What's new

GOMER PYLE, USMC - The Complete Series (Coming to Blu-Ray on February 13, 2024) (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The above link just connects me with Amazon, Howie.
Yes - but the referral portion doesn't look like one from HTF and it's a "tiny url" format which obfuscates the true URL (normally won't click on those as you never know just where they'll take you). While it *does* take you to Amazon, the referral portion of the final link appears to be from another site.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Amazon has delivered my copy of the blu rays. The good news is that each season is in its own packaging. None of that nonsense like paramount did with Star Trek TNG. That’s a plus

Attachments

• IMG_0091.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0090.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0089.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Looks like Paramount didn’t pay up for the Music rights as originally suspected. The final scene of Gomer untrains a dog is cut. I’d guess that was done in other episodes as well just like the DVD version. That’s disappointing

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Looks like Paramount didn’t pay up for the Music rights as originally suspected. The final scene of Gomer untrains a dog is cut. I’d guess that was done in other episodes as well just like the DVD version. That’s disappointing
I'm not sure who was suspecting that? I think most assumed it would be based on the same HD transfers used for the DVDs, meaning the same cuts.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Amazon has delivered my copy of the blu rays
Thanks for posting the pictures of the set. I noticed that the back indicates "Audio commentary on select episode". Which episode is it? The DVD set had one for TAGS pilot and the first series episode by Nabors and Ronnie Schell on Gomer and the Dragon Lady. I hope it is just an error and all three are intact.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I'm trying to find an episode, but my memory isn't what it used to be. It's the one where they're on maneuvers, they have to destroy a small, short bridge, and Gomer removes all the nails so it collapses if someone tries to walk across it. Am I misremembering or was that in an episode? If so, which one? Thanks.

Last edited:

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Thanks for posting the pictures of the set. I noticed that the back indicates "Audio commentary on select episode". Which episode is it? The DVD set had one for TAGS pilot and the first series episode by Nabors and Ronnie Schell on Gomer and the Dragon Lady. I hope it is just an error and all three are intact.
I am ripping the episodes. As far as I can tell, there is no commentary on Gomer Runs the Obstacle Course but the commentary does appear to be there for The Dragon Lady. I guess I will just have to port my commentary over from the DVD. I always double check everything but those are my initial findings on discs 1 and 2 of season one. It says "special feature" at the bottom of disc 1 and 2 so it's possible my system is not showing it on disc 1.

Edit: I found the special features on disc one, season one. It's a neat Jim Nabor's intro and outro to the Andy Griffith fourth season spinoff episode. If it's on the DVD I do not remember it. Maybe someone can confirm if it's unique to this set.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Gomer Pyle was recently aired as a weekend binge on Decades TV twice and it was great to re-see the black and white episodes. I had not seen them in ages and they have a charm to them. I’d considered adding this series to my collection then. But now that’s on blu ray, it’s very tempting!

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I have had a grand time watching my favorite Gomer episodes again in HD, episodes I hadn't seen in years and never in this wonderful image quality.

Here are my ten favorite, in airing order. You can't go wrong with any of these.

104 Captain Iron Pants
107 Survival of the Fattest
127 The Jet Set
215 Gomer Pyle, P.O.W.
314 Wither The Weather
317 The Secret Life of Gomer Pyle
503 The Booty Prize
509 Come Blow Your Top
521 Gomer Maneuvers
528 Showtime with Sgt Carol

Obviously I left out a number of exceptional episodes. Gomer untraining a dog, Gomer singing in Washington. I was never a fan of the Lou Ann or Mrs. Bunny episodes. I never watch the Fast Freddie episodes either. That said, this show delivers more and bigger laughs for me the The Andy Griffith Show, and I have more favorites.

I ripped the series to a hard drive and put my top 50 episodes (1/3 of the series) in a separate folder because they are the only ones I ever watch. These are fantastic episodes I need to watch more often.
Gomer Pyle Favorites (HD) 2_14_2024 2_51_43 AM.png

Also, I can finally see that those are clipboards in the background in the duty hut. As a young kid growing up with bomb shelter symbols at school and in public I thought those crossed swords were skull and crossbones for poisonous gas or something to be released on the battlefield. When the DVDs came out I could see they were something else, but couldn't tell what. Boxes for storing helmets maybe. Now I see they are clipboards and can even read what is on them! Loving this set despite its occasional truncated episodes.

Movies & TV 2_14_2024 2_24_32 AM.png

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I have had a grand time watching my favorite Gomer episodes again in HD, episodes I hadn't seen in years and never in this wonderful image quality.

Here are my ten favorite, in airing order. You can't go wrong with any of these.

104 Captain Iron Pants
127 The Jet Set
215 Gomer Pyle, P.O.W.
314 Wither The Weather
503 The Booty Prize
509 Come Blow Your Top
521 Gomer Maneuvers
528 Showtime with Sgt Carol

Obviously I left out a number of exceptional episodes. Gomer untraining a dog, Gomer singing in Washington. I was never a fan of the Lou Ann or Mrs. Bunny episodes. I never watch the Fast Freddie episodes either. That said, this show delivers more and bigger laughs for me the The Andy Griffith Show, and I have more favorites.

I ripped the series to a hard drive and put my top 50 episodes (1/3 of the series) in a separate folder because they are the only ones I ever watch. These are fantastic episodes I need to watch more often.
View attachment 213019
Also, I can finally see that those are clipboards in the background in the duty hut. As a young kid growing up with bomb shelter symbols at school and in public I thought those crossed swords were skull and crossbones for poisonous gas or something to be released on the battlefield. When the DVDs came out I could see they were something else, but couldn't tell what. Boxes for storing helmets maybe. Now I see they are clipboards and can even read what is on them! Loving this set despite its occasional truncated episodes.

View attachment 213020
"Come Blow Your Top" is my all-time favorite episode of Gomer. Frank Sutton is hilarious.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Opps, I did it again. On the heels of The Odd Couple with all the music cuts, I couldn’t resist this Gomer Pyle release.

View attachment 213682
I'm enjoying the heck out of it. I'd say no more than 5-10% of the episodes are cut. I'm trying to enjoy what's there and not focus on what isn't. After rewatching all 50 of my favorites I've decided my all-time top favorite five episodes are:

127 The Jet Set
503 The Booty Prize
509 Come Blow Your Top

So glad to have all these gems in HD.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm enjoying the heck out of it. I'd say no more than 5-10% of the episodes are cut. I'm trying to enjoy what's there and not focus on what isn't. After rewatching all 50 of my favorites I've decided my all-time top favorite five episodes are:

127 The Jet Set
503 The Booty Prize
509 Come Blow Your Top

So glad to have all these gems in HD.
I don’t know the series as well as you do. I remember watching it as a kid on daily syndication. And I liked the episodes I saw recently on DecadesTV. So I look forward to watching the series in rotation with other series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks