What's new

Bose cubes - in ceiling? (1 Viewer)

Foxtrot

Auditioning
Real Name
Blake
Hello all, new member here and glad to be part of the forum. I have an old set of Bose acoustimass 7 front and 3 rear speakers and wanted to put them back to use. My wife doesn't like the idea of the cubes exposed on the ceiling. In my efforts to appease, I have not been able to find some blank speaker enclosures with grilles to hide the cubes in. I realize most people here are going to tell me to ditch the Bose system for actual in wall/ceiling components and a 'real' sub but I like the acoustimass setup and better yet I already have it. I've had good sound with it in the past as long as the bass modules are confined by furniture in the room. Does anyone know of a speaker enclosure product or have any bright ideas? It would be great to have a paintable grille surface too. Will this even work or do the cubes need to be exposed in the room?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Ok so you want to mount the bose cubes in the ceiling, behind some paintable grills...oh boy. I'm not trying to be a jerk...seriously but I think you're going to a lot of trouble to have it sound like crap. You normally want your speakers at or near ear level when sitting down not up above you behind a grill and another grill...

I don't get the whole I can see the speakers thing especially with some bose cubes as they are about as small as you're going to get. However, if you can't mount them next to/near the TV at or near ear level I would just move them to another room where you can set them up right and enjoy it.

Foxtrot

Auditioning
Real Name
Blake
I have to agree with you. Thanks for the reply. I think I will save the Bose and use in the garage one day (still need to build it). There seems to be some decent deals on Amazon for in wall/ceiling speakers. I was just trying to avoid shelling out another 6 to 800 bucks so I could put my Bose system back into storage.

I had to rough everything into the ceiling in our room as there is just too much window and not enough wall. I would just install the cubes exposed on the ceiling, but I don't know I'll be able to find my speaker wire in all 5 spots. When i roughed it in, I left a small loop of wire real close to where the surround speakers will go but it's not exact. I had planned on making a large hole for new speakers or a box for the cubes that I could get my hand into to grab the speaker wire. I figure the largest hole I could make and easily cover with the Bose cube mounting flange is about an inch diameter and am worried that won't be large enough to get a hold of the wires tucked up in the ceiling in all 5 locations.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Enclosing a speaker into another box is always a bad idea sound-wise, so I wouldn't do it in the first place. Speakers don't ALWAYS have to be at ear level, but that's the ideal if it can be done. Surrounds are FAR less critical, so you can get away with less than ideal placement of them. Your idea of just building a box and covering with a grille should work fine, but finding a way to mount them would be better. Something as simple as this:

http://www.btechavmounts.com/product-range/professional/speaker-mounts/ceiling-mounts/products/bt342

Since you tucked the wire in the ceiling, you'd be better off with in-celing surrounds IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks