's certainly looking like they'll come out of this series against four division leaders (or, at least, four teams that led the division at the start of the series
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
) in pretty good shape, with the next really difficult-looking opponent coming when they face Toronto and Texas after the all-star break. I'll take as much of that as possible, because New York is playing everyone else well and teams that score more runs than they allow don't stay under .500 the way Tampa has so far.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I hope Beckett keeps up his superb pitching today.

Mark,

Hmmm. Didn't you write something similar about the Yankees before Boston faced them? Hmmm. ;)

The Sox are the second hottest team in baseball right now (8-2). But how about those Rockies? The good news is that they've won ten straight. The bad news? They're in the same division as the Dodgers, and now sit 10.5 games behind them.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I know; things can change rather quickly, but the good news is, the Sox weren't as bad as the Yanks were "pre-on-a-roll" so I don't think that the Sox are gonna fall as bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.