What's new

12 CD Grateful Dead Box: Oct 16th !!! (1 Viewer)

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Just found out about this one. Rhino is releasing a 12 CD Dead boxed set on October 16th (my birthday!). It's titled The Golden Road (1965-1973). You can see more details here:http://www.rhino.com/hotpress/gratefuldeadebaypr.html
Anyone heard anything more about this? Like what will be included? And while we're at it, anyone get View from the Vault II on DVD yet?

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
More information:
"The 12-CD box THE GOLDEN ROAD contains all of the Grateful Dead's Warner Brothers releases including THE GRATEFUL DEAD, ANTHEM OF THE SUN, AOXOMOXOA, WORKINGMAN'S DEAD, AMERICAN BEAUTY, LIVE DEAD, EUROPE '72 and HISTORY OF THE GRATEFUL DEAD VOL. 1 as well as live and previously unreleased material. There will also be a 2-CD set titled THE BIRTH OF THE DEAD that pre-dates the band's tenure with Warner Brothers.
Recorded between 1965 & 1973.
All tracks have been digitally remastered."
"Massive 12-CD box containing all of the albums the band recorded for Warner Bros. Each will be expanded with additional bonus tracks, except for 1969's "Live Dead", which the band considered perfect as-is."

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait. Several years ago I had a party and somebody walked off with all my Grateful Dead CDs. I have been waiting for Warner to remaster them. I know what I am going to do with my tax refund now!
Anthem and Live Dead are the best!
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Heinz W

Second Unit
Any word on individual releases also, possibly at a later date? Though I am not a DeadHead I do like a lot of their stuff. I like American Beauty and Europe '72 the best out of the listed titles and would love to have them remastered.
I was alway a bit more partial to the Wake of the Flood, Mars Hotel, Blues For Allah, Terrapin Station era, but that's just me. I don't suppose there was any word on future remasters, eh? No matter, they'll undoubtedly be out sooner or later.
[Edited last by Heinz W on July 24, 2001 at 08:36 PM]

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Heinz, I think these are all coming out because they are Warner Bros. titles. All (?) titles after that were released by Grateful Dead Records through Arista. The '70s crop that you listed are Arista titles.
Maybe Rhino approached WB or vice versa about re-releasing these and then allowed the Dead to get involved (?).

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Rhino has been handling most of Warners reissues lately.
The first three titles Heinz mentioned are on Grateful Dead Records, Terrapin Station is on Arista.
I think the individual WB titles are supposed to come out summer of 2002. I can't wait that long. I need my Anthem of the Sun now!
If you are into DVD-A, Bob Weir is redoing the catalog, one at a time, in surround. American Beauty is the first one coming out.
------------------
[Edited last by LarryDavenport on September 05, 2001 at 03:26 PM]

Nicholas Dowdy

Auditioning
Exellent. A bit late coming on though, don't you think?
Warner can skip on doing any remastered Black Sabbath CD's, They couldn't TOUCH the work done on the latest remasters from 2000/2001 by Castle. It was as though they were playing an LP right in the studio while remastering it. EXELLENT WORK!
Warners probably isn't in a rush to do any DVD-A albums for Sabbath. They're probably still blown away by Castles work to even to touch Sabbath. I myself don't trust them. They might lose the THICKNESS that these masters have. And plus, They're in miniature LP sleeves. Yup, Complete reproduction of the LP cases but in mini form.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
From http://www.rhino.com/hotpress/74401pr.html ---
GREATEST TRIP OF ALL DUE OCTOBER 16!
With Seven Hours of Previously Unreleased Material, Grateful Dead: The Golden Road (1965-1973) Showcases Studio Expertise of an American Original
Their live concerts broke all the rules -- band-sanctioned bootlegging, extended jams shunning conventional boundaries of time, converting venues to mini-communities long before festivals were status quo. With the October 16 release of GRATEFUL DEAD: THE GOLDEN ROAD (1965-1973), the Grateful Dead transcend their legend as one of the world's greatest live bands to reveal an extraordinary caliber of musicianship in the recording studio -- melding, absorbing, and recreating blues, jazz, folk, and rock into a musical journey unrivaled to this day.
Warner Bros., Rhino, and Grateful Dead Productions bring you a 15 1/2 hour musical journey from an American original, in a 12-CD box set that includes all nine essential Grateful Dead albums and seven hours of previously unreleased material from the infamous Grateful Dead vaults in Northern California. Each digitally remastered disc clocks in at nearly 79 1/2 minutes of music, with bonus tracks and rarities on every single one of the 12 CDs.
Co-producer James Austin, Rhino's Senior Director of A&R, boasts that THE GOLDEN ROAD contains rarities sure to amaze even the most ardent Dead Head: "The Dead have been lionized for their incredible live performances and vilified for their studio work," Austin states in the liner notes. "After sifting through hundreds of hours of released and rare recordings, I can say with confidence that in front of a crowd no one could touch them. But in the studio these guys were also gifted and more competent than anyone really knew.
"Recently, we discovered material edited from the songs included in their debut album. 'Good Morning Little School Girl,' for example, gets lopped off at 5:56. Included here for the first time is the extra 0:59 seconds of intense studio jamming. This is just one example of the extra highlights that coproducer David Lemieux and I have discovered."
Consider it a little piece of our stash, from us to you -- a magnificent collection in a spectacular custom box -- for following the Dead these past 35 extraordinary years.
With such historic and vital Warner Bros. releases as The Grateful Dead (debut album), Anthem Of The Sun, American Beauty, Workingman's Dead, History Of The Grateful Dead, Volume One (Bear's Choice), Grateful Dead (Skull & Roses), Live/Dead, and Aoxomoxoa, the collection also includes the landmark Europe '72. Last but not least, GOLDEN ROAD features pre-Dead nuggets for a new double-disc collection, Birth Of The Dead, which overflows with vault rarities from the years when the Dead were known as The Warlocks as well as The Emergency Crew.
Witness the band's 1966 evolution from the radio-friendly lengths of "Can't Come Down" and Gordon Lightfoot's "Early Morning Rain" to the already potent live act responsible for the epic majesty of "Viola Lee Blues" to an extended version of "I'm A King Bee." Also, all the legendary gems and concert staples are now within fingertip's reach: "Casey Jones," "Uncle John's Band," "Dark Star," "Turn On Your Love Light," "Ripple," "Truckin," "St. Stephen," "Tennessee Jed," and more. Plus, get an earful of such previously unissued gems as an alternate mix of "New Speedway Boogie" and excerpts from the band's get-down brainstorms, crafting such timeless cuts as "The Eleven Jam," "Nobody's Spoonful Jam," and "Clementine Jam," plus live versions of "Cosmic Charlie," "Alligator," and "Feedback."
Each individual release includes fully restored artwork and its own 16-page booklet, all with intriguing, brand-new essays by such noted Deadologists as David Gans, Blair Jackson, Gary Lambert, Lenny Kaye, Dennis McNally, Hale Milgrim, Paul Nichols, Steve Silberman, and Owsley "Bear" Stanley. Longtime band publicist McNally also offers a hint of what to expect from his forthcoming Dead biography in the boxed set's separate 80-page book chronicling the band's history, complete with rare photos, reproductions of memorabilia, promotional campaigns, and a painstakingly detailed group discography.
Perhaps the most popular cult band in music history, The Grateful Dead's journey ignited during the psychedelic '60s, becoming a passageway to peace, love, and experimentation for devotees-as much a part of the experience as the band itself-and together they orbited outside the mainstream, creating a social and cultural phenomenon all their own.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Here's a track list for the CD. But that's not all!
According to the Grateful Dead Link Removed on their official web page , besides the bonus tracks, some discs have unlisted "hidden" tracks, including Live Dead, which wasn't supposed to have bonus tracks. I've cut and pasted info from the Dead's Forum
Hidden tracks:
Anthem of the Sun - the single version of 'Born Cross-Eyed,' which runs a minute longer than the album version.
Live Dead - two hidden tracks: the single version of 'Dark Star,' which runs 2:42, as opposed to the album's 23-minute version; and a one-minute radio spot.
American Beauty - a 30-second KPPC-FM radio spot
Grateful Dead (Skull and Roses) - one-minute radio spot
Europe 72 - 'The Yellow Dog Story,' a joke that Bob Weir used to tell on stage when they needed to fill time.
------------------

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I just noticed that the box set will be in HDCD.
Yeah!
------------------

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
B00005OWEZ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Maybe I'm talking to myself here, but that's okay...
A stunning box set. I'm about half way through it so far and I'm loving it. The bonus tracks are great cuts. A 23-minute version of Viola Lee Blues. A fiesty, scorching live version of Easy Wind. Radio commercials at the end of many of the CDs.
Anthem of the Sun no longer sounds muddy and stuffy to me. The sound has been opened up.
It's a big set, but well worth it. 10 of the 12 CDs clock in at over 79 minutes each (!). There's well over 15 hours of music here. The liner notes are interesting and the booklet is decent.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Payday is next Thursday. I plan on getting the Dead box, the Deluxe Exodus by Bob Marley, and the Velvet Underground "bootleg".

Anthony Stephan

Stunt Coordinator
Arista has been releasing all of the Dick's Picks line as well as other live recordings. The newest release is something like Diamonds in the Night.

David Albrecht

Stunt Coordinator
The new Arista vault release is Nightfall of Diamonds,
10-16-89 Brendan Bryne Arena, New Jersey
The new Grateful Dead Productions release is Dicks Pick 23,
9-17-72 Baltimore Civic Center, Baltimore
Arista distributes the multitrack releases, while Grateful Dead Productions produces and distributes the Dicks Picks series, cued from the original 2-track source tapes.
[Edited last by David Albrecht on October 19, 2001 at 11:29 PM]

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
First off, I don't own any Dead albums other than the Best OF from 74'. I'm pretty much familiar with most of their music and have casually enjoyed it for years.
OK, so I went to BB today and picked up the DVD-A of American Beauty. The 5.1 audio section had grown in size by about 50% since last week and I browsed the titles in amazement. Titles that I saw earlier this year but I haven't seen since, were there. I've only had the RP-91 for a couple of months so I broke into a cold sweat when I saw all this inventory. Oddly enough, I couldn't find what I went there for. So I perused the shelves and after about ten minutes I located one copy of American Beauty and tucked it away.
Let me start backwards first. The interviews start with Mickey Hart and he basically said they tried to present the music as if the listener was sitting in the band. Before all the amps went out front they used to have the rhythm guitar amps behind the drummer and that's what they tried to do with this re-master.
The music is presented two ways, stereo and multi-channel. In other words, you get to listen whichever way you want. Start with the re-mastered stereo version and then switch to the 5.1 version. Absolutely delightful way to do it.
The stereo versions sound great. The muddling or lack of sharpness of vocals and instruments was gone. Quite clear and enjoyable. Switch to 5.1 and the separation of everything is immediately apparent. Everything is much warmer, you can hear the rhythm guitar and backup vocals as they are crystal clear behind you. Close your eyes and pick out guitar licks, drums, bass from all different places. The low end is full and smooth. Nothing is overpowering, it all just comes alive. I love it.
One more thing that I think all music (w/video) discs should provide. The lyrics. It's great to sing along with songs you've known for 30 years and learn all the words. Ripple almost becomes a karaoke song - they should've thrown in a bouncing ball on the lyrics.
Am I going back for Workingman's Dead on 11/20? I'll be there when they open the doors.
You think DVD-A is too expensive? check this out: http://www.thewiz.com/wiz/app/CeProd...=CeMain%3Fnull

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
So far I've only listened to the DD tracks. Hopefully I'll get an update to my Malata soon that may add DVD-Audio, if not I'll be buying a player just for this. The DD is entertaining. It gives a lot of ambience although I don't find that it has lots of separation. There's some, but I hear certain instruments and vocals coming from a lot of the speakers. I'm really looking forward to getting to hear the DVD-Audio version.
I didn't know it had stereo and 5.1, that's great. I'll have to look more closely at the book.
By the way, Robert Hunter has a book of all his lyrics. Its a must have if you're for fans of his songs.
Oh, when I first started Ripple (my all time favorite song) I had my Yamaha set to DD Enhanced. That was a mistake. Certain things don't belong in that mode. There were all sorts of weird echos and such. With the DD it works best without any DSP programs running whatsoever.

Geno

Supporting Actor
Happy Blated Bday Greg, It was my Birthday too. Did you know that Bob Wier's birthday is Oct 16th too?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, not to get off-topic, but what is the Panasonic DVD-RA60? I've never heard of this model. There was supposed to be a Panasonic DVD-RP61, but Panasonic supposedly cancelled production of it. Hmmm....
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Keith,
I friend I work with brought it to my attention yesterday as he was thinking about the RP-91. He is going to pursue it at the wiz, so if he gets one I'll pass whatever info on. What is odd, is that it can't be found on the panasonic site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks