What's new

100% newbie...with a low budget... fun, right? (1 Viewer)

derek1387

Auditioning
Real Name
derek lewis
I have been reading for about the last 2 months on what to look for. I just purchased a new Toshiba 55" TV, and want to get a home theater setup. I used to have a cheapo Samsung DVD player HTiB system, and it crapped out. To me, it sounded pretty good, but, I would assum a real system would sound even better.
My budget isnt huge. If I were to buy the whole system up front, $500 would be the max I could go. I have no problem piecing things together, if that makes it better to get a better system. I was looking at the Onkyo 5400 system which I have found for as low as $360. It is 7.1, which I dont need, but I would have the option for if I ever moved and had better space for it.
I know you guys get this a lot... but, if I were to piece together a barebones system, where should I start? I dont need top quality. I just need something that sounds decent, and isnt going to break the bank.
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I never recommend HTIB systems. Assuming you want a 5.1 system, I would buy the receiver and 2 front speakers first, and sub if possible. Then buy the surround speakers and center channel speaker later.
So ultimately you want a 5.1 system and receiver, correct? Any special receiver features needed?
Do you need a Blu-ray player also? Any special features needed?
What type of speakers do you want? Towers, bookshelf, satellites?

derek1387

Auditioning
Real Name
derek lewis
I have a PS3, so I have my BluRay Player.
I dont really have any preference on what kind of speaker I want. I like the look of them hanging on the wall, but I am open. This is my current setup in my house (ignore the crappy carpet, and everything else... house is pretty much under construction all the time) The picture looking at the TV is from me sitting on the couch, and the picture towards the couch, is sitting at the TV
IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0094.jpg

Viewing area is 15ft from couch to TV.

derek1387

Auditioning
Real Name
derek lewis
Jim Mcc said:
I never recommend HTIB systems. Assuming you want a 5.1 system, I would buy the receiver and 2 front speakers first, and sub if possible. Then buy the surround speakers and center channel speaker later.
So ultimately you want a 5.1 system and receiver, correct? Any special receiver features needed?
Do you need a Blu-ray player also? Any special features needed?
What type of speakers do you want? Towers, bookshelf, satellites?
But yes, 5.1 system. Recommendations on what to look for in a budget receiver? I looked at at ac4l.com and the pricing is great... the shipping kills it.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Piecing together a system is a good idea. But you know what, if you're just looking for a decent home theater experience, the Onkyo 5400 is a great deal. As bonus, the receiver is not a HTiB toy, so if you later want to upgrade the speakers or sub, you can. The 5400 does use satellite speakers, so the main reason not go with it is if you'll be using it for music an appreciable amount of time. Satellites work pretty well for movies (I have them in my main theater room), but not as well for straight music (I use bookshelfs for my music system).

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
As Al said, speakers are the weak link in most htib's and/or receiver speaker packages. I know you said shipping kills the receiver fron ac4l.com but check out this speaker/sub package. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKSKSHT540/Onkyo-SKS-HT540-7.1-channel-Home-Theater-Speaker-System/1.html It came with the older HT-800 system (I think) but I still think it's better than the speakers/sub in the 5400. And for $149 it's a bargain but shipping to CA is $63! But again, that's only $215 for seven decent speakers and a decent sub.
Ecost.com and Dakmart.com also sell Denon refurbs. Maybe shipping is better from them.
Newegg.com is another place to find good stuff on the cheap. They have the Pioneer 821 (5 channel) receiver for only $179 shipped. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117397
Their prices on Polk Monitor speakers are also very good. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008225%2050012345&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&SrchInDesc=monitor&Page=1&PageSize=20 But even with free shipping 4 Monitor 30's and a CS1 center would be $280. And you'ld still need a sub.
Here's an open box Boston Acoustics speaker/subwoofer package from Vanns.com's Clearance Center for $255 + sh. But as Al also said, might be better for movies/tv http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/clearance/544779013/boston-acoustics-cs2310b
If you're adventurous, check craigslist for the speakers/subwoofer. I've found some great deals on speakers there. In fact, I'm currently listening to two pair of Infinty Beta 20's and a C360 center. $1200 worth of speakers (and worth every penny:yum: ) that I paid less then $250 for. I currently on the hunt for a pair of Beta 50 towers. I'm also planning on listing some weather beaten (but fully functional) Athena Point 5 speakers and a HSU/Dayton 8" sub for about $175/$200 sometime soon. A really nice speaker/sub package, if you don't mind a few bumps and bruises.

derek1387

Auditioning
Real Name
derek lewis
I will not be doing much music with these, It will only be used for light gaming, and movies.
I take it refurbs in this industry are ok? Is the Denon 1312 a decent receiver or do I need to get something a little better to start out with?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Refurbs come with a one year warranty from the manufacturer so that's a good thing. Problems with Onkyo refurbs seem to be on the rise lately. I just ordered a Marantz from ac4l.com and have bought a receiver or two from them over the years (I buy most of my stuff from ebay/craigslist. I really live life on the edge :rolleyes: . But so far, so good.
The 1312 is the very entry level receiver in the Denon linup. Try and go up to the 1612 (or 1611-check the specs for differences. Last years 1611 might be better for some people) as it had Audyssey room correction which is well worth the added cost.
For movies/games you should get the best subwoofer and center channel you can get. Smaller satellites can sound very good in a smaller room. Bigger speakers usually sound better but good smaller speakers can sound good as well. The Bostons and the Energy Take Classic and RC satellites are pretty good for smaller speakers. But watch that crossover setting. They need 120-150hz.

derek1387

Auditioning
Real Name
derek lewis
A set of Energy Take Classics are in the classifieds for $275... think that would be a good start? I will look at the Denon 1612. Problem is, I really don't know what I should be looking for. It is so much different than car audio.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Those are going for $350-$400 right now so $275 for a used set isn't bad. The sub is the weak link. The 5 speakers without the sub is sometimes sold for $150-$200.
The Audyssey room correction is a big plus. Your room acoustics can alter the sound in a big way. Audyssey tries to correct this by analyzing the frequency response and automatically adjusting the eq properly.
Some other features that are popular are HDMI Pass-Thru which allows you to watch tv without the receiver on.
Video up-conversion. This converts analog video (like a vcr) to digital for output through the hdmi output.
More HDMI inputs, internet connectivity, HD radio, Internet Radio, Streaming, Bluetooth, pre-outs (to add an additional amplifier(s) are some other things to look for.
Don't be too concerned about power output. Any of these receivers will be strong enough and those numbers are less than accurate anyway. But make sure whichever speaker system you buy is 6 to 8 ohms. Receivers in this price range shouldn't be used with 4 ohm speakers
I also suggest you download the manuals and give them a peek (there's links on the bottom of the Crutchfield Comparison chart). Crutchfield "Hands On Research" feature is usually very helpful.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I saw in the Fry's add today that they have the Jamo 5 speaker set (with small towers) for $129 again and the H/k 1600 (from last year) for $199. Add a $100 sub from PartsExpress.com. Nice little system on the cheap.

derek1387

Auditioning
Real Name
derek lewis
Ended up getting a Denon AVR1612 from Vanns for 199.99, and an open box setup of Boston Acoutsics CS2310B's on recommendation from Gene C. really appreciate the help. Now its time to install!
Any recommendations on wiring/sub output cable? I was looking at monoprice for wall plates for speaker/sub jacks so I can run everything through the basement, but didnt really find exactly what I was looking for. Looking for a sub out/rear speaker out only wall jack.
And where can I find a good guide on speaker placement?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
From Dolby's website http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/setup/connection-guide/home-theater-speaker-guide/index.html
Try partsexpress.com too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks