What's new

2005- a Disappointing Year For DVD (2 Viewers)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I remember not too long ago that the Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman would be released to DVD either by the fourth quarter of this year or sometime next year.

Also, from what I have also heard was that "I Dream of Jeannie" would also be coming out to DVD, probably to coincide with the release of the Motion PIcture that's being worked on.

The Six Million Dollar Man is coming to DVD but I wouldn't bet on it coming out to DVD until the movie hits theaters.

Steve Meil

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
1.CSI Miami Season 2
2.Forever Knight Season 2
3.Homicide Life on the Street Season 6
4.Millenium Season 2
5.Dark Shadows Collection 15
6.Dark Shadows Collection 16
7.MacGyver Season 1
8.Murder One Season 1
9.Hogans Heroes-Season 1
10.La Femme Nikita Season 2
11.The Lone Gunman Season 1
12.The Prentender Season 1
13.Wonder Woman Season 2
14.Mary Tyler Moore Season 1 Sampler
15.X-files Season 1
16.X-files Season 2
17.X-files Season 3
18.Law & Order Season 3
19.Quantam Leap Season 3
20.Seinfield Season 4
21.Three's Company Season 1
22.Wonder Woman Season 3
23.MacGyver Season 2
24.Moonlighting Seasons1,2
25.Homicde LOTS Season 7
26.Outer Limits-Aliens Among US
27.Outer Limits-Mutation & Transformation
28.Outer Limits-Fantastic Androids & Robots
29.Outer Limits-Death & Beyond
30.The 4400
31.La Femme Nikita Season 3
32.Twilight Zone Seasons 2+3
33.Sliders Season 3
34.Earth 2 Complete Series
35.Remmington Steele Season 1
36.X-Files Season 8
37.X-Files Season 9

And that is just the start for 2005 and does not inclued on order for the rest of the year

1. Lost Season 1.
2.Alias Season 4
3.Millenium Season 3
4. Hogan's Heroes Season 2
5. 24 Season 4

This has been a good year for DVD Releases

JeffT.

Deceased Member
THE TWILIGHT ZONE - THE DEFINITIVE EDITION - FIRST THRU FIFTH SEASON multi disc collections are certainly the best tv series DVD releases of the year. A fine (and lasting) tribute to a great, classic show.

For me one of the biggest tv series DVD releases of 2005 will most certainly be THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN - THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON 5-disc box set due out this October 18th, 2005 and to a lesser degree the KOLCHAK THE NIGHT STALKER - THE SERIES 3-disc box set.

However there is definitely more excitement yet to come (in 2006?) with the impending DVD releases of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) and THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67)...and who can say what else?

So I have no real complaints about the year 2005 myself.

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (Click Here).

Jeff T.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
You could argue that it is disappointing that is 2005 and studios still seem to struggle to get basic features like uncut episodes sorted out.

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
Like others have said I think it comes down to opinion and preferences. For me last year was the best TV-DVD ever because all these shows I wanted were coming out in droves. This year not so much but I wouldn’t call it disappointing because if you look at forums all over the place you have people who are excited because their is finally coming and you feel happy for them. We have had allot of awesome stuff come this year and I know you were looking forward to some of the older stuff and hopefully it will come. This year isn't over yet and hopefully next year will be spectacular.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
It certainly comes down to preference. No doubt about that. If you are a younger person whose favorites are mostly television shows that are less than, let's say, 20 years old then you probably are a happy camper. Certainly it seems to me that even obscure 1 year wonders that have aired within the last several years are out on DVD ("Greg the Bunny", for one example).

The cut off point, in terms of quantity, seems to be the late 60's to the early 70's. Once you move into the black & white era the pickings get much slimmer. And since I'm a fan of so many shows from the 50's & 60's, yes I've been somewhat disappointed. But like others have pointed out, there have been many good releases in 2005, so I can't really complain.

Bert hit on one of my most anticipated genres. That would be the 50's & 60's action/drama series. I am blown away by the fact that Paramount has yet to release their classic of all classics, THE FUGITIVE. I'd have bet a boat load of money on that show being out already. And there are many in that same genre that I'd love to see. ROUTE 66, SEA HUNT, THE UNTOUCHABLES, HAWAIIAN EYE, and 77 SUNSET STRIP just to name a few.

And then there are still many older sitcoms that I'd consider true classics. FATHER KNOWS BEST, THE DONNA REED SHOW, and the PATTY DUKE SHOW are all worthy of dvd releases, IMHO. And I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little suprised 2005 didn't see a mention of these series coming to dvd.

Yes, there were a few releases that I had looked forward to that were postponed/disappeared (PINK PANTHER, MR. MAGOO). But those don't diminish my overall satisfaction with the year thus far.

Gary "cut episodes have been an aggrevation that I wish the studios could clean up though" O.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
it's been hit and miss.

One of my holy grail series finally came out, but then it turned out to be edits - Roseanne. A Different World's another one I'm highly looking forward to but preparing to be edits.

Simon And Simon and One Day At A Time were two shows rumored for 2005 a year ago and still no sign, and I would've loved to get those on DVD as well.

Still holding out hope for The Facts Of Life, which is my Holy Grail for unreleased TV-DVD's, and also want more Diff'rent Strokes. Some Gimme A Break would be nice too

Among the titles I'm grateful to get/will get on DVD this year:
Charmed seasons 1-3
Taxi seasons 2-3
Murder She Wrote season 1 (and maybe season 2 will be out by year end)
Seinfeld season 4 (and 5-6 maybe)
Popular season 2
Golden Girls seasons 2-3
Buffy - deluxe edition box set

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
For me, it's been a good year DVD wise. My two favourite TV shows have been coming out on DVD (The Simpsons and Batman: The Animated Series), and now I'm just waiting for one another favourite (Animaniacs). At the same time, three of my favourite movies got new DVDs (Ed Wood, Get Shorty, and Star Trek: First Contact), and the only must-have I'm waiting for is a new Ferris Bueller's Day Off DVD. I'm still hoping 2006 being the 20th anniversary amounts to something.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Random thoughts:

Another year without any of the Spielberg/WB cartoons on DVD...I know they're rumored, but I want something tangible. The format isn't getting any younger, Warner...Please, Warner, please release the Spielberg/Warner cartoons.

While we're at it, I'm also waiting on "Perfect Strangers", "Max Headroom", "Amazing Stories" and "Out Of This World".

I was disappointed that "Jem! And The Holograms" was never completed...Now I'm gonna have to double-dip.

I should pick up season 2 of "Sledge Hammer!"...Then again, maybe I'll just ask for it for Christmas.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Well, someday it'll happen.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
This is my favorite year so far, counting movies & tv shows on DVD. Some things I thought I'd NEVER see got released! And next year looks to be as strong for me. Then I'm sure it'll be downhill, but who cares? I'll be set with a library I only dreamed about 3 or 4 years ago..

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
Kevin, I agree that it's been a poor year for animation so far, but not necessarily for the reasons you describe. My gripes: Classic Media postponed Mr Magoo and Harveytoons indefinitely; Sony postponed Pink Panther to February 06; Warner backtracked on issuing replacement discs for the cut/unrestored/DVNRd Tom and Jerry Volume One, included a cut episode on Flintsones S3 and used redubbed and edited titles on Penelope Pitstop

On the other hand, Lion's Gate have released decent editions of Chuck Jones's television specials, Disney has released a superb edition of Bambi, and Dastardly and Muttley was that rare thing these days: a near-faultless presentation of an animated series by Warner.

And don't forget, it's early yet: animation DVDs tend to be released near the end of the year, so still to come are Rocky and Bullwinkle S3, Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 3, The Looney Tunes Movie Collection, Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection Volume 2, Huckleberry Hound S1, Yogi Bear, Flintstones S4, Disney Rarities and Chronological Donald, Volume 2.

After Warner's bad year with cartoons, I'll be wary of preordering some of those titles, but if all goes well, I'll be very happy.

And I'd like to take issue with you on a couple of points:

I don't understand. Should they have released Season 2 before Season 1? According to Jerry Beck, Warner and Earl Kress have done a great job on this disc (I'm so glad Mr Kress was involved again). Don't you think it's a little unreasonable to complain that the cartoons you want weren't included for what you admit are logical reasons?

FWIW you can get Spud Dud on
this disc.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit

I've got it, but it'll be most certainly redundant when "Spud Dud" does eventually get released, and it's already redundant with regard to The Flintstones.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit

Agreed. I'm at this stage now, I guess. After last year, which saw the release of something I'd never dreamed possible, Spiderman 1967-70 in full, in addition to a host of other excellent animated and SF material, I guess my collection, already faring extremely well, reached as close to a level of completion as it's likely to. The other stuff on my want list will just take their time to be released, if released at all...

ChrisPearson

Second Unit

I have to agree with you here, Kevin. Although I'm neither in the pre-48 nor post-48 fan camp – the 1948 date was an arbitrary one decided when half the Warner library was initially sold decades ago and I love the WB cartoons en masse – I am as keen to see more 1950s/1960s one-shots (especially Jones), Pepe Le Pew, Foghorn Leghorn, Ralph and Sam, Bugs and Coyote, even Cool Cat and Merlin the Magic Mouse, as I am to see more BW Porkys, Avery, Clampett, Bosko and Buddy. I presume the concentration on Schlesinger-era shorts is due to the shabby way these films have been treated over the years (bad prints, colorisation), and I accept that Warner have a LOT of cartoons to cover with only one 60-short release a year. We just have to be patient, and I'm a lot more worried about censorship issues than balance, to be honest.

Lloyd White

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure what the original poster was talking about, but far as TV releases...I'm basically getting every single TV show that I ever loved released completely on DVD, with only a few stragglers that I may or may not buy on DVD anyways. I couldn't be happier, except that I need more money to pay for all of this.

JeffT.

Deceased Member

I think that Nigel most certainly addresses a pertinent point here in that just what can be expected when a (favourite) tv series is released on DVD...particularly if it's an older one?

I can cite tv series DVD sets that I've purchased that certainly could have been handled much better indeed (ie. ROD SERLING'S NIGHT GALLERY, MY FAVOURITE MARTIAN et al).

This is my primary concern about the impending (?) DVD releases of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) and THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67). As it now stands neither SF tv series is in suitable shape to be issued on DVD.

Will (extensive) restoration work be done on these (vintage) tv properties or not?

And who in their right mind wants (abominable) time compressed source elements used for the master disc pressings?!

Let's not mess things up here 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment by taking the wrong approach as was (generally) done with the LOST IN SPACE (CBS 1965-68) DVD sets!

Jeff T.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
I'm still waiting for the David E. Kelley shows, which are my favorites among recent programs. Also "Strong Medicine" and unedited versions of "Quantum Leap," which was inexcusably butchered. I've given up hope of ever having some of my older favorites released.

ChrisKe

Stunt Coordinator
A mixed year for me.

Great to see the last season of Friends and round this set out nicely. The continuation of MASH Looney Tunes and Disney Treasures are also very welcome. Classics like Lois & Clark were also good to see.

A good find this year was Tru Calling which I brought blind and have enjoyed.

On the minus side - Sony appear to have dropped the idea of further seasons of Mad About You with the collection coming out earlier in the year. Also, the longer we go without season 2 of Everwood, the more I despair that we will see more of this great show on DVD.

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator
I think this has been a great year for tv to dvd releases and the year isn't over yet.;)

There's a bunch of good stuff coming up in the next few weeks and more this fall and winter that I thought I'd never see on dvd.(Emergency,Adam-12,etc.)
Some are continuations of series and some are making premiere appearances on dvd.

Hang in there and I'll bet you'll see something coming up or to be announced yet that you've been anticipating.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks