Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

An open invitation to Warner to discuss your catalog titles

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#81 of 112 OFFLINE   bruceames

bruceames

Second Unit

• 417 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 02:47 PM

Two different animals.  Just because it looked good on DVD doesn't mean it will pass the mustard in 1080p.

Correct, however it goes without saying that the better it looks on DVD (comparative to other DVDs of like movies), the more likely it will pass the mustard on Blu-ray.

#82 of 112 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,141 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted March 13 2014 - 02:52 PM

That's true, but if TT can justify releasing a films like The Wayward Bus, then I think there's room for movies like Top Hat and Swing Time, which are not only much better movies, but more popular as well (judging by # of IMDb votes anyway).

...but both Top Hat and Swing Time already have a history on home video via DVD, LD, and VHS editions.

The Wayward Bus is perhaps a poor comparison because that title had been a total no-show since VHS at the wishes of the Steinbeck estate, and had never been available previously in widescreen on home video. The release of that Blu-ray was a bit of archival heroism on the part of Twilight Time. 

• ahollis likes this

#83 of 112 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,865 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 13 2014 - 02:55 PM

Correct, however it goes without saying that the better it looks on DVD (comparative to other DVDs of like movies), the more likely it will pass the mustard on Blu-ray.

Again, Warner's standards are probably different than yours.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#84 of 112 OFFLINE   bruceames

bruceames

Second Unit

• 417 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 03:08 PM

...but both Top Hat and Swing Time already have a history on home video via DVD, LD, and VHS editions.

The Wayward Bus is perhaps a poor comparison because that title had been a total no-show since VHS at the wishes of the Steinbeck estate, and had never been available previously in widescreen on home video. The release of that Blu-ray was a bit of archival heroism on the part of Twilight Time. 

Yeah I know The Wayward Bus has never seen a DVD release, but didn't know the reason why.  Thanks for the info.

#85 of 112 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,141 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 03:57 PM

POPULAR

Yeah I know The Wayward Bus has never seen a DVD release, but didn't know the reason why.  Thanks for the info.

The Wayward Bus is easily among the rarest vault curiosities TT has offered to date. Apart from its previous MIA status on DVD plus continued unavailability in widescreen form via any other hard media edition, its monochrome 'Scope looks terrific. TT's disc also includes a fascinating, deep under the covers commentary about this picture's rocky development, production, release and reception, plus of course, Leigh Harline's superbly recovered score in isolated form.

Yet TWB remains one of TT's fits and spurts selling Blu-rays squarely targeted at the vintage 'Scope faithful, plus completist fans of Mansfield and Collins. Since it is still available after 2 years, I think it's pretty safe to say that when those last discs finally do go, no one will run with this title again, not even Fox, except possibly via streaming minus the commentary and isolated score (both major selling points in this particular case).

Actually, I thought it was a top-notch package and have felt compelled to watch the infernal thing three times since purchase - for the most fun, with its candid commentary on. But it's still a sobering reminder, germane to this discussion, that even something as back-of-the-vault rare as this can still struggle to find 3000 collectors worldwide dedicated enough to actually want to own it.

• Matt Hough, bruceames and ahollis like this

#86 of 112 OFFLINE   bruceames

bruceames

Second Unit

• 417 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 04:26 PM

A few other obscure Fox oddities from Twilight Time that have not been released on DVD (although a few are available as imports), are Rapture, The Only Game in Town, The Sound and the Fury, High Time, The Rains of Ranchipur and Pony Soldier.   All of these are just as obscure as The Wayward Bus.   I guess it's nice to know that Blu-ray has a few "exclusives" of its own!    :)

#87 of 112 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,852 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 14 2014 - 01:14 PM

I hope you guys are happy.

All this talk about Twilight Time's limited edition runs forced me to go and finally order (after having it in my cart at least a half-dozen times) a copy of Philadelphia. 

WAY too expensive.  But I've really had a hankerin' to see it again.  And I was hoping it would be announced as out-of-stock and that my itch would go away.  But that hasn't happened. 

And I was even thinking as I pulled the trigger on this purchase that there would likely be a sale now on TT titles (even though they are few and far between).

And, of course, comes the announcement today of the $10 off sale to celebrate TT's 3rd birthdayspeechless-smiley-034.gif

Everybody's welcome!   :biggrin:

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#88 of 112 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted March 14 2014 - 04:47 PM

Two different animals.  Just because it looked good on DVD doesn't mean it will pass the mustard in 1080p.

Mustard is cut. "Cut the mustard"

Muster is passed. "Pass muster"

Carry on.

#89 of 112 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,141 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 04:56 PM

Pass the mustard, my hot dog is getting cold... :P

• davidHartzog and schan1269 like this

#90 of 112 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,707 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 08:20 PM

The Wayward Bus is easily among the rarest vault curiosities TT has offered to date. Apart from its previous MIA status on DVD plus continued unavailability in widescreen form via any other hard media edition, its monochrome 'Scope looks terrific. TT's disc also includes a fascinating, deep under the covers commentary about this picture's rocky development, production, release and reception, plus of course, Leigh Harline's superbly recovered score in isolated form.

Yet TWB remains one of TT's fits and spurts selling Blu-rays squarely targeted at the vintage 'Scope faithful, plus completist fans of Mansfield and Collins. Since it is still available after 2 years, I think it's pretty safe to say that when those last discs finally do go, no one will run with this title again, not even Fox, except possibly via streaming minus the commentary and isolated score (both major selling points in this particular case).

Actually, I thought it was a top-notch package and have felt compelled to watch the infernal thing three times since purchase - for the most fun, with its candid commentary on. But it's still a sobering reminder, germane to this discussion, that even something as back-of-the-vault rare as this can still struggle to find 3000 collectors worldwide dedicated enough to actually want to own it.

I preordered this right away when it was first made available because I was equally shocked by the film being made available.  It was passed over on both the Jayne Mansfield and Joan Collins DVD boxed sets and the word was that it had rights problems.  Even Twilight Time expressed shock that Fox was actually willing to license the title and and HS master was already made saying (paraphrasing) "We also thought there were rights issues to this.  Yet we asked for this title and surprisingly, they said it was okay!"

#91 of 112 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,141 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 10:12 PM

Then I guess The Wayward Bus Wiki needs a citation for this statement Joe:

"The film was never officially released on DVD because Steinbeck's widow bought back the rights and refuses to let it be released because Steinbeck was greatly displeased with the final result."

Like everyone else, I'd always understood that this film had been permanently interned by the Steinbeck estate. The only possible loophole I could think of that might have allowed for release of this film on Blu-ray was its strict 3000 unit limit. I mean, there might have been some specific wording in the agreement that prevented Fox from a wider release on DVD, but did not restrict the studio (or a sub-licensee) from releasing a limited, archival presentation like this...especially in a format that did not even exist when the original agreement was signed.

Beats me, but I was just as shocked to see it available from TT...

#92 of 112 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 860 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted March 14 2014 - 10:23 PM

The production code made its usual demands, and a happy ending was added as well. Not Steinbeck's intent.

Nevertheless, was I glad to see it in such a great transfer!

#93 of 112 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,798 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 14 2014 - 10:35 PM

Then I guess The Wayward BusWiki needs a citation for this statement Joe:

Like everyone else, I'd always understood that this film had been permanently interned by the Steinbeck estate. The only possible loophole I could think of that might have allowed for release of this film on Blu-ray was its strict 3000 unit limit. I mean, there might have been some specific wording in the agreement that prevented Fox from a wider release on DVD, but did not restrict the studio (or a sub-licensee) from releasing a limited, archival presentation like this...especially in a format that did not even exist when the original agreement was signed.

Beats me, but I was just as shocked to see it available from TT...

I was just as shocked to see the Otto Preminger Paramount titles from Olive. Rights issues with the Preminger estate was all everyone said was the problem they were not released but lo and behold their they were finally.
  • ROclockCK likes this

#94 of 112 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,141 posts

Posted March 15 2014 - 11:26 AM

It's indeed a mystery how these things play out sometimes Allen...

Back to the topic at hand though, I wonder if WB would consider offering some kind of 'subscription' service for the WAC? Simply to guarantee several thousand units per title and justify a base run. Sort of like the 'book of the month club', only for Blu-ray. I mean, at this late date, isn't it a given that many - if not most - of the fans interested enough to own these WAC Blu-ray editions would want (are already buying) all of them?

Unrealistic? I dunno, I have all of the WAC Blu's to date. Am I alone in that?   

• ahollis likes this

#95 of 112 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,798 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 15 2014 - 08:01 PM

It's indeed a mystery how these things play out sometimes Allen...

Back to the topic at hand though, I wonder if WB would consider offering some kind of 'subscription' service for the WAC? Simply to guarantee several thousand units per title and justify a base run. Sort of like the 'book of the month club', only for Blu-ray. I mean, at this late date, isn't it a given that many - if not most - of the fans interested enough to own these WAC Blu-ray editions would want (are already buying) all of them?

Unrealistic? I dunno, I have all of the WAC Blu's to date. Am I alone in that?

I would one of the first subscribers. Great idea.

#96 of 112 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,707 posts

Posted March 15 2014 - 08:11 PM

Then I guess The Wayward Bus Wiki needs a citation for this statement Joe:

I found it.  If was a reply to a comment on their Facebook page I made 2 years ago.  Here's the full quote from the link

"When we requested it, we wondered if there might be problems (it was missing from both the JM and JC boxes), but it was granted without delay, so, go figure."

https://www.facebook...rd comment down

#97 of 112 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,630 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 07:47 PM

Back to the topic at hand though, I wonder if WB would consider offering some kind of 'subscription' service for the WAC? Simply to guarantee several thousand units per title and justify a base run. Sort of like the 'book of the month club', only for Blu-ray. I mean, at this late date, isn't it a given that many - if not most - of the fans interested enough to own these WAC Blu-ray editions would want (are already buying) all of them?

Unrealistic? I dunno, I have all of the WAC Blu's to date. Am I alone in that?

I'd get in on that. Kinda sounds like what Jack White is doing with his Third Man Records Vault membership. You pay a quarterly fee, they count up how many members they have, and press that many copies of a particular vinyl release - usually a combo of new Jack White music, older stuff from his other bands, and older music from lesser known artists long out of print. You don't always know what you're getting, but it's always a beautifully made package that just inspires you to try listening to something you might not know.

For $20 or so a month, I'd subscribe to a Blu-ray club like that. I mean, what's the worse case scenario? I'm out $20 on a movie I end up not liking, and can just try to sell it online? That doesn't sound so bad. These days, a ticket to a 2D movie in NYC is $14.50, so $20 for a blind buy disc that I can watch again and again seems more than a fair deal by comparison!

#98 of 112 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,141 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 10:52 PM

That was my thinking Josh. If the WAC already had a whack of Blu-rays, then perhaps picking and choosing might be preferable. But at this point, it is so light in titles that just about anything getting a release would find (is already finding) the same starved-for-product buyers. If a 'core customer subscription plan was in place, that *might* give the studio enough incentive to release...say...2 titles per month. Better than their current delivery pace... 

• Josh Steinberg likes this

#99 of 112 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,630 posts

Posted March 17 2014 - 05:55 PM

Throw some numbers on the spine and my inner collector won't be able to resist.

#100 of 112 ONLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 916 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted April 01 2014 - 03:24 AM

Doris Day is 90 years of age this week. Come on Warners what about an announcement of your intention to release some of her great legacy on blu-ray. I would like Calamity Jane (my wife's favourite) and Love Me or Leave Me (my favourite).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users