What's new

Discouraged with release schedules? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys:

I'm kind of discouraged with the rate of releases for "older" television programs, such as the HB cartoons, certain westerns and short-lived programs.

Do any of you feel that way?

One program that I'm waiting on is Young/New Maverick starring Charles Frank with cameos by James Garner. I'm guessing that WB Archives will wait to put this serious out until after they have all the original Maverick series out, along with the new Bret Maverick series. But at the rate they're going (about one season a year), it'll be four years before the WB considers putting out this eight episode series.

I'm grateful that we got five HB series out this year, and the seventies Jackson series, but I'm really hoping for Sid and Marty Kroft's The Lost Saucer and Far Out Space Nuts. Just when will they come out?

I wish WB Archives would put out both one classic tv series and one animated program a week. By my calculations, they have enough material between HB, Ruby-Spears, and recent WB animation to do fifty releases, if not more.

I'm grateful for the news about When Things Were Rotten, and other WB Archives material, but it's so slow. . . . .

Again, I know this is a down economy, but do any of you wish that some of these studios could pick up the ball just a bit? Any others just a bit discouraged?

James

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
On the contrary, I'm rather encouraged with what's been happening lately. I never thought I'd see a complete Dobie Gillis box set. Hazel got put back on track after being stalled for quite a while. Some lost Jack Benny episodes are coming, Maverick Season Two came yesterday, I am close to completing Wagon Train and surprises like My Living Doll, I'm Dickens He's Fenster and Stanley keep popping up.

I frankly can't keep up with it all. Now, if they would only complete The Beverly Hillbiillies, Green Acres, Bob Newhart and finally move that Ozzie and Harriet project closer to retail release, I'd be in complete heaven.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
There's been a lot of great movement lately in the b&w field from companies like Timeless which is nice, I'm wondering though about Paramount's output in the MOD world, where we've seen very little output such as Becker or the 3rd season of Cannon with so many other titles still waiting. Barnaby Jones most prominently, but also much that's never been seen yet on disc like The Magician, Serpico and Petrocelli. We've had Streets of San Francisco and Vega$ end happily on standard DVD release, so who knows if some of these may turn up there after all. Apart from Warner and tiny drops from Columbia, it's been coming at a slower rate on MOD than most classic TV fans would like, but the year is still young and we may see things speed up sooner than later.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Overall, I agree with the thought that there have been a lot of nice classic shows being released of late thanks to Shout/Timeless, the Warner Archive and CBS. The pace had definitely seemed to slow down with the economic downturn, but definitely seems to have picked up again in the last few years. But there are still a few pockets of resistance, like the ones Henry mentioned (Cannon, Becker, Barnaby Jones). With several CBS/Paramount shows recently completed (Mannix, Streets of San Francisco, Matlock, Father Dowling, Have Gun Will Travel) and several others getting close (Perry Mason, Rawhide) I thought for sure CBS would have room for some of those stalled shows. When Cannon came out last year on MOD I hoped that CBS might compete the last 3 seasons via that route and that perhaps that meant other shows like Barnaby Jones could find new life via MOD. One of the things that I find encouraging is that CBS has apparently licensed the rights to Diagnosis Murder and Mod Squad to VEI, a company that has done a really nice job with shows like McMillan and Wife. So if CBS is abandoning things like Cannon, Becker and Barnaby Jones then I hope they might be willing to let someone else finish those shows up for them.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
CBS HE updated their cover photo on Facebook the other day and featured prominently was a photo of Barnaby Jones. Maybe? Just maybe? If they would finish off Barnaby and The Hillbillies, I'd be in Hog Heaven!!!!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I would love to see Barnaby Jones unstalled because the show holds the dubious distinction of having the least amount of its run represented on DVD of ANY TV show released on DVD with just half a season out of seven and a half seasons total.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I can't say that I'm discouraged, considering that in some circles, the demise of standard DVD, due to streaming or Blu-Ray, had been predicted by now.

We're still seeing B/W releases, "Have Gun Will Travel", "Restless Gun", "Perry Mason", and planned releases of "The Lone Ranger", and possibly a series release of "The Rifleman".

I'd like to see it continue and although compared to a few years ago, it's slowed down, there's still releases coming.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
JamesSmith said:
Dear Guys: I'm kind of discouraged with the rate of releases for "older" television programs, such as the HB cartoons, certain westerns and short-lived programs. Do any of you feel that way? One program that I'm waiting on is Young/New Maverick starring Charles Frank with cameos by James Garner. I'm guessing that WB Archives will wait to put this serious out until after they have all the original Maverick series out, along with the new Bret Maverick series. But at the rate they're going (about one season a year), it'll be four years before the WB considers putting out this eight episode series. I'm grateful that we got five HB series out this year, and the seventies Jackson series, but I'm really hoping for Sid and Marty Kroft's The Lost Saucer and Far Out Space Nuts. Just when will they come out? I wish WB Archives would put out both one classic tv series and one animated program a week. By my calculations, they have enough material between HB, Ruby-Spears, and recent WB animation to do fifty releases, if not more. I'm grateful for the news about When Things Were Rotten, and other WB Archives material, but it's so slow. . . . . Again, I know this is a down economy, but do any of you wish that some of these studios could pick up the ball just a bit? Any others just a bit discouraged? James
I like that the are releasing new HB releases every few weeks and promoting them very well. I'm pleased with the releases so far this year and they are being very quality conscience.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
I do think we tend to focus on what we're NOT getting as opposed to what we are. I'd begun to think we'd never see Dobie Gillis released and here we have it. Perhaps as MOD programs grow and streaming services get up and running, we'll see more. I discovered Bionic Woman streaming for free on Amazon since I'm a Prime Member and I've gotta tell ya, I'm hooked!!! I know it's on DVD and I'm sure I'll splurge for it eventually but I'm falling in love with streaming!!!

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Ron1973 said:
I do think we tend to focus on what we're NOT getting as opposed to what we are. I'd begun to think we'd never see Dobie Gillis released and here we have it. Perhaps as MOD programs grow and streaming services get up and running, we'll see more. I discovered Bionic Woman streaming for free on Amazon since I'm a Prime Member and I've gotta tell ya, I'm hooked!!! I know it's on DVD and I'm sure I'll splurge for it eventually but I'm falling in love with streaming!!!
The only problem with streaming for folks like me is that I dont own the stream. I do my digital copies and discs. With streaming, whats there today may be gone tomorrow due to rights expiring. Ive been in the middle of several series only to realize that I cannot watch the last episodes cause they have been yanked out from under me.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Towergrove said:
The only problem with streaming for folks like me is that I dont own the stream. I do my digital copies and discs. With streaming, whats there today may be gone tomorrow due to rights expiring. Ive been in the middle of several series only to realize that I cannot watch the last episodes cause they have been yanked out from under me.
I second you Towergrove.

I'd rather have a physical copy for all the reasons you said. Once I purchase a set, it cannot be taken from me.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Regulus said:
I second you Towergrove.

I'd rather have a physical copy for all the reasons you said. Once I purchase a set, it cannot be taken from me.
And I understand that opinion. I would rather have physical copies (or even saved to my hard drive if need be) but when you're on a limited budget (unemployment doesn't go TOO far....lol) that free streaming sure is nice! :P

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Lots of CBS shows have received DVD releases over the last year or so....except for the one I want: Love Boat

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
derosa said:
Lots of CBS shows have received DVD releases over the last year or so....except for the one I want: Love Boat
w7273l.jpg

I hope [font="'Times New Roman';font-size:10pt"]♪[/font][font="Arial;font-size:10pt"]♫[/font] the Love Boat soon will be making another run.... [font="'Times New Roman';font-size:10pt"]♪[/font][font="Arial;font-size:10pt"]♫ [/font]
23sydcz.jpg

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Overall i think we are progressing quite well. Now i admit we've got some pockets that could use some more delving into but given the ammount we are getting, i think it's mostly a good perspective. Now we all are going to have our own bias, unless any of us are trying to collect everything ever produced, if so good luck to you XD.

With the things i collect i'm feeling pretty confident and happy with the releases. I think there's naturally some room for improvement here or there, but overall i'd say the good times are rolling.

But if we keep rolling as is there is certainly hope we can crack some of those pockets. SInce the MOD is a huge boon to direct profits, and now streaming is an added source of revenue, we can hope that WB is going to at least be putting some of it to good use.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Warner Brothers has done a nice job with the Linda Lavin series "ALICE" on the MOD program. They have released the first 3 seasons within a year period.....just want one more (the 4th season, which is the last of the "Flo" years). I just wish Warner Brothers would finish releasing the rest of the seasons of two of my favorite shows: "KNOTS LANDING" and "THE DREW CAREY SHOW". I kinda just wish they would just release the whole entire series at once for both shows. But I realize the "music rights" issue is holding these two series from being released (which sucks!!!).

Also one last series that I have been waiting forever for is, of course, like everyone else who likes classic t.v., the 1966 "BATMAN". Again, not so much for "music rights" issues.....but whole mess of "rights" issues. We'll all be dead before this one ever gets released (despite the rumours that it might happen soon!)

Also, some other notably mentions that have either been stalled or never released: "ONE DAY AT A TIME", "PHYLLIS", "ANGIE" and the very last season of "RHODA"!!!!

Other than that, I am very happy with my collection of classic shows I already own. And enjoy watching them on a regular basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks