What's new

100 watt output and 300 watt speakers? (1 Viewer)

John David

Auditioning
My reciever is the typicaly 100 watt per channel output but I have L&R speakers that are rated at 300 watts but only singular inputs (biwiring?). I am worried about damaging the speakers from underpowering. What is the best way to solve this? I have my older kenwood reciever sitting around. Could I tie this in to add power or am I going to produce feedback and really screw myself? Thanks for your help everyone.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Biwiring would involve two separate inputs on the speaker giving you the ability to run each with a separate channel of amplification (which then requires more channels of amplification). Biwiring a speaker off of a single channel essentially buys you nothing.

The 300w rating of your speakers is not what you need to be concerned about, it is whether or not the receiver can actually deliver enough current to keep from clipping at your desired listening levels in your room. Without knowing what speakers or receiver, it's tough to say.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think they will be OK together. Just make sure you turn it down if it starts to sound strained.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks