What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

2007-2008 MLB Hot Stove (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Yeah. I don't know how much A-Rod had to do with the announcement during the World Series, but between the two of them you'd think they could come up with a single ounce of respect for the game that pays their salaries. I don't know of one person, including Yanks fans, who didn't think that was bush league. Start off with that move and its no wonder Boras continued to drop the ball on this one.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if locking in $27.5M/year for the rest of one's career necessarily counts as "dropping the ball". It's not quite the contract they might have hoped for, but there's also still time for the Angels to make an offer.

Seriously, if A-Rod and Boras have managed to lock that sort of money in for playing baseball at the age of 41 - about the same as what he would have made for the next three years, and almost undoubtedly more than he would have made for the seven years after - they've done pretty darn well.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
From what I read today, Warren Buffet was instrumental in getting A-Rod in touch with the Goldman executives who ultimately brokered the deal. I think Boras was fired, though they might allow him to save face in some way.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
The Angels traded Orlando Cabrera to the White Sox for Jon Garland. Interesting move. It either opens up SS for Brandon Wood or it gives them the added pitching to make a move for Miguel Cabrera. Right now, I like the move but if it turns out to be all they do...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Woo-freakin'-hoo! That's the news I've been waiting for since the season's end! :emoji_thumbsup: Nice.

Seems like a good deal for the player and the club, too.

And I guess some guy named Rodriguez won the AL MVP?! :confused:

LewB

Screenwriter
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba..._for_45_m.html
Mo re-signs with the Yanks.

While I think Mo is definite for the HOF, I was concerned this year that his saves seemed to become more difficult (difficult by Mo standards).
I'd love to see him come up with a 3rd pitch. A curve or a splitter perhaps. Something that changes planes up and down on the way in to the hitter.
It looks like hitters had figured out how to make contact with his other pitches.
Again, I am applying standards that are not meant for mere mortals. I am truly spoiled.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Please let it be Mark Cuban... Baseball needs him, and not the Friend Of Bud presumed to be the front-runner.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

You gotta figure he'd be good...not only for the Cubbies...but for baseball itself. Kind of a cross between Bill Veeck and Charlie Finlay...maybe with a little Comiskey thrown in for good measure. I think baseball could use a little excitement of that kind. :)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The National League in particular. They could really use a couple owners like Steinbrenner & Henry that will make the other teams work for their postseason appearances. In the AL, teams know they have to either be better than one of the Red Sox or Yankees or be in a crap division to make the playoffs; NL teams just have to convince themselves that they can come out on top of the scrum of 85-ish-win teams.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

A very exciting player.

In 2007, 212 hits, 38 doubles, 20 triples and 30 HRs! Throw in 94 RBIs, 139 Runs Scored and 41 SBs for good measure along with 49 walks and a .296 BA. :emoji_thumbsup:

LewB

Screenwriter
I for one would love to see Joba in that role. From what I saw last season, not only does he have un-hittable stuff but he has the right attitude for the job. Jim Kaat used to say that relievers need to have a short memory and be able think they can get anyone out today even if they got hit yesterday. I think Joba has that attitude.
It would be nice if the rotation could be built without Joba and use him like Mo used to be. He could be setup man and then spotted as the closer to see how he does. He could then take over for Mo when it's time for Mo to pack it in.
I would sit down with Joba and his agent and tell him that the Yanks would value ($) him as a setup/closer as much as they would if he was a starter.
I'd then do something the Yanks never do and offer him some sort of deal before he's eligible for free-agency.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
are the Red Sox seriously going to go after Santana?!?!? holy crap, imagine if they got him. BEST ROTATION EVER... though seriously, it's probably just posturing by the parties involved to get the best price out of the Yankees...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks