What's new

Need advice with setup (1 Viewer)

toannh2001

Auditioning
Real Name
John Nguyen
I am still new to the home theater systems so I hope someone could answer my question. I have a Pioneer VSX 524K receiver, Polk CS1 Series II Center Speaker, Polk Monitor 50 Series II Floorstanding Speakers (use as rear/surround speakers), Polk PSW10 Powered Subwoofer, and Kilpsch Synergy F-20 Floorstanding Speakers (use as front speakers). I have been using them for 5 months and it was fine until recently the receiver is overheat and turned off by itself several time. Does anyone know what could possibly go wrong here?

toannh2001

Auditioning
Real Name
John Nguyen
it is in the traditional TV stand, but not inside a cabinet. It's in the open shelves with some room for ventilation. Could it be the problem with underpowered receiver trying to drive some bigger speakers that it doesn't have enough power to do so?

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Overheating could be an issue, but the first thing I'd check is to make sure that none of the speaker wires are touching each other. That will cause them to short which makes the unit shut down. Disconnect all of the wires both at the receiver and speaker and reconnect to make sure that they are plugged in properly.

hotrodguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cliff
After checking the wires as Carl said and while I haven't researched your speakers or the amp, make sure the impedence load matches, meaning check the speakers to make sure they are either 6 or 8 ohms, if they're 4 ohms, check your receivers manual to see if it can drive a 4 ohm load.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Big speakers are typically easier to drive than small speakers. If you had tiny speakers, not having enough power would be a legit problem.

When it shuts off...

How hot is it?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
There must something going on if his receiver is getting hot. Pioneers are the coolest running avr's of them all. My 6 year old vsx-23 has been on for hours powering some 6 ohm MB Quart Vera's, admittedly at moderate volumes, and I just put a thermometer on it and it reads 95 degrees. And it is sitting in a cubby hole :eek: ! When I put my hand on it it feels more like 80 degrees.

Maybe he should dis-connect the center and surrounds and see if it still shuts off. Or, dis-connect them all and it run while idling :wacko: .

Update: I plugged in some 4 ohm MB Quarts and it shot up to 115 degrees...and stayed there. Still feel luke warm to me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks