What's new

2.35:1 Constant Height Set-ups (1 Viewer)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
It does seem to be gaining popularity, even in the press, based on my readings over at AVS. Given that folks rarely spend less than $1000 on a projector, $500 (I paid $400 on sale) for a Panamorph P752 seems pretty affordable, especially for what it does. As I've stated, the combo with the modest (as far as price) 4805 is just too cool, and not something you'll find in a store.
The chief impediment to most is a decent understanding of what Constant Height means in terms of presentation and resolution, it can be baffling at first and seem technically arduous beyond its worth. Some setups are certainly easier than others, projectors (such as the 4805) that do all the scaling remove a major hurdle.

Here's the thread I started a while ago here on my setup:

http://hometheaterforum.com/htforum/...hreadid=239842

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member

The 700, and more specifically the new 900, work in the manner I expect from a home theater projector. I don't the specs for the 700 but I'm assuming they're close. The 900 can be placed as far back as 20 feet projecting on an 87" wide (100" diagonal) 16:9 screen. It also allows for vertical lens shift above the screen as much as .63 (if I recall) screen heights. So for an 87" wide screen, which is 49" high, you can position the center of the lens 30" above the top edge of the screen. Interestingly there's also a fair amount of horizontal shift outside the screen borders, but using one reduces the range of the other.

Now, clearly, you never want to run a projector at extreme settings. Even still you have a lot of wiggle room with numbers like that. This projector will allow me to position it slightly behind the 2nd row of seats, out of the walking path, and still a couple feet shy of its extreme telephoto range. Likewise my screen's top edge is 20" from the ceiling, which is well within the 30" shift range available to allow flush mounting (actually, given the thickness of the mount the lens center will be about 16" from the top of the screen). In practical terms I don't know what type of image tradeoffs are inherent with longer zooms and lens shift but it sure makes sense from an installation perspective.

Mark Techer

Agent
Jack,

Your set up does look great and represents how affordable CIH can be.

Looking at the photo, have you got three identical LCRs as well?

Did you try bending the screen?

Jay,

I have installed few of the AE700Us and they do offer incredible zoom range. I had hoped Pannasonic would keep that feature for the 900 series, and by the look of your post, they did.

I'm not sure about other lenses, but I have had to set my projector zoom up at the minimum zoom, but mine is an exception and does not work with the commercial lenses. If you use the zoom, you will clip off the parts of the image. Therefore I made a rail that can be slid back if needed for when I upgrade to a 720P unit. It would be nice to be able to have the projector behind the back row...

Mark

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member

They have a chart showing minimum and maximum throws based on screen diagonal on their spec sheet. It works out to something like 2.78 x width.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

I didn't try with this screen...I have a 70" wide acrylic mirror-based "Light Fusion" screen (recipe from AVS) that will bend easily and that I plan on experimenting with.

Mark Techer

Agent
"The picture shows a pair of Athena AS-F2 at L/R and an F1 at center. The current front stage is identical, though, consisting of three AS-F1's. The ability to have a real, uncompromized center is a main advantage of front-projection in general."

I agree, there is nothing better than the same type of Centre speaker as the Left and Right speakers. As you said, "uncompromised" and that goes for for both frequency and dynamics, not to mention front stage imaging...

Mark

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Have you guys seen ads for a new screen company called Screen Concepts or somesuch? Their boast is an acoustically transparent screen (and masking) that affects neither sound nor image quality (specifically no moire with fixed pixel projectors) and is endorsed by THX and ISF. Their ad in Widescreen Review shows a trio of HUGE identical speakers across the front. And because the masks are acoustically invisible as well it makes for an ideal constant height solution. Slick.

Mike*D

Auditioning
Where did you guys get your 2.35:1 screens from? Are they more expensive than a comparable 1.78:1 screen? I am looking for a 135" wide screen for a CIH setup.

Mark Techer

Agent
Just an update (if anyones interested). I built my lens from two right angled triangle prisms. Now I have upgraded that 2 prisms lens to s 4 prisms lens and wow, what an improvement...

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks