What's new

16mm films that have turned red...suggested filter color for "correction"? (3 Viewers)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Well, after all, 16mm film IS software...

I have acquired some 16mm films via eBay auction, and some of them are red/pink from color fade. (I knew this when I bought them)

Does anyone have suggestions for a filter gel number I can use to give a more "balanced" tone to these films (as used for Par cans)? I know they will never be 'perfect', but they would be at least more presentable...

TedD

Supporting Actor
A CC30C filter will help, but its going to affect the whits a lot more than it's going to correct the reds.

Ted

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator
As Ted mentioned with the Cyan filter recommendation, the film doesn't turn pink/red, rather the Cyan dye fades (actually returns to it's native component which is clear) which leaves the film looking red and lighter. Any filter will change the overall balance of the projection light meaning you lose grey scale and white and the film will still be too light.

The other dyes will also change and I actually have one print that only has the last images of a light yellow on clear film.

Not all film fades as the same rate and there are many many variables (film stock, processing lab, storage conditions and luck).

It seems strange today, but once a collector would pay $50 for a cartoon that was used (and worn) and today you can get an entire Warners restored cartoon collection for less!

Wish there was a simple answer, but you can try the CC30C and maybe add a CC10G or try a Wratten 80B filter.

John

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

This is true, but there is definitely a retro factor to 16mm film collecting, especially if you come away with a great find at a decent price. The "Ooh, Ahh" of projecting film with your friends in the back yard on a summer night is a great thing that you may not get with DVD or other stuff. "Scooterpalooza" (gawd, I miss reading about those) would be a blast with a good print of a classic film(especially if you have anamorphic material and lenses). No fast forwarding or skipping with film!

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I watched an honest-to-God industrial training film in my draughting class last night. 16mm black-and-white off a Bell & Howell self-threading projector. Wonderful. :emoji_thumbsup:

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
might as well ask the second scary film question:

is there the smell of vinagar in the film-can?

It's a bad sign if there is.

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator

Yes there is a certain "fun" to it. But having twin xenon projectors with change-over and also having been a film collector for 40 years, I can tell you in my experience that you "can get over it."

Or maybe I'm just lazy today with a FP and watching DVDs where I can buy 10 DVDs for what I paid for one 16mm feature that was multilated and faded.

John

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Sadly, it's not affordable to get a digital projector with a xenon lamp in it... they make such a nice light..

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston

One could easily do that without contact with Mr. Harris by dyeing 1.85 masking into the film and running a CD of foley effects at full volume in the background! :D

When it comes to films that are easily obtainable, the old phrase "better dead than red" always comes to mind, but in a different context. Rare films are obviously the exception, since you can't see them anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks