What's new

16 year old killed on motorcycle (1 Viewer)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member

That sounds like trouble. The pictures show that in the area of the accident, there are two lanes going each way. Yet he sped between two cars. And the point of impact also appears to be right near the double yellow line. Also if any of the witnesses were in the cars, they would have had some reference to judge his speed.

Nothing has been mentioned that makes this kid sound like a safe driver, in fact everything has gone against that. Whereas there is no hard evidence the u-turn was illegal, and nothing else has been mentioned about the driver of the car being reckless.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member

That sounds like trouble. The pictures show that in the area of the accident, there are two lanes going each way. Yet he sped between two cars. And the point of impact also appears to be right near the double yellow line. Also if any of the witnesses were in the cars, they would have had some reference to judge his speed.

Nothing has been mentioned that makes this kid sound like a safe driver, in fact everything has gone against that. Whereas there is no hard evidence the u-turn was illegal, and nothing else has been mentioned about the driver of the car being reckless.

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
It's not illegal to lane split, so without proper evidence we can't hold that against him for being reckless. Truthfully the chances of that being an area where you can legally make a u-turn for the side of the street are slim. But hopefully in a few weeks we will find out. Say he was going 50 in a 35, do we conclude that because he was going 15 over the lady should not be held accountable for pulling out in front of him?

The double yellow line might not mean much because she could have still been moving foward at impact. The car could have been on the other side of the street or she could have completed her u-turn.

About the tires blowing out, the car likely had touring tires on it. So the nature of the crash even at the speedlimit might cause the beads to give way. I will look for more info about this.

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
It's not illegal to lane split, so without proper evidence we can't hold that against him for being reckless. Truthfully the chances of that being an area where you can legally make a u-turn for the side of the street are slim. But hopefully in a few weeks we will find out. Say he was going 50 in a 35, do we conclude that because he was going 15 over the lady should not be held accountable for pulling out in front of him?

The double yellow line might not mean much because she could have still been moving foward at impact. The car could have been on the other side of the street or she could have completed her u-turn.

About the tires blowing out, the car likely had touring tires on it. So the nature of the crash even at the speedlimit might cause the beads to give way. I will look for more info about this.

david stark

Second Unit
I don't think anyone here can really figure out what really went on since we don't have all the facts. I assume the police can get a pretty good idea of impact speed (from damage) and initial speed of the bike (can't they work out rough speeds from skid marks).

I'm a biker (without a bike at the moment) and I do agree to an extent that bikers tend to stick together and always blame the car driver. I don't necassarily agree with this. I think most motor bike drivers generally obey the rules (the same as car drivers), but unfortunately it is the few bad apples that get noticed and give us all a bad name.

I believe the fazer 600 has pretty much the same engine as the R6, although it has been detuned somewhat to give it a less peaky power delivery with more power throughout the rev range. The new fazer 600 has had loads of updates since I bought mine. I had the previous model.

david stark

Second Unit
I don't think anyone here can really figure out what really went on since we don't have all the facts. I assume the police can get a pretty good idea of impact speed (from damage) and initial speed of the bike (can't they work out rough speeds from skid marks).

I'm a biker (without a bike at the moment) and I do agree to an extent that bikers tend to stick together and always blame the car driver. I don't necassarily agree with this. I think most motor bike drivers generally obey the rules (the same as car drivers), but unfortunately it is the few bad apples that get noticed and give us all a bad name.

I believe the fazer 600 has pretty much the same engine as the R6, although it has been detuned somewhat to give it a less peaky power delivery with more power throughout the rev range. The new fazer 600 has had loads of updates since I bought mine. I had the previous model.

RobR

Second Unit

Also, take a look at the last photo, where "SLOW, SCHOOL" is imprinted on the street. Not a good place to be speeding.

RobR

Second Unit

Also, take a look at the last photo, where "SLOW, SCHOOL" is imprinted on the street. Not a good place to be speeding.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
There's a difference (in sight perception) between a motorcycle doing 50 and 100.

If you are doing 100mph, then there is no such thing as someone "pulling out in front of him". On a motorcycle, that's just a "Death Ride" and you're basically the cause of any accident you get into no matter if the other person is doing something right or wrong.

Not that we're saying he was going near that speed, but as of right now, there is damning evidence that this is a possibility.

The point is, considering the fact that there are SO many dangers out, it boggles my mind why anyone would even consider going over the speed limit on a motorcycle. The kid was caught doing 100mph...100mph.......100mph!.....100 fucking miles per hour on a motorcycle!!!!!

That just SCREAMS stupidity. I'm sorry, but the odds are severely stacked against this kid being at fault.

Again, this is not to bash cyclists, but I commute 100 miles each day to work and I have gotten into a lot of close calls. Fender benders are just a given. They occur EVERY single day (in fact, there are usually half a dozen each day). To see cyclists drive like idiots is SO upsetting to me. A lot of the close calls I see with cars would have killed a person on a motorcycle and I fear the day that I do get into a fender bender with one, is the day I end up killing that person, whereas if the person was in a car, they would be alive.

I really don't really feel like dealing with someones death on my conscious as this woman now has to.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
There's a difference (in sight perception) between a motorcycle doing 50 and 100.

If you are doing 100mph, then there is no such thing as someone "pulling out in front of him". On a motorcycle, that's just a "Death Ride" and you're basically the cause of any accident you get into no matter if the other person is doing something right or wrong.

Not that we're saying he was going near that speed, but as of right now, there is damning evidence that this is a possibility.

The point is, considering the fact that there are SO many dangers out, it boggles my mind why anyone would even consider going over the speed limit on a motorcycle. The kid was caught doing 100mph...100mph.......100mph!.....100 fucking miles per hour on a motorcycle!!!!!

That just SCREAMS stupidity. I'm sorry, but the odds are severely stacked against this kid being at fault.

Again, this is not to bash cyclists, but I commute 100 miles each day to work and I have gotten into a lot of close calls. Fender benders are just a given. They occur EVERY single day (in fact, there are usually half a dozen each day). To see cyclists drive like idiots is SO upsetting to me. A lot of the close calls I see with cars would have killed a person on a motorcycle and I fear the day that I do get into a fender bender with one, is the day I end up killing that person, whereas if the person was in a car, they would be alive.

I really don't really feel like dealing with someones death on my conscious as this woman now has to.

Chris Derby

Second Unit

Speed limits aren't about safety, they're about revenue generation.

For that matter, how many people honk at you from behind when you go the speed limit? Now what if you were on a motorcycle with "no protection"?

My comfort level on a bike is about 5-10 miles an hour faster than traffic so I have one less direction to worry about being hit from. Traffic around Los Angeles often travels in the 80-90mph range. "Cruising" around at 95-100mph isn't that big of a deal. Of course, that's NOT during rush hour.

You'll never understand what it's like to ride unless you ride.

As an aside, motorcycle spedometers generally read 8-12% high. So an indicated 100mph could be as low as 88-92mph.

Chris Derby

Second Unit

Speed limits aren't about safety, they're about revenue generation.

For that matter, how many people honk at you from behind when you go the speed limit? Now what if you were on a motorcycle with "no protection"?

My comfort level on a bike is about 5-10 miles an hour faster than traffic so I have one less direction to worry about being hit from. Traffic around Los Angeles often travels in the 80-90mph range. "Cruising" around at 95-100mph isn't that big of a deal. Of course, that's NOT during rush hour.

You'll never understand what it's like to ride unless you ride.

As an aside, motorcycle spedometers generally read 8-12% high. So an indicated 100mph could be as low as 88-92mph.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
So since most traffic speeds, the thought is to drive even FASTER??? and people wonder why cyclists end up in fatal crashes and why people who drive cars get annoyed when we have to hear stuff like "cars are dangerous to motorcycles"

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
So since most traffic speeds, the thought is to drive even FASTER??? and people wonder why cyclists end up in fatal crashes and why people who drive cars get annoyed when we have to hear stuff like "cars are dangerous to motorcycles"

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
regardless, what happened last week was last week, now did a cop radar him 3 blocks from the scene and say he was doing triple digit speeds? Don't think so.

With a speed limit of 75 on the interstate is 100mph really that fast anymore? How many of you peak at 85 or 90 on your daily commute?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
regardless, what happened last week was last week, now did a cop radar him 3 blocks from the scene and say he was doing triple digit speeds? Don't think so.

With a speed limit of 75 on the interstate is 100mph really that fast anymore? How many of you peak at 85 or 90 on your daily commute?

Kevin T

Screenwriter
irregardless of whether a person is on a motorcycle or in a car, when people do stupid shit, someone will eventually be killed. driving recklessly on a motorcycle will get you killed. driving recklessly in a car will get you killed. the whole motorcycle versus car debate is moot. when someone does something stupid, they are liable to kill themselves and / or somebody else. the news articles do not overtly blame the driver of the car though they do tend to place the blame on the cyclist due to his past history. who knows? maybe she pulled out in front of him. maybe he was riding like a maniac. maybe they both made mistakes and he got the short end of the stick due to being on a bike. it's a horrible tragedy that happened to this young boy and his family. it's also a tragedy to the family of the lady in the car, but at least her family can see her tomorrow. speak to her tomorrow. and visit her in the hospital, not at the cemetery.

kevin t

Kevin T

Screenwriter
irregardless of whether a person is on a motorcycle or in a car, when people do stupid shit, someone will eventually be killed. driving recklessly on a motorcycle will get you killed. driving recklessly in a car will get you killed. the whole motorcycle versus car debate is moot. when someone does something stupid, they are liable to kill themselves and / or somebody else. the news articles do not overtly blame the driver of the car though they do tend to place the blame on the cyclist due to his past history. who knows? maybe she pulled out in front of him. maybe he was riding like a maniac. maybe they both made mistakes and he got the short end of the stick due to being on a bike. it's a horrible tragedy that happened to this young boy and his family. it's also a tragedy to the family of the lady in the car, but at least her family can see her tomorrow. speak to her tomorrow. and visit her in the hospital, not at the cemetery.

kevin t

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

Yes, sometimes. If you're riding in moderate to heavy traffic, you absolutely get yourself ahead of the flow if possible.

It's pretty simple. If traffic is moderate or heavy, you've got impatient drivers. Those impatient drivers are weaving in and out, in and out, all over the freaking place.

If the traffic is moderate, they're weaving at 80-85mph. If it's heavy, at 65-70 or so. Either way, if you're on a bike, the absolute last place you want to be is caught up in the mix with these weaving cars.

You don't want to be caught up with these weavers even if you're in a car, but the danger is exponentially greater if you're on a bike.

It's not safe to slow down. It's not safe to hang in with these people. It's not safe to go even faster either, but it is often the safer alternative. It's the lesser of two evils.

If you ride, the place you want to be is wherever you've got the greatest degree of control, and the greatest ability to react to what is going on around you.

Being on a motorcycle stuck in a cluster of highway traffic surrounded by weaving cars gives you zero control, and practically zero ability to react.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

Yes, sometimes. If you're riding in moderate to heavy traffic, you absolutely get yourself ahead of the flow if possible.

It's pretty simple. If traffic is moderate or heavy, you've got impatient drivers. Those impatient drivers are weaving in and out, in and out, all over the freaking place.

If the traffic is moderate, they're weaving at 80-85mph. If it's heavy, at 65-70 or so. Either way, if you're on a bike, the absolute last place you want to be is caught up in the mix with these weaving cars.

You don't want to be caught up with these weavers even if you're in a car, but the danger is exponentially greater if you're on a bike.

It's not safe to slow down. It's not safe to hang in with these people. It's not safe to go even faster either, but it is often the safer alternative. It's the lesser of two evils.

If you ride, the place you want to be is wherever you've got the greatest degree of control, and the greatest ability to react to what is going on around you.

Being on a motorcycle stuck in a cluster of highway traffic surrounded by weaving cars gives you zero control, and practically zero ability to react.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks