$1,000-1500 Budget for 2 Speaker System

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brian_Br, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Brian_Br

Brian_Br Auditioning

Hi, I have always wanted a decent sound system, and finally have the opportunity to buy one for my apartment. I have set aside about $1000-1500 for the entire system. I figure that would cover 2 speakers, a reciever/amp, cd player and cables. What would you recommend in terms of equipment for this setup for everyday music listening (most genres) in a small room?

I went to an audio store and listened to several speakers (saphire, mirage, totem, b/w, and paradigm). Being very new to this field, I was hoping to get some opinions.

Thanks for the help.

Brian

2. Peter P

Peter P Auditioning

I am a novice, so I will refer you to the articles I read, since I can't verify anything. I want a HT and have been reading Home Theater Mag. In the 5/04 edition, they have 5 different HT configurations, each for under $5000, including the TV. One of them includes the Cambridge SoundWorks HTIB, which gives you a lot for $1150. It is the MegaTheater 530 HTIB. It includes a lot more than you ashed for with your budget, and I don't think if it wasn't serious sound that it would be in that magazine. The same magazine has a recommendation for the Pioneer HTZ-9400V HTIB wihch includes a universal disc player for $1400.

If anyone reading this has an opinion on either of these systems, please let me know, since I may buy one. I know HTIB doesn't appeal to hard core audiophiles, but I want something simple that sounds good and is matched.