What's new

2.2 million credit cards hacked! (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hacker accesses 2.2 million credit cards.

So far, it seems none of the accounts were fraudulently used. But man, 2.2 MILLION? Where the hell was network security? Oh wait, I bet they were laid off during the dot-bomb crash. :rolleyes

I hope nobody here got their credit card numbers taken.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I had my card details appropriated by a hacker (along with about 100,000 others) a couple of years ago. On that occasion, it was no big deal - I received a new card with new numbers within a couple of days.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Just wait until it happens to medical records...
People keep getting worried about this but what they don't understand is that for the majority of the population no one cares what medical problem someone else has (unless the person is an insurance agent). I could care less if my neighbor has some problem.

And actually a hospital does not need to get a patients permission to use medical records for research anymore. That was changed a few years ago.

Don Black

Screenwriter
No offense, but I don't think that that is true for a second. Sure, you might not care what your neighbors' health is like. But what about your kids' teachers? Your girlfriend? Your mayor? Let's look at it from another angle. Would your employer be interested in it?

What if you found out your single male neighbor had AIDS? Would his sexual orientation be in question? How does his medical file affect what people think about him?

I think what this hack has revealed is that it will happen. It's inevitable. No network is 100% secure and there are lots of networks. Computerized credit scores and histories have long been used and abused by people. What makes you think that medical records will be immune?

Think globally, not locally... And if you disagree, that's okay too. :)

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
What if you found out your single male neighbor had AIDS? Would his sexual orientation be in question?
Why should it? As long as I don't wake up with a strange bed partner I don't care what he does...well, as long as the people he's sleeping with know. But that has nothing to do with me caring about his sexual orientation.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Dan, good for you, however, you will have to acknowledge that people DO care about that kind of stuff, right or wrong. It's about privacy. For those who might not want others to know their health issues (I am not one of them), it's a big deal.

--
Holadem

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I just went online and my credit card doens't seem to show anything out of the ordinary. Of course anyone who uses my card fraudulently will be sorely disappointed with my $500 credit limit...

KJP

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Huh, the headline now says "5.6 million" - the thread poster has 2.2 mil, a few posts up says 5.5 mil, is this person still at work hacking and they are upping the totals real-time (over 6 billion served!). :)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Geez, they changed the headline! Those bassterds!

Bleah, I'm sure this will occur so often that it'll be ignored like all the other "headlines".

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Dan, good for you, however, you will have to acknowledge that people DO care about that kind of stuff
THOSE are the people we should be worried about.

I've had a few screwy things happen with my credit cards before too. But every time I call my CC company they are always helpful and ALWAYS take care of righting the wrong (if there was truly an erroneous charge...there have been a few times when I've called back and said "oops, I remember now." :b )

It's called being responsible and keeping an eye on your account. It's not hard. I say bring on the hackers and crack down on the people who can't leave well enough alone. Like my ___neighbors that don't like that I'm ___.

Yeah, I know that's not legal but I'm much more afraid of the second group.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks