2 channel, seperate preamp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ScottLR, Nov 19, 2004.

1. ScottLR

ScottLR Stunt Coordinator

I'd like to have a seperate passive preamp, if possible, for regular 2-channel listening. I'm not sure how I'd go about this and still use the same amp and (front) speakers as home theater.

Can I use the digital out of a DVD player to a DAC to accomplish this? How would I go to the amp?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Do you have external poweramps, or using a AV amp?
    If AV amp- does it have pre-out & loop-back in connections?

Here are some example systems (which is yours/plan to be?)..

1) AV amp- L/R pre-out into a stereo integrated amp (L/R speakers powered by integrated map) with direct gain input
    1.5) Like 1) but without direct gain input- into normal line-level input
    2) AV amp- L/R pre-out into stereo pre-amp, then onto 2 channel poweramp (L/R speakers powered by poweramp)
    3) AV pre-amp- L/R pre-out into L/R poweramp
    4) AV pre-amp- L/R pre-out into stereo integrated amp with direct gain input
    4.5) Like 4) but without direct gain input- into normal line-level input.
    5) Use a amplifier switch to switch between integrated amp/AV amp
    6) Have two sets of front speakers, HT & Hi-Fi speakers.

You need to list the rest of your kit, how it's wired up, if you're willing to buy pre-amp/poweramp/integrated amp etc.

You can take the digital out from the DVD player to a DAC, then onto a stereo pre-amp and poweramp (or a stereo integrated amp) but then problem of two amps/one set of speakers (perhaps use the integrated amp), take pre-outs from av amp to integrated amp. Then you'll have the problem of finding a integrated amp with direct gain (so you don't have to match the amp to the other amps signal)

3. ScottLR

ScottLR Stunt Coordinator

It's the two preamps/one set of speakers things that probably makes it undoable. I'd like to avoid putting 2 channel through and AV preamp at all. Amplifier switch...will it work with preamps? hmmm.....