What's new

1 sub 2 sub red sub blue sub? what would get the best results? (1 Viewer)

Geno

Supporting Actor
I have a question about subs

take a 120 x2 class b amp.

is it better [better results/smoother bass] to:

1. 1 driver 1 enclosure 1 channel
2. 2 drivers 1 enclosure 1 channel
3. 2 drivers 1 enclosure 2 channels [mono lfe signal split before preamp]
4 2 drivers 2 enclosures 2 channels [mono lfe signal split before preamp]

if I am missing an alternative, lemme know.
75/25% music/HT

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Depends on the driver and enclosure used.

For some drivers and enclosures 3 or 4 would be the best option with that amp. For others, 5 (1 driver, 1box, 2 channels) would be.

For example, a Tempest (this driver has dual voice coils) in a 240L+ enclosure tune to under 20hz with a 6" port would be best utilized if each voice coil was hooked to one of the amp channels.

But if you put a pair of Tempests in an infinite baffel enclosure then each Tempest could easily be run off of a single channel.

Geno

Supporting Actor
ok subs havent been built yet, im in the process of designing. I came to this area to get general ideas before I started cutting. I dont even have specs on woofers yet. but I know they do very well. anyway, im assuming im going with sealed box [better for music, generally speaking]
if i went with two boxes, they would be on either side of my couch, if I went with one box, it would be behind the couch facing down, again most likely.
I just wanted a general idea of what would get the higher spl from those 4 different setups
I assumed it was 2 speakers, one box but from what im reading, i got confused. i will test woofers this weekend and post on the DIY section.

Geno

Supporting Actor
ps, I dont think I can bridge this amp
Nikko alpha II class B solid state built in 2 x monoblock setup

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
You have the drivers already?

You need to measure their T/S or do you have a model number and/or manufactures specs?

Geno

Supporting Actor
um i have the drivers, and I have no idea what specs are.

put it this way, the manufacturers sub that uses three of the woofers is spec'd at 18 hz

i will do thourough testing over the weekend and get back to y'all

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Well here are the possibilities listed:

111 =
121 = impossible
112 = add - (one channel to each voice coil)
122 = impossible
211 =
221 = add - (drivers wired parallel or series)
212 =
222 =

whoops, gtg

Geno

Supporting Actor
Chris, I understand the wiring possobilities. I know I wont wire both voice coils per driver.

I am looking for an answer on performance

Geno

Supporting Actor
anyone else have any input?

These drivers are really nice and I want to get "the best" setup for them. if the answer is driver/enclosure specific, I guess I gotta wait until I get all the specs.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
On the one hand, you want "the best" performance from them, on the other you want to build right now. You can't do both if you don't have the specs for the subs, since you can't design and tune a proper enclosure without that info.

Geno

Supporting Actor
I think you misunderstood John. this weekend, I am getting all the specs. this thread was just to get a general concencus of what HTF'ers thought. With the drivers I have, I will definately NOT screw this up.

These drivers belong in $10,000 speakers.
I will do everything correctly, I just need to know ehat is correct and what isnt.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was not giving a consensus, I was agreeing with Dustin, with respect to the enclosure design. I've built subs based on driver specs with very good results. My last one was dual driver, single, sealed enclosure, good for mid to low 20s. It was too big, and just a bit unatractive :D, just a little shorter than an SVS 20-39.
Have you built a sub before?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Ok, Geno, I'm really curious now, what commercial sub's drivers do you have? The only 3 driver sub I'm aware of is the Martin Logan Decent.

Geno

Supporting Actor
:)
edit: well I hope you all will help out once I do get the specs up. if I jump on them tonite, Ill post tonite or tommorow.
I would really like to have a nice sub. I can always upgrade the amp later. possibly sell the Nikko and its preamp and purchace a PE plate amp. once I get the sub done I can focus the other speakers.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Well you asked if you were missing an alternative and I posted 2 alternatives you were missing but anyways:

Here's a simple answer:

2 drivers
2 channels (since you said bridge to mono is not be possible)
2 enclosures (you can play with placement more)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks