What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

2003 MLB World Series thread (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I think Jeter is a good to passable SS, but he isn't in the top tier of the game; I look at A-Rod and he's such a better player they aren't in the same league. But A-Rod plays for a crap team, so there you go.

There are some short stops that I watch and say: "this guy has it" Surprisingly, my sad-sack Royals may have one in a rookie this year, Angel Berroa, who shocked me with a solid bat and, after a rough start, great fielding abilities. I won't put him in the category of a Jeter or a Nomar or an A-Rod, but I'll give him a few years.. when the Yankees or someone picks him up ;)

Jeter is one of those players who represents a great team leader and does wonders for the chemistry, and that transcends numbers. And he's a big game player who shows up and plays best in tough games.

But, at best, he is an average fielder and an average hitter with a few flashes of greatness here and there. Good for him, almost all of those come against real rivals or in the playoffs. There are a lot of players who shrink from the spotlight, Jeter tends to perform better in it.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
What I find amusing is that I really only see one person saying Jeter is a better than average fielder who also states that there is more to a good fielder than good stats yet doesn't say what any of those things are! :) What does a good fielder do BESIDES be in the right place at the right time and throw the ball straight to get the MOST outs? And isn't that what these stats tally? Really, I'm curious...

- Dan Hine

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Florida taps out 3 early.. I have a feeling whoever wins this, they will take the series.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Aww, Yanni's rendition of the FOX Sports theme almost made Joe Buck cry...:D

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
An observation .... Do ALL MLB teams, after a win, do that silly Little-League-like high-fiving of every single player out on the field after each victory? I don't recall teams feeling the need to high-5 every teammate out on the field in past WS.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
They do it in the playoff more often than not.

I was close on my prediction of more than 10 runs scored this game as the Yankees plate 2 runs in the 9th inning to make it exactly 10 runs scored in the game.

Florida has to win 1 out of the next 2 and they got Beckett starting Game 7 if need be.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Here's a toast to David Wells, the finely tuned athlete.

Here are some pretty funny gems from the chatter.

Posted 8:46 p.m., October 23, 2003 (#87) - Jack T
Jon Miller said Wells may be hurt and Contreras is warming up.

Posted 8:46 p.m., October 23, 2003 (#88) - David Wells
I pulled some fat.

Posted 8:49 p.m., October 23, 2003 (#97) - David
This follows Torre's gameplan perfectly: Wells starts, gives up no runs, Contreras comes in to bridge the gap to Rivera. So what's the big deal? Oh.

Posted 8:51 p.m., October 23, 2003 (#99) - Snowboy
Giambi is out with a sore knee.
I hear he hurt it trying to lift his wallet.
Then Wells called him "a little girl" and also tried to pick it up. Hurt his back, now he's out of the game too.

Posted 8:52 p.m., October 23, 2003 (#102) - MC Hammer
Stop!....

Weaver Time!

Posted 8:54 p.m., October 23, 2003 (#106) - Doug
MORON...you just f-ed us DAVID

Rubber arm and a rubbery mid section

Posted 8:56 p.m., October 23, 2003 (#109) - David
That Wells interview looks pretty funny now. How about he write a book on how to potentially cost your team the Series becauseyou weigh 500 pounds, causing your back to blow out.

Posted 9:08 p.m., October 23, 2003 (#142) - rLr
No need for a position player. If this game gets out of hand, it's Weaver for 6 innings, come hell or high water (and probably both).

Posted 9:38 p.m., October 23, 2003 (#194) - Zitcam
.....let's magnify those sweatbeads

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
What does a good fielder do BESIDES be in the right place at the right time and throw the ball straight to get the MOST outs? And isn't that what these stats tally? Really, I'm curious...
Not always. The stats wont tell you how good a fielder's range is. A player can have a fantastic fielding percentage because he only handles everything hit right at him, but lacks the quickness and intuition needed to have a shot at the tougher plays. after all, players are not going to cause errors when they don't even touch the ball.

DanFe

Second Unit
It is doing my heart good to see the evil empire losing. Just one more and George will be denied what he feels is his birthright.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Marlins in the driver seat, but if they lose Saturday with Beckett on short rest against a fully rested Pettite then the advantage swings back to the Yankees with Pavano on short rest Sunday against Mussina. Also, Clemens will be a factor in one of those games along with a fully rested Rivera.

By the way, where are those Yankee fans that were talking smack about why play the 4th or 5th game?????????

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Nothing like a trash-talking Mariner fan to put things in perspective especially since the team he roots for couldn't even get into the playoffs after leading their division most of the season.

Crawdaddy

DanFe

Second Unit
Well, I think we all have the right to choose who we are pulling for in this. If it's between the Yankees and anyone else--I choose anyone else. I don't count them out though. I just hope they will be out soon.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Brian:

The fielding stats of zone rating, range factor (not very good, imo), two different stats called 'ultimate zone rating' and defensive win shares, all take into account a lot more than merely fielding percentage.

Zone rating, for instance, keeps track of 64 different 'zones' on the field where the ball is hit, and 3 different degrees of how hard the ball is hit, and weather it's a line driver, ground ball or fly ball.

When they show a high degree of correlation and consistentcy over a long period of time, and the vast majority of time tell us what we already (think) we know, I tend to trust them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks