12 Angry Men buy now or should I wait and hope for an SE?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by rob kilbride, Jul 22, 2005.

1. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride
    I'm getting a Sidney Lumet collection going. I have DVD's of Verdict and Serpico which have pretty good special features as well as a bare-bones Dog Day Afternoon which I would upgrade for a nice SE. I'm guessing Warners will eventually do a nice 2-disc SE of Network since it is such an important title. How about 12 Angry Men? I've read the transfer is good but if it is likely to get an SE I would hold off. Is there any word as to whether an SE may be coming in the future. If not what do you guys think is the likelihood of it ever happening?

2. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    No word on a SE as far as I know. Work on SEs for Network and Dog Day Afternoon is already being done, though, and we can expect them in the not too distant future.

Chris

3. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    It's a guess, of course, and, as Christian says, no word of an SE, but if you like the movie why not "risk" the less than $10 and buy the current version?

I would (already have it, payed more).

Cees

4. rob kilbride

Rob Kilbride
    Since no SE is in the works what do you guys think is the likelihood of this title being revisited in the future considering that this is a 2001 title and that in 2002 Verdict and Serpico had DVD's with good special features, with Murder on the Orient Express last year with good features and Network and DDA SE's on the way? I have a $10 coupon from FYE that I may use on Aug. 7 and get it for $4.99 if it seems unlike an SE will be made.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Rob,
    Who knows what the future holds when it comes to the video marketplace, but if you can pick up this title for only five bucks then go ahead and do so.

Crawdaddy

6. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one, but commentary-wise in addition to Lumet, Jack Klugman is still alive and I believe that a kinescope of the original "Studio One" (with Robert Cummings, Franchot Tone, and Edward Arnold) still survives. The cable-tv remake--with Jack Lemmon, William L. Peterson, Ossie Davis, James Gandolfini, Hume Cronyn, George C. Scott--is certainly dvd-worthy as a fascinating update, but what Sony is prepared to do with their recent acquisition from MGM/UA is anybody's guess.

7. rob kilbride

Rob Kilbride
    I saw it at Circuit City for $9.99 so I picked it up. I would only have saved $5 using the $10 coupon at FYE so I'll use it for something else not so overpriced. Thanks for the input guys. I can't wait for the DDA and Network SE's.

8. Ed Moroughan

Ed Moroughan Second Unit

Edward R. Moroughan
  9. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I'll be getting the new re-release with the extras, since the older one is bare bones.

10. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Please let this be anamorphic, although after that insulting "New York, New York" SE I'm not holding my breath.

11. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

12. Eric Vedowski

Eric Vedowski Second Unit

Eric
    I'll wait for a review to find out if it's anamorphic. BTW lasersedge lists the new "New York, New York" as being anamorphic too. I don't trust these reissues or press releases. It's really a shame the original TV version isn't being included. The discovery of a complete kinescope got a bit of press when it was found but if you don't live in NY or LA and want to see it you're out of luck.

13. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I really believe this is one of 4 films that made Henry Fonda a true superstars.

The others are Grapes of Wrath, Once Upon a Time in the West and On Golden Pond.

Awesome news indeed

14. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

This is one of my all-time favorites, but I must say that this press release is pretty under-whelming. A film of this magnitude certainly deserves a commentary track. How many films celebrate a 50th anniversary and the director is still with us? I hope that Sidney Lumet is featured significantly in the documentary. At this point, I think that I will wait for reviews on the picture and quality of the documentary before committing to a double-dip. If the documentary is substantial, then I'll most likely go for it.

15. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

It should be anamorphic, which would make it a worthy double-dip. [​IMG]

16. seanOhara

seanOhara Supporting Actor

At least it's going to have a great cover.