What's new

3D Flesh for Frankenstein (1 Viewer)

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
When I saw the 80s revival of this at London's ICA, the person introducing it said that:
1 - it was financed by the Mafia,
2 - several scenes relating to the female monster were removed by the censors
3 - Robert Bernier, inventor of SpaceVision, was sacked as DP by Paul Morrissey for taking too long to set up his shots.
He also warned us to look out for the bats!
At no point did he mention that it was supposed to be a comedy.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I recall reading the rights owners won't allow the restoration of the 3D elements so i doubt it will get a good release if it comes out, i forget the exact reason, probably to do with money and finance, i think it needs some work to bring it up to snuff for blu ray.

If anyone has information to the contrary and my memory is playing up then i'm all ears, i don't mind being wrong.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
FoxyMulder said:
I recall reading the rights owners won't allow the restoration of the 3D elements so i doubt it will get a good release if it comes out.
That would be a shame.

FFF was 3D done correctly. Whatever one may think of the content, IMHO it ranks among the best use of 3D that I've seen. I can still remember the theater that I saw it in. I was just old enough back then to get into an "X" rated film. That was exciting enough, but add in the props that were coming right out of the screen, and into your face.... Yikes!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Awesome list of trivia. This film is just nuts. I'd love to upgrade to bluray 3D!

Saw it in the 80s during the 3D revival, I was a kid with an even younger son of one of my father's co-workers. They wouldn't let me buy the tickets after mom dropped us off. Mom's like, "hum? Why won't they... !" She thought it was a Hammer or something so she got our tickets. Afterall, it was just a Frankenstein movie! lol As we were watching and a really crazy scene came up he leaned over and said "I don't think I'm supposed to be watching this..." I told him to put his hands over his eyes. I wasn't about to leave! one of my favorite movie memories. I hope it didn't warp that kid much.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I'd like to have kept the very cool SpaceVision glasses but they were all carefully retrieved by the cinema staff.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
StephenDH said:
I'd like to have kept the very cool SpaceVision glasses but they were all carefully retrieved by the cinema staff.
I have the field-sequential 3D version but you need a CRT TV, shutter glasses, etc.

Bob Furmanek posted that he talked to Paul Morrissey about correcting the 3D problems but Paul wanted him to do it for free.

f.jpg

fp.jpg

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
The glasses for The Bubble and/or FFF were plastic framed wraparounds and wouldn't have looked out of place in The Matrix. Very hipsterish. I'm not surprised they didn't give them away.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
RolandL said:
Bob Furmanek posted that he talked to Paul Morrissey about correcting the 3D problems but Paul wanted him to do it for free.
Maybe we could KickStart Bob's work on this. It's a really fun 3-D movie that deserves to be fixed up and saved. I would certainly buy the blu-ray.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I remember seeing this in the 70s. It was easily the best 3D movie I'd seen to that point, sure there were gimmicky things, besides the sex and decapitation. I especially remember, sitting in a seat quite near the front in an almost empty theater, the guts hanging on a spear sticking out into my face. I (we) were just barely old enough to get in.

Yup, plastic-framed polarized glasses, basically like really cheap Polaroid ones, and we couldn't keep them though we tried...

I have the non-anamorphic Criterion, shouldn't be hard to beat, as most Crits from that era aren't.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"Bob Furmanek posted that he talked to Paul Morrissey about correcting the 3D problems but Paul wanted him to do it for free."Who owns the rights?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jari K said:
"Bob Furmanek posted that he talked to Paul Morrissey about correcting the 3D problems but Paul wanted him to do it for free."Who owns the rights?
I assume that Morrissey owns the rights.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
CraigF said:
I remember seeing this in the 70s. It was easily the best 3D movie I'd seen to that point, sure there were gimmicky things, besides the sex and decapitation. I especially remember, sitting in a seat quite near the front in an almost empty theater, the guts hanging on a spear sticking out into my face. I (we) were just barely old enough to get in.

Yup, plastic-framed polarized glasses, basically like really cheap Polaroid ones, and we couldn't keep them though we tried...

I have the non-anamorphic Criterion, shouldn't be hard to beat, as most Crits from that era aren't.

"A liver in your lap!" as one critic commented at the time.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
There are a number of out-of-the-screen effects. I don't remember anything thrown at you.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Notice how all of us who saw this film in 3D (original run or revival) have very vivid memories of it? It was an experience! Regardless of what you thought of the content...it's hard to imagine anybody took it seriously, but some people always do for every film regardless of the intent. It's not at all the same in 2D (via DVD) IMO.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I still have the old (non anamorphic) Criterion DVDs of Flesh for Frankenstein and Blood for Dracula. From what I can find on the net, there doesn't seem to be a much better transfer of either film available.

There's a Japanese Blu-ray of each film, but I cannot find a professional review. I'd like to know how they compare to the Australian transfers (which I've heard are very soft, and blurry). Does anyone own these, and are they worth importing?

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
No one has ever had anything good to say about these Aussie discs. I have a feeling they're homemade and probably best avoided.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
StephenDH said:
No one has ever had anything good to say about these Aussie discs. I have a feeling they're homemade and probably best avoided.
I thought the Australian 1959 Journey To the Center of the Earth Blu-ray was said to be the same as TT?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks