2005 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick_S, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

January 4, 2005 is when they announce the results of the BBWAA Hall of Fame voting.

Here are the names of the twenty-seven players who are on this year’s ballot. (Just as a side note I have also included the number of years they have been on the ballot.)

JIM ABBOTT: (1st)
    BERT BLYLEVEN: (8th)
    WADE BOGGS: (1st)
    TOM CANDIOTTI: (1st)
    DAVE CONCEPCION: (12th)
    CHILI DAVIS: (1st)
    ANDRE DAWSON: (4th)
    STEVE GARVEY: (13th)
    RICH GOSSAGE: (6th)
    TOMMY JOHN: (11th)
    MARK LANGSTON: (1st)
    DON MATTINGLY: (5th)
    JACK McDOWELL: (1st)
    WILLIE MCGEE: (1st)
    JEFF MONTGOMERY: (1st)
    JACK MORRIS: (6th)
    DALE MURPHY: (7th)
    OTIS NIXON: (1st)
    DAVE PARKER: (9th)
    TONY PHILLIPS: (1st)
    JIM RICE: (11th)
    RYNE SANDBERG: (3rd)
    LEE SMITH: (3rd)
    TERRY STEINBACH: (1st)
    DARRYL STRAWBERRY: (1st)
    BRUCE SUTTER: (12th)
    ALAN TRAMMELL: (4th)

Scanning the list I wouldn’t have to think twice about voting for the following:

Boggs
    Gossage
    Rice
    Sandberg
    Smith

Some of the others I would have to think about and some are a definite no.

Who would you vote for?

2. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    I think it's time to let Jack Morris in. He dominated the 80s, won 4 World Series (was THE main reason how 3 of them were won). ERA a little high, but he did pitch most of his career in Tiger Stadium, which was a total hitters park.

Plus, his 10-inning win against Atlanta in game 7 of the 1991 series was one of the most incredible things I've ever seen.

Don't get me wrong here. I HATE the guy. Yes, I loved him when I was a kid rooting for the Tigers, but when he left it was a real sign as to how free agency would (and has) destroyed the game.

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Bert Blyleven needs to be in. He is just as deserving as anyone else on the current list. He should have been in for years now. Until he is in the HOF I will call the whole process a sham.

4. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Boggs, Gossage, Sandberg, Rice, Murphy...

I think we use today's numbers to shade what we expect of a hall of famer; in their respective eras, the players above were dominant forces in the game (Gossage, for pete sake!)

5. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Boggs, Sandberg, Blyleven, Murphy should get in, but only Boggs is a sure-thing.

To me, Murphy is the most glaring omission. For a number of years in the '80's, he was considered the best all-around player in the game by many.

6. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

I would pick Andre Dawson, Wade Boggs, Ryan Sandberg, Bert Blyleven, Dale Murphy, and Alan Trammel. Why isn't Lou Whitaker on the list? I would like to see the Tigers long running Double Play combination get in at the same time. That would be one awesome ceremony. [​IMG]

7. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Definitely Boggs and Morris. I can't understand why Morris isn't in yet other than not getting along well with sportswriters.

Possibly also Blyleven, John, Sandberg, Smith and Sutter.

Gossage was certainly dominating at times but as I recall, he was inconsistent and didn't last all that long. I'd think Sutter and Smith are more deserving as relievers.

Rice was a feared hitter in his prime but his lifetime stats make him seem a borderline not-quite HoFer to me. I realize it's unfair to compare his stats to today's inflated numbers but he didn't exactly play in the dead ball era either.

8. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Deserving:
    Blyleven
    Boggs
    Sandberg
    Smith
    Sutter

Borderline:
    Gossage
    Murphy
    Morris

Of the above, I see only Boggs as a sure bet this year. Murphy probably benefited from constant exposure on WTBS although he didn't have the longetivity that one associates with a slugger.

9. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I think a better way to say it is that Murphy chose to leave the game while he was ahead rather then hang around the game forever to rack up stats. You know, while I think a lot of several players, there are those who toiled around for years after their prime just racking up numbers.

10. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

That’s certainly not my recollection of Murphy's career.

First of all, he played 18 seasons in the big leagues. Secondly, in his last three seasons his productivity was taking a nose dive. I’d post them but I don’t know how to do it so it aligns right. So here is a link to his stats.

Dale Murphy's Career Stats

Murphy didn’t leave the game ahead he was done. I doubt that any team would have wanted him when he left the game.

11. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    A .265 batting average with 398 HRs just doesn't seem enough for the HoF, at least for an outfielder.

Looking at Gossage's stats, I didn't realize he lasted that long. But it seems that he kind of fizzled out long before he retired.

12. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

I think Dawson belongs...over 400 HR, 2700+ hits, career 279 batting average.

Blyleven (close to 300 wins), Morris and of course Boggs.

That's my list. The rest seem borderline at best and there are a couple of names on that list such as Strawberry and Steinbach who don't come close to HOF calliber.

13. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Bingo, absolutely agree.

I say Boggs is the only certainty this year though.

14. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

"Dominated" is too strong, and what if he'd led baseball in wins for 1983-1994, which is just as arbitrary a period? Would he still be a lock?

Anyway, Boggs, Sandberg, Blyleven, Gossage, and Trammel. And I want to say Rice, but know I can't really justify it.

15. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Yeah, Murphy's stats don't leap out and say 'induct me now!' but anybody who was considered the top player in the game for 5 or so years should be in. There are less-deserving players in the Hall right now then him. And the more I think about it, the more I feel Sandberg belongs. He was arguably the best 2nd baseman of all time. Off the top of my head, only Joe Morgan's career rivals Ryne's. Also, after thinking about it and listening to these persuasive arguments, Morris belongs, too, perhaps more so than even Blyleven.

16. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Boggs will make it—but there may be enough who think that he is not a first ballot selection to keep him out this year.

I think that Jack Morris ought to be in, but his personality might do as much to keep him out as anything else. I’d love to see Alan Trammel get in, but perhaps he might not have quite the career offensive stats to make the cut. As far as his partner, Sweet Lou, I don’t think that he has the career offensive stats to be given serious consideration.

17. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

The mythological significance of being a First ballot inductee is one of my greatest pet peeves when it comes to the Hall.

In my mind a player is either Hall worthy the first year they are eligible or they are not. After all it is not as is the player's stats are magically going to improve over time, they are RETIRED. If they are worthy just vote for them and be done with it.

Another one of my pet peeves is that some writers obviously allow their own individual pettiness to influence their voting. The only thing I can say about that is who in their right mind sat and looked at the ballot and decided that Aaron or Mays (just to name two) didn't belong in the Hall? Those who did leave them off their ballot should have lost the right to vote simply because they demonstrated they are too stupid to be allowed the privilege.

18. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Agreed..it will be interesting to see the Bonds vote when it comes.

As for the current list: Boggs, Sutter, Sandberg

19. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Boggs, Dawson, Sandberg for me.

Mattingly and Morris, maybe.

Concepción for sentimental reasons.

20. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

Boggs for sure.

For whatever reason, I always liked Mattingly. He was pretty popular, but I put him in the "not quite" category for the HOF.

Good thread going on.