What's new

2001: A Space Odyssey- new book coming next month on making of the film (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Simone Odino said:
Hi everybody,

if you're interested, I published an interview with the author of Taschen's book, Piers Bizony, in my blog. Here it is: http://www.2001italia.it/2014/06/the-making-of-making-of-piers-bizonys.html.

Cheers!

Simone
Thanks for posting this -- really great read!

One quote from Mr. Bizony made me laugh: "I really think that fans of 2001 will have seen pretty much all there is to see - unless they want to dive into shooting reports, film stock tests, cast list phone numbers, fabric swatch samples . . . at which point, we get from the sensibly celebratory to the insanely obsessive."

I think I might be the kind of insanely obsessive person where this would be interesting to me. But just for this movie :)

Simone Odino

Auditioning
Josh Steinberg said:
Thanks for posting this -- really great read!

One quote from Mr. Bizony made me laugh: "I really think that fans of 2001 will have seen pretty much all there is to see - unless they want to dive into shooting reports, film stock tests, cast list phone numbers, fabric swatch samples . . . at which point, we get from the sensibly celebratory to the insanely obsessive."

I think I might be the kind of insanely obsessive person where this would be interesting to me. But just for this movie :)
Dear Josh, you're a kindred soul.. :) if you have the chance to go to the Kubrick Archive in London, you'll find exactly that! (there's a report about my visit in the blog, BTW)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Simone Odino said:
Dear Josh, you're a kindred soul.. :) if you have the chance to go to the Kubrick Archive in London, you'll find exactly that! (there's a report about my visit in the blog, BTW)
I'll look for that blog post when I have a free moment later, I'd love to read about your experiences visiting the archives.

Is it open to the public? I'd absolutely love to see it. London has been one of those "we're definitely gonna go next year!" trip ideas that never seems to happen, but I'd really love to go, and the Kubrick archive would be near the top of my list of things to see when there.

Simone Odino

Auditioning
Josh Steinberg said:
I'll look for that blog post when I have a free moment later, I'd love to read about your experiences visiting the archives.

Is it open to the public? I'd absolutely love to see it. London has been one of those "we're definitely gonna go next year!" trip ideas that never seems to happen, but I'd really love to go, and the Kubrick archive would be near the top of my list of things to see when there.
Yes - the Archive is open and free! You just have to book a visit in reasonable advance. Check out the online catalogue: http://archives.arts.ac.uk/CalmView/TreeBrowse.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&field=RefNo&key=SK

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys,

I got an email from Taschen today as no doubt some of you have too. They are releasing a much lower cost version of the massive 2001 book set from last year. I still haven't gotten through my copy!

I'm not entirely clear but this new release looks like they are releasing one of the books in that set. I'll have to take more time to study the email.

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/film_music/all/44602/facts.the_making_of_stanley_kubricks_2001_a_space_odyssey.htm?utm_source=tas&utm_medium=nl&utm_campaign=kubrick_2001&link_id=4&mobile=1

Simone Odino

Auditioning
frik said:
I'm glad I got last year's set. the page-count of the new edition is much lower.

Some stuff must have been left out.

sk

They left out the stills volume, the production notes, the dec.1964 treatment, and Mad Magazine. The big volume has the same pages and foldouts, it's just smaller.

Last year's set was the right choice, despite the fact that I'm going to repay the loan I took to buy it in 2020. :wacko:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Nelson Au said:
Guys,

I got an email from Taschen today as no doubt some of you have too. They are releasing a much lower cost version of the massive 2001 book set from last year. I still haven't gotten through my copy!

I'm not entirely clear but this new release looks like they are releasing one of the books in that set. I'll have to take more time to study the email.

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/film_music/all/44602/facts.the_making_of_stanley_kubricks_2001_a_space_odyssey.htm?utm_source=tas&utm_medium=nl&utm_campaign=kubrick_2001&link_id=4&mobile=1

Looks like it's just the main book, and not the supplemental volumes (looks like Simone beat me to the punch on that). For $70 I say it's a steal - I'm glad I have the bigger deluxe one, but if I didn't, I'd definitely be jumping on this.

Simone Odino

Auditioning
Josh Steinberg said:
Looks like it's just the main book, and not the supplemental volumes (looks like Simone beat me to the punch on that). For $70 I say it's a steal - I'm glad I have the bigger deluxe one, but if I didn't, I'd definitely be jumping on this.

The deluxe edition was worthy the full price for this alone: a trip to Kubrickland (actually Childwickbury, near London). Here's me with Katharina Kubrick!

Link to my blog post with a short photo essay and more links here:

http://www.2001italia.it/2014/06/lets-party.html

kkso.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Simone Odino said:
The deluxe edition was worthy the full price for this alone: a trip to Kubrickland (actually Childwickbury, near London). Here's me with Katharina Kubrick!

Link to my blog post with a short photo essay and more links here:

http://www.2001italia.it/2014/06/lets-party.html

attachicon.gif
kkso.jpg

That's very cool! i got the invitation but a last minute fare from NY to London was a bit out of my price range (although probably less than the book itself, now that I think of it). I used to correspond with Kathatina back in the day, after Eyes Wide Shut came out she participated for a while on the Kubrick usenet group and she struck me as kind and generous with her time. That's really nice that you actually got to meet her face to face.

Simone Odino

Auditioning
Josh Steinberg said:
That's very cool! i got the invitation but a last minute fare from NY to London was a bit out of my price range (although probably less than the book itself, now that I think of it). I used to correspond with Kathatina back in the day, after Eyes Wide Shut came out she participated for a while on the Kubrick usenet group and she struck me as kind and generous with her time. That's really nice that you actually got to meet her face to face.

Yep, she really is a sweet person! Now she posts, sometimes, on the new, reformed alt.movies.kubrick group on Facebook.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Simone Odino said:
Yep, she really is a sweet person! Now she posts, sometimes, on the new, reformed alt.movies.kubrick group on Facebook.

I've never been to the new group - I should check that out and see if any of the old posters from back in the day are still around. Thanks for the heads up!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, that was a pretty enthusiastic response to the new book release! Simone, I remember seeing your blog post last year after your visit to the Kubrick party. That's great you got to go and posted about it, thanks!

What an incredible new price for the main book, and a way in if anyone missed out last year. I agree that it was very much worth it for the full book, but this is a great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks