What's new

"10.5" on the ridiculous scale... (1 Viewer)

Lars Larsen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lars Larsen
Hi,

NBC produces a TV mini series about a 10.5 quake hitting the U.S. West Coast...:
The CNN story

I wonder how something like this can get green-ligthed. I mean, it seems that with just a little more research and self-criticism this might actually have been both entertaining AND educational.

This one had me rolling:

Oh...ok...the Internet...hmmm!

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
While it does look like a fun, effects filled ride, that quote is amusing. It is kinda like the guy from The Core that said all of the science was true. Surrrre.

MattGentry

Second Unit
IIRC (and, I'm assuming that I'm not), isn't an earthquake registering 10.0 on the Ricter scale supposed to be felt all over the world at the same time? (I'd use the word "simaltaneously" , but I fear that it's spelled wrong.)

If that is truly the case, will that be dealt with in the movie, or will it be another "California-based" disaster?

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
To give you some estimate of how silly this all seems, the 1964 Good Friday earthquake in Alaska, where the fault slipped 70 feet in places, measured at 8.5. For every full number increase, the energy released increases thirty-one fold. That means that the earthquake depicted in this film would release 961 (31 times 31) times the energy of the greatest earthquake ever measured.

BTW, there is no upper limit to the Richter scale.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
For some reason this reminds me of the Spinal Tap "...our amplifiers go to 11." discussion.

Wasn't there a rediculous miniseries on CBS a couple years ago where an earthquake hits New York?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
It's just a TV movie. Like many others, I don't expect it to be accurate - I just want to have fun watching it!

Does anyone know how many nights/hours it will be?

Glenn

Lars Larsen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lars Larsen
I think what's disturbing is that a great deal of people will inadvertently regard the fiction as fact. I'll bet my shorts there's is going to be some kind of "quake expert" character in this mini series and some viewers are going to believe whatever nonsense comes out of his/her mouth simply because that character portrayes an authority figure.

It's not responsible story telling, but I guess the only thing that counts these days are spectacular promos and high ratings :frowning:

Of course, I could be proven wrong but history shows otherwise...

Micah Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Think of the sequals! 10.6, 10.7, 10.8...

Or the prequals! 10.5, 10.4, 10.3...

Or the director's cuts! 10.5.1, 10.5.2...

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit

Don't get me wrong, Glenn. I intend to watch it, at least if it's in HD.;) I love cheesy disaster movies. My favorite way to waste a weekend afternoon is this double feature that the Sci-Fi Channel periodically shows: "Ice" followed by "Inferno." In the former, unusual solar activity causes an instant mother of all Ice Ages -- temps of 120 below zero -- and a hardy band of Los Angelenos struggle to survive. In the latter, unusual solar activity causes temperatures to soar to the 160 degree range and a hardy band of Los Angelenos struggles to survive. This double bill and a good Chardonay is enough for me to call it a good, no, great weekend afternoon.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor

That was the earthquake that caused a tsunami in my hometown (which is on Vancouver Island in BC, Canada). I saw the commerical for the movie but I totally forgot all about it.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Is Irwin Allen's estate producing?
Is Donald Trump going to be in it just to improve the movie's ratings?

NBC sure is sliding down the fault line.
Remember they used to have good shows and good programming?

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
I can see NBC doing massive bookings for their Today show all week long and perky Katie blaming this all on the Bush environmental policies!

BTW, my wife will most definitely be watching this as she is a BIG Irwin Allen fan. Yep, she's even got his Earthquake movie, too!

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit

All the same, I look back at the 70s "Earthquake" with great fondness. "Sensaround," or whatever it was called, George Kennedy, Charlton Heston -- now that was entertainment!;)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
This reminds of the the NBC miniseries "THE BIG ONE: THE GREAT LOS ANGELES EARTHQUAKE" that aired back in 1990. I was 12 at the time, and was heavy into the disaster flicks of the 70s. It could not have come at a better time for me. I even had it on tape until a few years ago. I thought it was really a cool movie, and rather well done. It stared tv regulars Joanna Kerns, Dan Lauria, Joe Spano, Ed Begly Jr., The SFX were pretty good. I remember the buildings flexing and rippling like sheets in the wind.

IMDB listing

Chris

Senior HTF Member
After seeing this promo, for some reason, the only thing I could think of was a movie based close to where I live (The Day After) which was a pretty crap nuke movie, but eh.

Mike Soltis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Well other discussions about this movie have indicated that the San Andreas could not cause a 10.5 earthquake anyways.

The good friday earthquake in Alaska (8.5) was felt as far away as Washington, DC. So a 10.5 in California would cause a lot of problems for the whole country (not to mention the tsunamis which would do a number on Hawaii and Japan :)

I don't actually watch disaster movies/miniseries for their accuracy anyways...except maybe "The Core" :rolleyes

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
It is so amusing to see some scientists wringing their hands about this. "The buildings won't shake THIS MUCH, they'll shake THIS MUCH, oh woahs me."

Sounds like some of them are just pissed they didn't get to be paid consultants.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks