What's new

1933 State Fair? (1 Viewer)

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
Well, we had new releases of 1945 and 1962 State Fair, and Will Rogers box set, and no sign of 1933 State Fair.

Does this suggest that 1933 State Fair on DVD is just not in the cards? I've never actually seen it, but would buy it, were it available.

DG

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
It has been shown on Fox Movie Channel so it is not a lost film . I guess it is just a matter of time. Would probably be on a second Will Rogers set if one is released.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
The only problem with the charming 1933 version of "State Fair" is that, once you've seen it, you can't bear the patently false and prettified R&H version. Likewise 1946's "Anna and the King of Siam." And I say this as a big R&H fan. I regard "The King and I" as perhaps their masterpiece, but Fox's non-musical version is, in many ways, a better film. And the Will Rogers-Janet Gaynor "State Fair" is miles ahead of either remake.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark

That's so true. 1933's "State Fair" benefits from being made before the Hays Code put so many limitations on "decency." The 1946 KING is a much better film, as the musical has turned the characters into caricatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks