What's new

10 year old Sony, upgrade? (1 Viewer)

JorelB

Grip
Hi, I'm thinking of upgrading a 10 year old Sony 27 inch. Maybe to a Toshiba 27A41. Only thing I'm not sure of is will their will be a big difference. Nothing wrong with the TV now 'cept sometimes it goes black, but a quick power off then on fixes that. Plus it takes about 10 minutes for the sound to work. Also it misses around an inch of the picture on all 4 sides. So I guess there are somethings wrong with it :) But the pictures still fine. :)Im just worried that when I buy the Toshiba that I won't see a difference since it's not a Wega, cause I hear those are real good but too expensive. I prob said too much already, so I guess what I really want to know is will there be a big difference between a Toshiba with component input compared with a 10 year old Sony with composite(I think it's composite the 3 wires with one video and 2 audio) Ok I'll shut up now :)
Your help is much appreciated!
PS I got a Toshiba SD1600 DVD player so I can use the component

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Considering all the problems with your 10 year old set, you should see a definite improvement with a new one. Also, component video (or at least S-video) is noticeably better than composite, especially for DVD.

You don't need a Wega to get a great picture. Most any modern set (short of the really cheap ones) should be comparable if not superior to your old Sony.

KJP

Ron Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
But the new Wegas do the 'squeeze'. You can get a new 27" Wega for under 500. After you watch a DVD in the 16:9 anamorphic mode, you will be spoiled.

Tom Weeks

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony Wega and a Toshiba 36AFX61. To me the Toshiba is a much better set. Better picture, better sound, many more connection inputs. There just is no comparison. (I do like the Wega it's just the Toshiba is that much better).

JorelB

Grip
Thanks for your replies! I'm feeling much better on purchasing this TV :) The Toshiba 36AFX61, isn't that a flat scrren?

Tom Weeks

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, it's the Cinema Series with the flat screen. When I went shopping for a new tv, I was originally looking at a 36 in. Wega. The dealer (both Sony and Toshiba) talked me into the Toshiba. He had been having so many problems out of the Wega's that he was strongly recommending the Toshiba. It was about the same price as the Wega I was looking at and had many more features so I gave it a try. I really did not know much about Toshiba at the time, but have since found it to be a very nice tv.

JorelB

Grip
Hmmmm, looks like the Toshiba looks like a real winner for me :) Hopefully, I'll be able to get it soon. One more question, the Toshiba can also do the "squeeze", but not through the menus but through the service menu, correct? And if so, are there any good links to show how this is done?

JorelB

Grip
A thought just came to me, if I squeeze the picture on the Toshiba wouldn't the squeezed picture have so many lines as the TV does but the DVD would only use 480. Wouldn't that creater a worst picture? Since around every third line is blank.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks