What's new

16 year old killed on motorcycle (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
you know what's hazardous to motorcyclists?
Fucking cars, period. It used to amaze me how many times cars would look right at you and proceed to try and kill you, or be completely oblivious to my aprilia with race pipe blaring right next to them. And trust me, that bitch was loud.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
you know what's hazardous to motorcyclists?
Fucking cars, period. It used to amaze me how many times cars would look right at you and proceed to try and kill you, or be completely oblivious to my aprilia with race pipe blaring right next to them. And trust me, that bitch was loud.

david stark

Second Unit
Very sad. Ultimately I think 16 is too young to have a large capacity motorbike. I remember I was always pestering my parents to let me have a bike and they wouldn't let me and it wan't until I was 21 and had left home and had my own finances that I could buy one. I still remember my first ride on my first big bike (which was a Honda CBR400RR) and the difference between that and anything else I'd ever ridden/driven was amazing. It was the first vehicle I ever had to hold back on whilst accelerating.

What sort of age can you get a bike license over there? In UK (where I lived and had a bike) as I remeber it was at 21 that you could get a big bike (>125 or 250 cc I think), there were ways under 21, but you had to have held the limited bike licence for 1 or 2 years.

Doesn't sound crazy at all. When I've been out on my bike (both with and without a motor) it's amazing the amount of times people cut you up, don't notice you.

david stark

Second Unit
Very sad. Ultimately I think 16 is too young to have a large capacity motorbike. I remember I was always pestering my parents to let me have a bike and they wouldn't let me and it wan't until I was 21 and had left home and had my own finances that I could buy one. I still remember my first ride on my first big bike (which was a Honda CBR400RR) and the difference between that and anything else I'd ever ridden/driven was amazing. It was the first vehicle I ever had to hold back on whilst accelerating.

What sort of age can you get a bike license over there? In UK (where I lived and had a bike) as I remeber it was at 21 that you could get a big bike (>125 or 250 cc I think), there were ways under 21, but you had to have held the limited bike licence for 1 or 2 years.

Doesn't sound crazy at all. When I've been out on my bike (both with and without a motor) it's amazing the amount of times people cut you up, don't notice you.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
unfortunately david you can get your license at 16, and there is no graduated scale like other parts of the world.
Any 16 y/o could go buy a 1000 or 1300cc bike tomorrow.

On top of that, we don't get the "good" starter bikes that are sold in the UK, the 400rr isn't sold. In fact honda doesn't sell anything less than the 600cc CBR here.
kawasaki sells the ninja 250 and 500, suzuki sells the gs500, those are really the only options.
yamaha sells the 600r and the R6, those are their smallest bikes in this market.
I don't thinkt he FZR400 was sold here, but there's a few on the used market. it's definitely not a beginner bike.

Also, 2 stroke bikes are not sold here unless smaller than 50cc
so the aprilia rs125 chesterfield and rs250, as well as the honda 2 strokes aren't sold here for road use.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
unfortunately david you can get your license at 16, and there is no graduated scale like other parts of the world.
Any 16 y/o could go buy a 1000 or 1300cc bike tomorrow.

On top of that, we don't get the "good" starter bikes that are sold in the UK, the 400rr isn't sold. In fact honda doesn't sell anything less than the 600cc CBR here.
kawasaki sells the ninja 250 and 500, suzuki sells the gs500, those are really the only options.
yamaha sells the 600r and the R6, those are their smallest bikes in this market.
I don't thinkt he FZR400 was sold here, but there's a few on the used market. it's definitely not a beginner bike.

Also, 2 stroke bikes are not sold here unless smaller than 50cc
so the aprilia rs125 chesterfield and rs250, as well as the honda 2 strokes aren't sold here for road use.

david stark

Second Unit

Well it's the same officially in the UK as well. The thing is though that insurance for young people is so expensive on sports bike of 600cc and up so there is a huge market for new and used imports from Japan of 400cc sports bike such as the Honda CBR400RR, VFR400, Kawasaki ZXR400, I think there is a Yamaha (FZR400 I think).

Much as I hated the graduated licensing in UK (and it seems to be the same here in Canda - they are forcing me to take my test again) when I was young, I think it is very sensible. I had some moments on my little Honda CG125 (max speed 60mph if going down hill with a tail wind) which could (would) have been a whole lot worse on a bigger bike.

My last bike (in Belgium before moving to Canada) was a Yamaha Fazer 600 (approx 90 to 100 bhp at the back wheel) and that had plenty of power for me. To get on something akin to that at 16 with little experience of riding on the road is stupid. That may seem obvious to me now, but I wanted that sort of thing when I was 16/17 and my parents said no. I think this is a very sensible case where the state or the country has to raise the legal age to 18 or 21ish for machines like that and to have a minimum experience level as well.

david stark

Second Unit

Well it's the same officially in the UK as well. The thing is though that insurance for young people is so expensive on sports bike of 600cc and up so there is a huge market for new and used imports from Japan of 400cc sports bike such as the Honda CBR400RR, VFR400, Kawasaki ZXR400, I think there is a Yamaha (FZR400 I think).

Much as I hated the graduated licensing in UK (and it seems to be the same here in Canda - they are forcing me to take my test again) when I was young, I think it is very sensible. I had some moments on my little Honda CG125 (max speed 60mph if going down hill with a tail wind) which could (would) have been a whole lot worse on a bigger bike.

My last bike (in Belgium before moving to Canada) was a Yamaha Fazer 600 (approx 90 to 100 bhp at the back wheel) and that had plenty of power for me. To get on something akin to that at 16 with little experience of riding on the road is stupid. That may seem obvious to me now, but I wanted that sort of thing when I was 16/17 and my parents said no. I think this is a very sensible case where the state or the country has to raise the legal age to 18 or 21ish for machines like that and to have a minimum experience level as well.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I think the fazer 600 is a naked R6? another one not sold in the us, though they sell the FZ1 which is the naked R1 (more or less)
I support graduated licensing, if it was implemented in the US I would hope that MC insurance rated would decrease sharply.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I think the fazer 600 is a naked R6? another one not sold in the us, though they sell the FZ1 which is the naked R1 (more or less)
I support graduated licensing, if it was implemented in the US I would hope that MC insurance rated would decrease sharply.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Having actually WATCHED a friend of mine die in a somewhat similar accident, and looking at the damage in those photos, I can say with reasonable certainty that the young lad was going nowhere near the speed limit.

I REALLY, REALLY wanted to blame the guy in the car that pulled over into my friend's lane, but alas, I could not, for my friend was doing 90 in a 35.

Todd

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Having actually WATCHED a friend of mine die in a somewhat similar accident, and looking at the damage in those photos, I can say with reasonable certainty that the young lad was going nowhere near the speed limit.

I REALLY, REALLY wanted to blame the guy in the car that pulled over into my friend's lane, but alas, I could not, for my friend was doing 90 in a 35.

Todd

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
As much as you'd like to blame the people in the cars Philip, I think it's hard to deny who's at fault in this accident. The kid had the bike for a fairly short time, and he'd already been caught doing 100mph on it. And that is a hell of a lot of damage, regardless of where he hit it. The likelihood of the kid not being at fault is rather slim in my opinion. Also, that cop who pulled him over before should be fired. No one should ever get away with doing 100mph. Never. Especially some 16 year old kid who can't possibly handle that speed safely. I think when someone that young does something that stupid they have should their license pulled for a year or two.

I also feel sorry for the driver of the car. She was hurt in the accident, plus she's going to have to live the rest of her life wondering if there was anything she could have done to prevent that collision from happening. No one seems concerned about her, but she's hurting too.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
As much as you'd like to blame the people in the cars Philip, I think it's hard to deny who's at fault in this accident. The kid had the bike for a fairly short time, and he'd already been caught doing 100mph on it. And that is a hell of a lot of damage, regardless of where he hit it. The likelihood of the kid not being at fault is rather slim in my opinion. Also, that cop who pulled him over before should be fired. No one should ever get away with doing 100mph. Never. Especially some 16 year old kid who can't possibly handle that speed safely. I think when someone that young does something that stupid they have should their license pulled for a year or two.

I also feel sorry for the driver of the car. She was hurt in the accident, plus she's going to have to live the rest of her life wondering if there was anything she could have done to prevent that collision from happening. No one seems concerned about her, but she's hurting too.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
if he had been doing say, 60 or 70 that bike would have penetrated the car, not bounced off.
There was a video of a guy rear ending a parked car at maybe 50, the bike PICKED the back end of the car up off the ground about a foot. You WAY under estimate the forces involved in a low speed collision.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
if he had been doing say, 60 or 70 that bike would have penetrated the car, not bounced off.
There was a video of a guy rear ending a parked car at maybe 50, the bike PICKED the back end of the car up off the ground about a foot. You WAY under estimate the forces involved in a low speed collision.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

I think Philip was just making a statement about riding in general. I've been riding since I was 15, and the roads out there in populated areas just aren't very fit for riding anymore.

This kid...it's just a shame nobody was looking out for him. His parents not only let him, but helped him buy a bike he wasn't ready for. The cop let him skate when he shouldn't have. He was just a kid, and the adult world failed him miserably.

Too many friends in his life, not enough parents.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

I think Philip was just making a statement about riding in general. I've been riding since I was 15, and the roads out there in populated areas just aren't very fit for riding anymore.

This kid...it's just a shame nobody was looking out for him. His parents not only let him, but helped him buy a bike he wasn't ready for. The cop let him skate when he shouldn't have. He was just a kid, and the adult world failed him miserably.

Too many friends in his life, not enough parents.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member

Gee, I don't see any indication that the bike bounced off that car, do you? Looks like it stuck to it pretty good. I don't think the firemen strapped it to the car just for kicks.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member

Gee, I don't see any indication that the bike bounced off that car, do you? Looks like it stuck to it pretty good. I don't think the firemen strapped it to the car just for kicks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks