What's new

2005 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Mattingly is one of my favorite players of all-time since I followed his career from the time he played "A" ball at Greensboro to 1995, with that being said, he doesn't belong in the HOF. It's ashamed he hurt his back which took away much of his batting ability with that cork-screw swing of his, but those are the breaks.

As far as Kirby Puckett, he was fortunate to have shined on 2 WS Championship teams. I'm sure that, along with his good relationship (prior to his post-career problems) with the media and his early retirement due to his eyesight condition contributed to the baseball writers voting him into the Hall. It would be nice, if Bernie Williams can have one more season in which he hits .300 and drives in 100 runs before retirement. That along with another WS victory could possibly put him in the HOF too.

I'm hoping that Rice, Sutter and Gossage get in next year because I think all three players deserved to be so honor.

Crawdaddy

Phil L

Supporting Actor

I hope Bernie finishes his career well and I hope he finally gets some recognition for what he's already done, though I don't think that he can do anything at this point to get himself in the HOF. Just because he compares favorably to Puckett doesn't make me think that he belongs in the HOF, it makes me believe that Puckett getting in was a mistake.

Career stats:

Puckett: 360/477/318
Williams: 388/488/301

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I also think Puckett was a questionable choice. Even if he deserved it, I doubt Williams will get in, though a few years ago I thought he had a chance. Future HoF voters will need to use some sort of deflator when comparing offensive stats from the 90s onward with those that came before.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks