What's new

YOUNG MAVERICK / BRET MAVERICK (1 Viewer)

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I am starting this thread because there were postings about these shows under the MAVERICK thread currently up and running and I didn't want this to be the main subject there.

Am I alone in hoping that WB will release these two spin offs of the original MAVERICK series once the original series is wrapped up?

My BRET MAVERICK VHS tapes are pretty well worn at this point. And, not having a VCR when YM was on, I managed to secure a couple of episodes that were rerun on late night CBS tv years ago.

I would be happy with just the series release of each series but I would be really happy if WB would include the two fully produced but unaired episodes of YOUNG MAVERICK that CBS never aired.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
No. You are not alone.There be another.I have been hoping for the release of the Young/New Maverick series for years, including those episodes that were only shown once. Sigh!!! Susan Blanchard was so sweet looking and beautiful james

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
You are definitely not alone in your wish. Once Maverick is finished, I very much hope they release the two follow-up shows. And regarding Young Maverick, I'd be very surprised if the unaired episodes weren't included. Warner Brothers should have them and the ownership would be exactly the same as the aired episodes. Other shows in the same situation have had the unaired shows included in DVD releases, too.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
FanCollector, that is exactly what I am hoping for!

Where can we ask these question of WB?? Is there a message board? A Facebook page? And do they even respond to those types of questions??

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Forgot to mention, I really enjoyed he instrumental version of the maverick theme that was used on the New Maverick. It has a nice positive, energetic feel to it. Wish it was on CD. Why can't today 's composers write music like that.jamrs

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
bretmaverick2 said:
FanCollector, that is exactly what I am hoping for! Where can we ask these question of WB?? Is there a message board? A Facebook page? And do they even respond to those types of questions??
Warner Archive Collection has a Facebook page that they update frequently. They do take questions there and answer some but not all. Worth a try.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
CONFIRMED via the WB Archive page on Facebook. They plan to release BOTH Young Maverick and Bret Maverick following the last season of Maverick!!!!!

And it is a YES to including unaired episode(s) of YOUNG MAVERICK!! They did state that their records show only 1 unaired episode. But the book "Maverick, Legend Of The West" by Ed Robertson states their were two. So I responded and provided the titles of the two episodes listed as unaired in the book. Although the book could be incorrect on how far into production both episodes were so there may be only one.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
No problem, FanCollector.

The Maverick shows have long been THE shows that I wanted (along with original Dark Shadows). So I am way looking forward to getting these.

Also, I think my wife will be glad when I have them all so she won't have to keep hearing me complain about NOT having them!!! :)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I recorded Bret Maverick when it was shown on Encore Westerns, but for some reason one episode never made it into the rotation.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I think that episode was 'Welcome To Sweetwater', stated in the main thread on MAVERICK.

When I read that, I pulled out my tapes and rewatched that episode. Have no idea why it wasn't shown. Nothing objectionable in the episode.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
This is tremendously great news regarding these two series!!Just for the record, Wikipedia states there were "several" unaired episodes of "Young Maverick" but the source could be the same book referenced above. Speaking of that book, it's currently OOP although I just ordered a paperback edition of it via Amazon. Whoever owns the rights to it should -- at the very least -- consider making it available in ebook form for iPads and Kindles as everybody tells me it's a perfect viewing companion for all of the Maverick series and the movie.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
bretmaverick2 said:
I think that episode was 'Welcome To Sweetwater', stated in the main thread on MAVERICK.

When I read that, I pulled out my tapes and rewatched that episode. Have no idea why it wasn't shown. Nothing objectionable in the episode.
That was the one. The first time they aired the show I figured that I had just missed, but they went through the series several times and that one never showed up.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Honestly, I think that, based on what was in Robertson's book, the season 2 plans for BRET MAVERICK would have been extremely strong.

Bret back out on the road. Bart running the Red Ox with Kate Hanrahan. They seemed to plan on trimming the supporting cast as well. All good.

I always thought the supporting cast was way overloaded. I hadn't cared for the actress playing ML Springer in other roles and this was no different. I think a regular cast for season 1 of Bret, Tom, with one or two other regulars would have been plenty, with just recurring characters for the rest.

"Hallie" was an extremely fun episode. I had always wondered if the actress that played Samantha Crawford had been alive at that time, if she would have been invited back and the title of the show would have been "Samantha" rather than "Hallie".

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Recently rewatched two episodes of YOUNG MAVERICK on some rather poor quality VHS tapes that I have.

One thing that I believe didn't help this series was the actress that played Nell. In real life she was married to YM star Charles Frank. During this time this married couple often worked together but this time I think it was a misfire.

While they may 'click' wonderfully in real life, there was just no screen chemistry between them on this series.

As for Charles Frank, he was 'ok' as Ben Maverick. I think that had the show lasted long enough to actually film the episodes planned with Cousin Bart to bring back more of the 'real Maverick' feel, the show may have had a better shot. And of course, another guest appearance by Garner would have helped as well.

But I primarily think if they had cast Nell with a different actress and as a recurring character rather than a weekly character, it would have helped (although probably not have saved) the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks