What's new

2001 Special Edition? (1 Viewer)

Artimus Zeln

Auditioning
I remember reading about a 2001: A Space Odyssey special edition coming sometime this year. Does anyone know if that is true?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I seem to remember some discussion about this at HTF a while back...

Just searched the forum and found two threads concerning this:

THREAD #1
THREAD #2

Remember, the Search function is your friend... :D

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
Apologies for bringing up old threads but it makes more sense than creating a new one.

I happened to record 2001 on the UK TCM channel the other night.
I was just wondering if anyone would know if this TCM cut is in any way different to the currant DVD release?
I have it stored on my recorders hard drive right now and don’t know whether or not to delete it or burn it to disk.
I’ve held off on buying the 2001 DVD so far as Im waiting for a SE, but as a compleatist I enjoy comparing alternate cuts. So should I keep this TCM cut or not?

If it helps the film starts with a blue MGM title card of a static illustration of the MGM lion.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I can't recall where I read it (it was on HTF) but I remember reading that a special edition of 2001 is due next year, 2006.
It may have come from the Warner chat about a week ago.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, in the chat and the SE is in the works for next year, along with some other films by Mr. Kubrick.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The current 16x9 DVD is a great transfer excepting some minor EE and strange chroma-noise on the red lounge chairs in the space station (I have a chroma-bug-free-DVD-player).

Would love the latest and greatest image quality possible along with all the extras! Of course...I may wait and get this one in HD... :D

dave :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Being a completist, I'm not waiting. I'll get this SE, and I'll get an HD DVD version when it's released!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
My LD looks better than the old DVD. The DVD was to dark for me. Cant wait for a nice Warner transfer, and lots of bells and whistles.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
RickER, are you referring to the old MGM DVD or the WB DVD? The MGM disc was crap I agree but the WB disc was, while not without it's problems, far superior.

May I ask what other Kubrick titles are getting the SE treatment?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting news. It brings to mind The Criterion Collection laserdisc edition of 2001. This 1988 CAV laserdisc release is one of the first true Special Editions of any film for the movie buff/collector to own. I am lucky enough to still own a copy.

Given the contents of the LD's "special features" as the box calls it, the kinds of materials available in 1988 and how that material is edited and decided upon for inclusion is a real insight into the thinking that a movie fan would want to see. The 2001 Criterion LD includes a new film to tape transfer supervised by Kubrick himself. There is a small piece with Arthur C. Clarke on the philosophical foundations of 2001 and on space exploration. This and some other short clips on the space suit designs is excerpted from The Making of 2001 documentary. There’s also still images of sketches and production design paintings included, models, the videophone on the space station, and a close up Heywood Floyd’s American Express card that expires Jan 2002, close up of zero gravity toilet text, of which is buried in all this material. Loved all the product placement and corporate name dropping to add realism to the film.

There is a film of computer animation of Jupiter fly-bys. Next is retrospective of the film by the 2001 scientific consultant to the film with documents, memos and photos from the film. And finally, a montage of images from 2001 and NASA space footage narrated by sci-fi author Gregory Benford. Additionally, there is the text from The Sentinel, the short story from which 2001 is based, audio interviews and comments from Arthur C. Clarke that in the supplements only, Douglas Trumbull on the slit scan technique to film the Star Gate sequence, and many other little surprises. This is vintage stuff, quite dated, many which is taken from sources in the 1960’s during the films release.

This shows the difference for the kinds of SE material we’ll likely see on a new SE of 2001. Not that it’s a bad thing, but the new SE is likely to focus on what this generation of DVD buyer has come to expect, more lightweight material that covers the surface of the film’s making. Actor interviews and production people who worked on the film would likely be interviewed. Any more would likely bore the viewer!

The kind of stuff on this 2001 Criterion Edition is not very easy to digest and takes time and effort to read through. But it’s cool to see the depth of the materials. Really aimed at the core Criterion buyer, film buffs and historians who really want to learn how the film was made. 2001, Robinson Crusoe on Mars and The Forbidden Planet Criterion LD's are some of my favorites because it covers so much material on the filming, set and costume design, lost footage, alternative ending and vintage photos from the era on the film set.

But I’ll likely buy this version and the HD version too.

Real Name
Anthony
A lengthy documentary about the making of 2001 was shown on C4 a couple of years ago. Given that it was hosted by James Cameron, I think there's a good chance it might end up on the disc. I'd like to see the full version of the vintage featurette on its making as well.

Kevin M - I don't think anyone knows what the other Kubrick Special Editions will be but I could hazard a guess at the likelihoods.

EYES WIDE SHUT is the most likely, imo, as it has still to be released in its "unconcealed" version in the US, and we've heard rumours that this may be on the way. Given that Kubrick died before the film was finally locked, there's probably more existing materials on this film than any of the others. C4 also made a good documentary called THE LAST MOVIE.

FULL METAL JACKET - Vivian Kubrick filmed quite a bit of on-location footage a la MAKING THE SHINING but the doc was never completed. Snippets of it can be seen in STANLEY KUBRICK : A LIFE IN PICTURES.

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE - Again, there's a decent C4 doc about this called (IIRC) RETURN OF A CLOCKWORK ORANGE, made to tie-in with its re-release in the UK.

THE SHINING - The edition that exists is nearer to a special edition than any of the other WB Kubrick discs but, then again, it's also probably his most generally popular film. Unused footage from MAKING THE SHINING may still exist.

BARRY LYNDON - Unfortunately, unless WB are doing them all as special editions (which they should), this one is less likely. There is no behind the scenes footage to my knowledge and the film itself is not hugely popular with the general public.

LOLITA - Least likely of all, I would say. No behind the scenes footage and few of the key cast members are still alive.

Just speculation on my part, though. All of them could make for very interesting sets, with a little imagination. I'd love to hear cast and crew commentaries on them. I hope WB have a fanatic on the case.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Hey Kevin,I had the old MGM version of 2001. Couldn't even see the monolith when it was in space and the stars were almost non existent. It did have that cool little interview with Clark, and it wasn't in a damn snapper. :)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Mein Gott, I hope not: I found it very dull. Talking, talking heads. Pointless attempts at trying to 'explain' the film.

The Criterion Laserdisc, which I do not own, but have seen, is the type of package that best suits the film. The only essential artifact is didn't contain was the on-set behind-the-scenes film shot in 1967. It's an amazing piece of film, that includes footage of the revolving centrefuge of the Discovery. Great old-school voice-over, too.

2001, despite the outdated title, is still a vision of the Future - the Future Destiny of Man's evolution, a time when Man finally 'overcomes himself' and becomes Human. It deserves serious consideration, not lightweight run-of-the-mill 'bonus' featurettes. The film shouldn't be regarded entirely as a scholarly 'subject', 2001 is a film that is still relevant; it still speaks deeply to people and remains an incredibly impressive film.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
FYI, all: It's "Arthur C. Clarke."

And the Warner person did not say which other films by Mr. Kubrick are being considered for SEs.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Dave B... "Minor EE" on the cuurent disc? I think it's pretty bad. Don't get all forgivy on EE on me now...!

:D d

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I agree with you Dave M. The EE on the current WB release is pretty darned bad and it distracts me every time I watch the film. I'd love to see a beautiful new transfer of 2001 with no EE and no high pass filtering. Just let it all hang out baby! :D

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Don't forget there were actually 2 WB releases... the first one was just a repackaging of the MGM disc (which was, I believe, repackaged a 2nd time for the 1st Kubrick collection). This was non-16x9 enhanced and, IMHO, a pretty bad transfer with heavy EE.

Later they released a new transfer with greatly diminished (but still present) EE that was 16x9 and FAR FAR superior to the first release.

I think some of the folks in this thread might be talking about different WB releases without knowing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks