What's new

Pre-Order 2001: A Space Odyssey (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Have people not been complaining about the yellow and teal?
Only on the basis of a YouTube trailer. The new 4K DCP has been screened already and as far as I know, there have been no complaints about the colours. And such changes seem to run contrary to the aesthetic of both the Warner Bros. home video department and Christopher Nolan. We also have yet to hear from anyone who has actually seen the disc. If the original sound mix is in fact missing, that would be regrettable, but also pretty much par for the course for catalogue releases.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
After readying this thread and its posts, I’ll I can say is : “boo Warner Bros.!”

I’ll remove this one from my wish list.

Do things right Warner Bros. . Maybe start with bringing back your home video department so titles like this don’t get cocked up.

There is No reason for this title to be anything but spectacular. Major fail.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Only on the basis of a YouTube trailer. The new 4K DCP has been screened already and as far as I know, there have been no complaints about the colours. And such changes seem to run contrary to the aesthetic of both the Warner Bros. home video department and Christopher Nolan. We also have yet to hear from anyone who has actually seen the disc. If the original sound mix is in fact missing, that would be regrettable, but also pretty much par for the course for catalogue releases.

The “original” sound mix will be missing from the 4k home theater version, as home theaters cannot run 70mm 6-track.

For home theater 5.1 would be correct.

It is, however, not correct for DCPs, which should have a 70mm option.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
On the positive side we are getting 70mm elements for the first time as opposed to the current bluray which is from a 35mm source from what I understand.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston

The book by Arthur C Clarke follows what Kubrick says but adds more detail. The inaccuracy of the room for David is because the transmission from the moon was cut off when the monolith was discovered (the aliens were monitoring). David dies and is reborn as the star child. When the star child arrives at Earth, he moves the clouds a bit and wonders what he will do next.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
While I am happy to get anew 4k disc ,the fact that they did Nothing in terms of new better extras is a downer
the cover art ,shows how lame WB art Dept is

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
A strong teal color filter on the UHD of 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Tell me I'm dreaming, they can't do this to one of the greatest films ever made. Can they?

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Sorry, but I take any news from that site as sketchy.

Again I’m staying cautiously optimistic.

It was someone who was in atrendance at that panel. It could be the monitor they were using but so far all signs point to 2001 color as being altered. Even WB trailer represents that.

My guess is the disc will come out and the reviews will be that yes the color is altered but it isnt as drastic as we thought it would be.

Im guessing a cyan push and slightly yellowed whites.

People will then say its not that bad and most everyone will buy it. making only Nolan happy and most fans of the film miffed it couldnt be better.

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
It was someone who was in atrendance at that panel. It could be the monitor they were using but so far all signs point to 2001 color as being altered. Even WB trailer represents that.

My guess is the disc will come out and the reviews will be that yes the color is altered but it isnt as drastic as we thought it would be.

Im guessing a cyan push and slightly yellowed whites.

People will then say its not that bad and most everyone will buy it. making only Nolan happy and most fans of the film miffed it couldnt be better.

This is literally one of the worst things I've heard in my 40 years of being a home theater geek. The truth in your post is many faceted. The fact that we probably will get people who just say it's fine over and over and this is how it was intended by the artists and on and on.

Like I said, thank God we got Lawrence, Wizard of Oz ,Gone With The Wind, and The Red Shoes before this trend hit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks