What's new

2 channel, seperate preamp? (1 Viewer)

ScottLR

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to have a seperate passive preamp, if possible, for regular 2-channel listening. I'm not sure how I'd go about this and still use the same amp and (front) speakers as home theater.

Can I use the digital out of a DVD player to a DAC to accomplish this? How would I go to the amp?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Do you have external poweramps, or using a AV amp?
If AV amp- does it have pre-out & loop-back in connections?

Here are some example systems (which is yours/plan to be?)..

1) AV amp- L/R pre-out into a stereo integrated amp (L/R speakers powered by integrated map) with direct gain input
1.5) Like 1) but without direct gain input- into normal line-level input
2) AV amp- L/R pre-out into stereo pre-amp, then onto 2 channel poweramp (L/R speakers powered by poweramp)
3) AV pre-amp- L/R pre-out into L/R poweramp
4) AV pre-amp- L/R pre-out into stereo integrated amp with direct gain input
4.5) Like 4) but without direct gain input- into normal line-level input.
5) Use a amplifier switch to switch between integrated amp/AV amp
6) Have two sets of front speakers, HT & Hi-Fi speakers.

You need to list the rest of your kit, how it's wired up, if you're willing to buy pre-amp/poweramp/integrated amp etc.

You can take the digital out from the DVD player to a DAC, then onto a stereo pre-amp and poweramp (or a stereo integrated amp) but then problem of two amps/one set of speakers (perhaps use the integrated amp), take pre-outs from av amp to integrated amp. Then you'll have the problem of finding a integrated amp with direct gain (so you don't have to match the amp to the other amps signal)

ScottLR

Stunt Coordinator
It's the two preamps/one set of speakers things that probably makes it undoable. I'd like to avoid putting 2 channel through and AV preamp at all. Amplifier switch...will it work with preamps? hmmm.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks