Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Flesh for Frankenstein

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 of 93 OFFLINE   StephenDH

StephenDH

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted July 06 2014 - 03:25 AM

When I saw the 80s revival of this at London's ICA, the person introducing it said that:

1 - it was financed by the Mafia,

2 - several scenes relating to the female monster were removed by the censors

3 -  Robert Bernier, inventor of SpaceVision, was sacked as DP by Paul Morrissey for taking too long to set up his shots.

He also warned us to look out for the bats!

At no point did he mention that it was supposed to be a comedy.

• Radioman970 likes this

"They say money talks; all mine ever said was "Goodbye."": Dick Spanner.

#2 of 93 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,039 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted July 21 2014 - 04:42 PM

I saw this in it's original release (polarized glasses 3D). Unforgettable!

Hoping for a Criterion 3D Blu-ray.

#3 of 93 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 21 2014 - 04:45 PM

I recall reading the rights owners won't allow the restoration of the 3D elements so i doubt it will get a good release if it comes out, i forget the exact reason, probably to do with money and finance, i think it needs some work to bring it up to snuff for blu ray.

If anyone has information to the contrary and my memory is playing up then i'm all ears, i don't mind being wrong.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 of 93 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,039 posts

Posted July 21 2014 - 04:54 PM

I recall reading the rights owners won't allow the restoration of the 3D elements so i doubt it will get a good release if it comes out.

That would be a shame.

FFF was 3D done correctly. Whatever one may think of the content, IMHO it ranks among the best use of 3D that I've seen. I can still remember the theater that I saw it in. I was just old enough back then to get into an "X" rated film. That was exciting enough, but add in the props that were coming right out of the screen, and into your face.... Yikes!

• Radioman970 and ABaglivi like this

#5 of 93 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,883 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted July 21 2014 - 05:15 PM

Awesome list of trivia.  This film is just nuts.  I'd love to upgrade to bluray 3D! 

Saw it in the 80s during the 3D revival, I was a kid with an even younger son of one of my father's co-workers.  They wouldn't let me buy the tickets after mom dropped us off.  Mom's like, "hum?  Why won't they... !"   She thought it was a Hammer or something so she got our tickets. Afterall, it was just a Frankenstein movie!  lol  As we were watching and a really crazy scene came up he leaned over and said "I don't think I'm supposed to be watching this..."  I told him to put his hands over his eyes.  I wasn't about to leave!    one of my favorite movie memories.  I hope it didn't warp that kid much. 

• Reed Grele and Will Krupp like this
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#6 of 93 OFFLINE   phillyrobt

phillyrobt

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted July 21 2014 - 10:38 PM

http://cinematreasur...21/photos/64868

#7 of 93 OFFLINE   StephenDH

StephenDH

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted July 22 2014 - 01:14 AM

I'd like to have kept the very cool SpaceVision glasses but they were all carefully retrieved by the cinema staff.

#8 of 93 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,356 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted July 22 2014 - 06:11 AM

POPULAR

I'd like to have kept the very cool SpaceVision glasses but they were all carefully retrieved by the cinema staff.

I have the field-sequential 3D version but you need a CRT TV, shutter glasses, etc.

Bob Furmanek posted that he talked to Paul Morrissey about correcting the 3D problems but Paul wanted him to do it for free.

f.jpg

fp.jpg

• Radioman970, FoxyMulder and RJ992 like this

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#9 of 93 OFFLINE   StephenDH

StephenDH

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted July 22 2014 - 06:29 AM

The glasses for The Bubble and/or FFF were plastic framed wraparounds and wouldn't have looked out of place in The Matrix. Very hipsterish. I'm not surprised they didn't give them away.

#10 of 93 OFFLINE   SFMike

SFMike

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted July 22 2014 - 08:16 AM

Bob Furmanek posted that he talked to Paul Morrissey about correcting the 3D problems but Paul wanted him to do it for free.

Maybe we could KickStart Bob's work on this. It's a really fun 3-D movie that deserves to be fixed up and saved. I would certainly buy the blu-ray.

• Reed Grele and Radioman970 like this

#11 of 93 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,367 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted July 22 2014 - 09:57 AM

I remember seeing this in the 70s. It was easily the best 3D movie I'd seen to that point, sure there were gimmicky things, besides the sex and decapitation. I especially remember, sitting in a seat quite near the front in an almost empty theater, the guts hanging on a spear sticking out into my face. I (we) were just barely old enough to get in.

Yup, plastic-framed polarized glasses, basically like really cheap Polaroid ones, and we couldn't keep them though we tried...

I have the non-anamorphic Criterion, shouldn't be hard to beat, as most Crits from that era aren't.

#12 of 93 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,221 posts

Posted July 22 2014 - 01:30 PM

"Bob Furmanek posted that he talked to Paul Morrissey about correcting the 3D problems but Paul wanted him to do it for free."

Who owns the rights?

#13 of 93 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 22 2014 - 01:45 PM

"Bob Furmanek posted that he talked to Paul Morrissey about correcting the 3D problems but Paul wanted him to do it for free."

Who owns the rights?

I assume that Morrissey owns the rights.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#14 of 93 OFFLINE   StephenDH

StephenDH

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted July 22 2014 - 02:06 PM

I remember seeing this in the 70s. It was easily the best 3D movie I'd seen to that point, sure there were gimmicky things, besides the sex and decapitation. I especially remember, sitting in a seat quite near the front in an almost empty theater, the guts hanging on a spear sticking out into my face. I (we) were just barely old enough to get in.

Yup, plastic-framed polarized glasses, basically like really cheap Polaroid ones, and we couldn't keep them though we tried...

I have the non-anamorphic Criterion, shouldn't be hard to beat, as most Crits from that era aren't.

"A liver in your lap!" as one critic commented at the time.

• Radioman970 and ahollis like this

#15 of 93 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,039 posts

Posted July 22 2014 - 07:23 PM

To know death, Otto, you have to f*** life... in the gall bladder!

• Radioman970 likes this

#16 of 93 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,356 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted July 23 2014 - 07:01 AM

There are a number of out-of-the-screen effects. I don't remember anything thrown at you.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#17 of 93 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,367 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted July 23 2014 - 09:18 AM

Notice how all of us who saw this film in 3D (original run or revival) have very vivid memories of it? It was an experience! Regardless of what you thought of the content...it's hard to imagine anybody took it seriously, but some people always do for every film regardless of the intent. It's not at all the same in 2D (via DVD) IMO.

#18 of 93 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,039 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 09:25 AM

I still have the old (non anamorphic) Criterion DVDs of Flesh for Frankenstein and Blood for Dracula. From what I can find on the net, there doesn't seem to be a much better transfer of either film available.

There's a Japanese Blu-ray of each film, but I cannot find a professional review. I'd like to know how they compare to the Australian transfers (which I've heard are very soft, and blurry). Does anyone own these, and are they worth importing?

#19 of 93 OFFLINE   StephenDH

StephenDH

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted July 23 2014 - 11:28 AM

No one has ever had anything good to say about these Aussie discs. I have a feeling they're homemade and probably best avoided.

#20 of 93 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,356 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted July 23 2014 - 11:45 AM

No one has ever had anything good to say about these Aussie discs. I have a feeling they're homemade and probably best avoided.

I thought the Australian 1959 Journey To the Center of the Earth Blu-ray was said to be the same as TT? 

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users