What's new

10x12' room no windows $5,000 budget (1 Viewer)

LeonDES

Grip
Hi All,

I am new to the scene and looking for tips and information
on building my first home theater.

My plans are to setup in a room in my house that has no windows. The room is approximately 10feet wide x 12feet long. I am a bit confused on the best viewing distance or "throw range" for a projector in a room of this size.
It will only be one row of seats and they will be against the back wall.

I am working with a $5,000 usd budget. Can you guys give me some opinions on your screen/projector 16:9 picks for this cost. Do not worry about sound as I already have speakers here.

Thanks in advance,

Leon

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Go to www.projectorcentral.com to check on projectors.

I'd probably get a Dalite and a NEC, Infocus or some other popular projector.
You could always get your own screen made using sheetrock or some other material.

LeonDES

Grip
Thanks for the info Glen. I will check out that website and see what they got for my budget any idea on screen size with that size of room and only 1 row of seats against the back wall.

Leon

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Something like the Panasonic 700 (1280x720 pixels) with a 92" 16x9 screen, purchased or made, would do the trick for that size of room. Then again, I view from about 12' in my room which is 15' long with a 96" screen. I see no screendoor from 8' with the screen I have.

LeonDES

Grip
I checked out that panasonic on projectorcentral
and found the throw distance at 11feet to have a diagonal screen size of 55". This seems a bit small to me as I am wanting somthing more like 83"+ diagonal screen size if not a little more.

Did I calculate that correctly ?

Forgive me if I am wrong with my calculations as I am learning here.

Thanks,

Leon

Michael Whitney

Stunt Coordinator
I saw that also, but I fiddled with the calculator and was able to get a larger screen. Is this bacuase of the 2.0X zoom possibly? Maybe you can lower that and get the larger screen. Any comments from owners?

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Yeah I checked it out for you, 55" is the Minimum screen size that you can get with a Throw of 11'. But that's what the zoom is for, if you zoom in you can push that image up to a Maximum of 109" with no loss in quality (it's an optical zoom)

I don't have that particular projector, but I've got a Sanyo Z2 and the zoom function is similar for most projectors.

Chris

LeonDES

Grip
I did not notice the zoom capability. Thanks for pointing that out. I will look for that feature in other projectors also and see what I can come up with. Are there any owners of the Panasonic out there with comments on its zoom?

Thanks,

Leon

Jim Gloeb

Auditioning
Leon, I have a Panny L500, basically the same machine. We have a 100" screen with about 134" throw. Also we sit around 11 1/2 to 12 feet back depending how you slouch on the couch. We have a similar setup to Neils, as far as an open room. We watch Cox HD and use it for daily TV watching. I am glad to see your thread since we are moving at the end of the month and I will need to change our setup. We will be changing to a dedicated room as well but was concerned about the smallish size.

LeonDES

Grip
Thanks guys for all the input. I have narrowed my search down to 2 projectors right now. This might change lol anyhow I am looking at the Panasonic AE700U and the BenQ7700
both of these projectors have a 106inch diag screen at a 11foot throw and the option with their zoom capabilities It can drop down to a 92inch diag (dont want to go any smaller then that. My concern now is the recommended seating distance for these projectors ...

at 106" the calculator says 11-17' away.
at 92" 9-15' away

I folded up a black sheet and stuck it to the wall at both sizes to see how it looks and I really do like the 106" but
with my room being 12 feet in length the 106" recommended seating would only give me 1 foot of seating ...

Anyone have any experience with either of these projectors and screendoor affect or pixelation when using a 106" diag screen and say around 9-11feet seat distance?

Thanks in Advance,

Leon

LeonDES

Grip
Thanks all for tips and advice. I ended up getting a 92" and the Panasonic after talking to someone from projector solutions on the phone.

Thanks again.

Leon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks