What's new

Wanting to change my audio sys (1 Viewer)

jonito258

Grip
Real Name
Jonatan
I wanna change the audio system in my room.

The size of the room is aprox. 296 cm x 327 cm.

Here's the story:

In the begining (2009 or 2010) I bought a Samsung SyncMaster T240N: a Samsung computer monitor, VGA 1200p to play games.

Then in 2011 I bought the Logitech Z906 to have better sound in my games.

Last year I decided to buy a TV; the LG 47LA6200, and I linked my PC to the TV. Now I use my Z906 and my LG to reproduce all my media.
Aside from the PC I have a PS3 and an Apple TV (in which I connect the iPad and iPhone).

So the thing is I want to update to something more powerfull. My budget is around $1000 and with that I want to buy any component that is necesary (AVR, Speakers, Universal Remote, etc.)

I'm very noob in this thing, so if you have a guide or some article you think is worth reading, please tell me.

Thanks,
jonito258.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Your options are almost unlimited, but I'd go to newegg.com and get some Polk Audio Monitors. 45B for front, 15C for center and 35B for surrounds, a BIC F-12 sub from Amazon and one of the many $450 range receivers. Plenty of others here can recommend those, since I'm not up to date on current offerings. That will be a very nice $1K system. Parts Express also has a new Dayton 15" sub that could be really nice at the same price.

jonito258

Grip
Real Name
Jonatan
Ok, great.

I'd like a receiver easy to set-up, beacuse I don't have experience at all with AVR.
Do you have anything in mind?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Onkyo tend to be the easiest. However the new Yamaha 377 has YPAO and none of the stuff you don't need(cause you got everything "net" covered).Other than the Polk you'll have options in BIC DV and Pioneer Andrew Jones.Stick with F12 no matter what you do.

jonito258

Grip
Real Name
Jonatan
All the speakers that you make reference are similar in performance or it depends in each particular model? Plus, do I need to have some sort of consideration about the size of my room. (3 x 3 meters or 10 x 10 fts)?

jonito258

Grip
Real Name
Jonatan
schan1269 said:
10X10 isn't that big(not in the US anyway).You won't need much power to drive any of them.
I asked because I thought that is a very narrow space.

jonito258

Grip
Real Name
Jonatan
Of all the speakers aforementioned, do you recommend a model in special or they all have similar performance specs?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
KEF T is an entirely new speaker design. Did you look them up?Def Tech Mythos has been around since the flat panel itself.Pinnacle QP is the original "meant to be used with with a flat TV" speaker line.Polk On Wall(hence OW) is a rebox of the Monitor line intended to be On the Wall.

jonito258

Grip
Real Name
Jonatan
I saw them all, but I was confused by the price difference.The KEF T are really nice but is much higher than my budget.The price difference is because it's a better quality product or is just for the looks?I also liked the Pinnacle QP bars, but there were so many variants that I don't know how to look.In the other hand, the Polk seems to be the cheaper ones. If all the speakers have similar quality, I should go with them.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The QP are aluminum. The numbers corespond to the number of drivers contained.The T series costs what it does cause it is thin. The thinnest speakers there are.

jonito258

Grip
Real Name
Jonatan
Oh. That's interesting.I thin I like the QP, but I was wandering if there is a decent ceiling speaker, because I think that the rear speakers will fit better in the ceiling. Or maybe I can put some on wall speakers on the ceiling (or is that blasphemy?).What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks