What's new

100 hour burn in (1 Viewer)

Gary GJB

Auditioning
What should I expect to see after my RPTV has greater than 100 hours of run time on it? Better color, sharper picture, clearer? What have you seen? Thanks.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Uhhhhh... a TV burn-in is not like a speaker burn-in.

A speaker WILL change it's sound in the early hours as the stiff spider in the drivers loosen up.

But you want to wait 100 hours before paying a calibrationist to come in and adjust the new TV.

The optics are affected by the heating/cooling cycles making small changes to things expanding with the heat. The high-power electronics are also temperature sensitive and do 'settle in' in the first hours of use.

So I doubt you will notice the small changes taking place by simply watching the unit. But if you used some of the video test-patterns on the Avia disk and a Colormeter and took measurements, you MIGHT notice the changes at the end of the first 100 hours.

The other reason to wait: failures. If there is something going to break in a new TV, it will likely happen in the first 50-100 hours of use. If you paid someone $400 to calibrate the unit on the first day, then had to return it, the store will NOT refund your calibration fee.

A friend of mine went through 3 HDTV's in 2 weeks before he found one that stayed alive.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks