Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Pacific Rim: THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 of 37 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,029 posts

Posted October 09 2013 - 02:13 AM

Posted Image

[color=rgb(0,0,255);]What can I say?  I love 3D!  From the moment I began watching 3D content in my home I quickly discovered that I needed more content.  I suspect that those of you just purchasing your first 3D hardware will acquire the same ferocious appetite.  That's why I became the HTF 3D ADDICT.  I personally love images that pop off the screen and come inches away from your face without becoming overly gimmicky.  However, I certainly appreciate the nature documentaries that offer beautiful depth and separation.  These are not necessarily reviews of the film themselves.  I am not going to concentrate on story or supplements -- you can find the 2D reviews elsewhere on this forum.  My job is to let you know exactly what kind of 3D experience to expect from the titles that are being released.   As I will be receiving a handful of new product from the studios expect to see more title coverage.[/color]

Posted Image

Pacific Rim

Studio: Warner Bros.

Product Release: October 15, 2013

Ratio: 1.85:1

Audio: DTS-HD Master English 7.1; 5.1 Dolby Digital English and French
Running Time: 131 minutes

Rating: PG-13

Posted Image

[color=rgb(0,0,205);]On A Scale 0-5[/color]

Overall 3D Presentation Rating: 5

3D Separation: 5

3D In Yo' Face Factor: 5

"Today we are canceling the Apocalypse!"

I begin writing this review with a pit in my stomach knowing that I am about

to show a bit of disappointment towards a film that many members of this forum

having been speaking quite highly of. While I realize Pacific Rim was one of the

most popular box-office films of the year, I can't help but feel that its success was

based on the legion of young viewers who packed theaters, satisfying their yearn

for CGI-laden mindless entertainment.  Not that it's a bad thing -- for it's exactly

what what director Guillermo del Toro intended and delivers for the film's entire

133 minute running length.

Yet, oddly, sitting through this noisy and complicated film, I couldn't help but be

mesmerized by the visual overload of high-tech eye candy, beautifully enhanced

by some of the best 3D I have seen to date.  Popcorn flicks don't get any bigger

than this. 

Posted Image

At its heart, Pacific Rim is a nod to the popular Japanese monster movies of the 

1960s.  The monsters of this film are the "Kaiju," enormous creatures who have come

through a dimensional rift at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. Their aim is to colonize

Earth and claim it their own. With the end of the world clearly upon mankind, the only

means of combatting the invasion is with the use of Jaegers, colossal robots that are

manned by two human pilots who share a neuro bridge (known as a "drift").  The heroes

of our story, Raleigh Becket (Charlie Hunnam) and a Japanese woman named Mako

(Rinko Kikuchi) are the last best qualified Jaeger pilots to take on the Kaiju.  However,

both have enough emotional baggage that make for a dangerous neural drift.  Can these

pilots overcome their inner fears, combine forces and save mankind?  Do I really need

to answer that question?

Watching this film on the home screen you can immediately tell that it was shot entirely

within the digital realm.  Though it retains a video quality look, it's a flawless presentation

that offers the ultimate clarity and detail without a hint of background grain or noise.  Colors

are neon-rich and vibrant while offering concrete black levels.  

Posted Image

What I was amazed to find, after my viewing this afternoon, is that Guillermo del Toro

never intended Pacific Rim to be a 3D film.  It was actually Warner Bros. who decided

to upconvert the film months after its production. I mention that I was amazed simply 

because it was difficult for me to tell whether this was shot natively in 3D or not. This

is certainly one of the most outstanding upconversions I have ever seen which is obviously

attributed towards the studio putting 50 long weeks of effort into making sure it was done

correctly.  The level of depth that is conveyed in this film is enormous and seemingly infinite.  

I don't think I have ever quite seen this level of depth used before in a film of this kind. Cities

and their skyscrapers look massive in scope.  There's a moment in the middle of the film

where a Kaigu and Jaeger are battling each other in the middle of Tokyo, as a tiny helicopter

comes into view.  The perspective in size difference is just amazing to see.  Ghosting is

only mildly evident in a few shots, but overall, mostly unnoticeable.

What audiences will really enjoy is the level of added element effects that really stand

out in 3D. Falling snow, pounding rain and flying debris are constantly thrown to the front

of the viewing area.  Despite this being a conversion, there are many times that those

elements seem as if they are happening outside and in front of the viewing window.  All

of this looks pretty spectacular at times.  I would go on record to say that this post 

conversion just about rivals the work that was recently accomplished on Titanic.  This

is one conversion that is demo worthy for showing off to your family and friends. Hopefully

this will be the Blu-ray that puts all the upconversion haters to rest.

I rated this film a perfect "5" across the board just for pure 3D entertainment value.  That

really says something remarkable about the work that went into this upconversion.

Posted Image

The film's 7.1 DTS-MA soundtrack (downconverted to 5.1 on my system) is equally 

satisfying as well.   I can only describe the experience as overly noisy, yet all its sonics

are perfectly distributed across the individual channels with none of the dialogue getting

drowned out.  The rear channels come heavily into play providing all the backdrop to 

the constant level of chaos that exists on the screen:  the roar of jet fighters, helicopters

flying overhead and debris flying from all directions.  LFE activity is completely off the

charts as it accents every footprint of the colossal creatures -- not to mention the destruction

in their wake.  It's pounding and roaring at the silliest levels that will have every speaker

in your room bursting with mind-blowing sonics.  

Posted Image

Pacific Rim arrives as a 4-Disc set (Blu-ray 3D, 2D Blu-ray, DVD and Digital HD Ultraviolet,

Special Features DVD) in a lenticular cardboard sleeving.  All discs are double-stacked upon

another. There seems to be a good handful of extras that include audio commentary by

Guillermo del Toro, a directors notebook, deleted scenes and a blooper reel.  Additionally,

you'll find features on the digital artistry of the film, Drift Space and The Shatterdome.  

[color=rgb(139,69,19);]CONCLUSION[/color]

Posted Image

Make no mistake about it, Pacific Rim breaks many new visual barriers for science

fiction/fantasy film.  It's gigantically enormous in scale and seamlessly combines

green-screen and CGI and live action. Despite my lack of tolerance for these kind

of films, I must admit, once I got past the bad acting, persistent cliches, and the feeling

that I was watching one big video game -- I actually thought this was one of the best

popcorn films ever made.  I also feel this ranks as the best unconverted film since

Titanic , making it an ever-so-perfect 3D home experience that is demo worthy.

If mindless entertainment is your thing, this is one 3D Blu-ray that should be at the

top of your list.

[color=rgb(128,0,0);]Images are for illustrative purpose only not representative of the picture quality of this disc. [/color]

[color=rgb(24,24,24);font-family:verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;]Equipment[/color]

LG 60PX950 THX Certified 3D display
Oppo BDP-93 3D Blu-ray Player

Denon 3311CI Receiver

Atlantic Technology H-PAS AT-1 fronts, 4400 center; 4200 rear speakers

SV Sound Subwoofer

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 37 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,027 posts

Posted October 09 2013 - 08:37 AM

I saw the 2d version in the theatre. I liked it alot. I never had a chance to see it in 3d. glad to hear that the 3d was good.

by chance have you seen gravity? talk about excellent 3d.. that will blow your mind.. it even has alot of pop out that you like.

I know that your high rating is 5 for the differnt 3d stuff. gravity is a 10 across the board.

Jacob

#3 of 37 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,108 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted October 09 2013 - 10:39 AM

Sounds like one that I'll have to check out.

I've nothing against a well done 3D conversion. I've seen many that, had I not known beforehand, would have sworn that they were filmed in real 3D.

#4 of 37 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,656 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 09 2013 - 10:40 AM

I begin writing this review with a pit in my stomach knowing that I am about to show a bit of disappointment towards a film that many members of this forum having been speaking quite highly of.

I actually thought this was one of the best popcorn films ever made.

If that's disappointment. . . :D

I saw this in IMAX 3D. Aside from the visuals, it didn't blow me away, but it was definitely entertaining.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#5 of 37 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,029 posts

Posted October 09 2013 - 10:54 AM

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]If that's disappointment. . . [/color] :D

Definitely a love/hate relationship.

Beautiful film to look at.  Just would not be able to sit through this a second time.

...but it certainly stands among the best 3D titles of the year.

by chance have you seen gravity? talk about excellent 3d.. that will blow your mind.. it even has alot of pop out that you like.

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]Just was talking with friends over lunch about this film after they saw it who said[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]pretty much the same thing.  I will probably wait for the Blu-ray.[/color]

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#6 of 37 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,103 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted October 09 2013 - 11:59 AM

As a del Toro film, this is a day one buy for me. Glad to hear the 3D is solid.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#7 of 37 OFFLINE   theonemacduff

theonemacduff

Second Unit

• 334 posts
  • Locationthe wet coast

Posted October 10 2013 - 09:22 PM

I'm wondering about the "conversion." In an interview on CBC Radio (the program is called "Q"), del Toro said something just slightly different, to wit, that he had not wanted to shoot in 3D to begin with because the size of the robots and monsters would mean that there would be difficult convergence issues to solve, but that the studio convinced him that 3D was a good idea; and that he had spent a lot of time solving those convergence issues before going ahead with the 3D. Now whether that means that they convinced him to shoot in 3D, or whether they convinced him to convert to 3D, isn't clear to me -- and of course, memory is never the most reliable of human capabilities, at least in my case. But I got the distinct impression, when listening to the interview, that it was the former: that the film was actually shot in 3D. 

#8 of 37 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,029 posts

Posted October 11 2013 - 01:45 AM

But I got the distinct impression, when listening to the interview, that it was the former: that the film was actually shot in 3D. 

From everything I have read prior to writing the review it was upconverted.

...but I am always open to other facts coming forward.

Ronald J Epstein

#9 of 37 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,439 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted October 11 2013 - 05:14 AM

From everything I have read prior to writing the review it was upconverted.

...but I am always open to other facts coming forward.

It was upconverted.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#10 of 37 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted October 11 2013 - 09:03 AM

Definitely picking this up next week!!

#11 of 37 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,633 posts

Posted October 11 2013 - 08:52 PM

Ron, not to hijack the Pacific Rim thread, but regarding your comment about waiting for the Blu-ray of Gravity, I'd strongly recommend, if you are able, viewing it in the theater. And thanks for the review of Pacific Rim.

#12 of 37 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,780 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted October 11 2013 - 10:26 PM

Ron

You MUST see Gravity in a thater..MUST.

You will thank us later.

IMAX 3D if possible 

And i agee with your assessment of Pacific RIM....fun but disappointing

It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#13 of 37 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,366 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 11 2013 - 10:31 PM

Definitely a love/hate relationship.

Beautiful film to look at.  Just would not be able to sit through this a second time.

...but it certainly stands among the best 3D titles of the year.

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]Just was talking with friends over lunch about this film after they saw it who said[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]pretty much the same thing.  I will probably wait for the Blu-ray.[/color]

Ronbo,

IMO, you need to see that film in an IMAX theater.  It is probably the best film I've seen in a few years and is one of the most visual films I've seen in my entire life.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#14 of 37 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,108 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted October 11 2013 - 10:54 PM

And i agee with your assessment of Pacific RIM....fun but disappointing

It sounds like Godzilla vs Gigantor! :D

#15 of 37 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,523 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted October 11 2013 - 11:33 PM

Ron

You MUST see Gravity in a thater..MUST.

You will thank us later.

IMAX 3D if possible 

Ron, I agree with Tino and everyone else that has commented on this (check out the review thread in the Movies section as well). If you only see one movie in a theater for the rest of the year (hell, the rest of your life), it HAS to be Gravity. It's the kind of aural-visual experience that comes along just once in a generation. IMAX 3D of course. Biggest damn screen you can get yourself to. 

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.
* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.
* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#16 of 37 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,780 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted October 11 2013 - 11:45 PM

Ron said

While I realize Pacific Rim was one of themost popular box-office films of the year

Actually Ron, Pacific Rim was a box-office disappointment , especially here in the U.S. With a production budget of close to $200 million, it barely made it to $100 million domestically. Overseas It did better with $300 million for a total worldwide of a bit over $400 million. If we accept the 3x rule , it's $200 million in the red. I'll still be picking It up on Tuesday as like you said its mindless entertainment.

#17 of 37 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 979 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted October 12 2013 - 09:47 AM

Was the AR compromised in the IMAX presentation? I saw Gravity in an XD 3D Dolby Atmos flawless 2.35:1 presentation. It must be seen on a big screen. Follow all the other posters' advice.

#18 of 37 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,780 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted October 12 2013 - 10:01 AM

Was the AR compromised in the IMAX presentation? I saw Gravity in an XD 3D Dolby Atmos flawless 2.35:1 presentation. It must be seen on a big screen. Follow all the other posters' advice.

Gravity was 2.35 in IMAX. Back to Pacific Rim..something tells me I will enjoy it more at home than I did in the theater. Hope so.

#19 of 37 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,255 posts

Posted October 12 2013 - 10:49 AM

"...it's $200 million in the red."You mean loss? C'mon. You need to provide some serious facts with this one.

#20 of 37 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,780 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted October 12 2013 - 12:43 PM

"...it's $200 million in the red."You mean loss? C'mon. You need to provide some serious facts with this one.

I just did. Like I said, if a film needs to recoup 3x it's production cost to break even, then Pacific Rim currently is at a $200 million loss. I'm sure it will recoup a lot with ancillary sales but it will still struggle to break even.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users