What's new

3D Blu-ray Review Pacific Rim: THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
RolandL said:
As that article states, the live action was shot in 2D, but the CGI was rendered in native 3D, so I guess it's kind of a hybrid.

I loved this film. I think one reason was that there was no baggage to it. There was no "Oh no; they screwed up Superman!" or "Hey, this is not Star Trek!" It was obviously inspired by specific things, but the mix was unique.

And there was some genuine wit throughout, and the human characters, while archetypal and not particularly three-dimensional, were not annoying (like those in, say, the Transformers movies). Even the two scientists grew on me after a while.

I also appreciated the brief nod to Ray Harryhausen and Ishiro Honda at the very end.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
My only real beef with this film is that the monsters are thoroughly uninspired and unmemorable, which you can't say about most monsters in Toho's Godzilla series. Also, I didn't think the 3-D was that great in the theater.

As for GRAVITY, I just saw that today, and it blew me away, even in 2-D. In 3-D it probably would have given me a heart attack, and I ain't exaggeratin'. I might have to chance it and see it again IMAX style.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Bryan Tuck said:
I also appreciated the brief nod to Ray Harryhausen and Ishiro Honda at the very end.
Remind me what that was. I either have forgotten or didn't catch it.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Johnny Angell said:
Remind me what that was. I either have forgotten or didn't catch it.
It was just a dedication card at the end of the end credits. Nothing huge, but nice that it was included.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Ive not seen this movie but reviews have been so amazing that I will be picking this up tomorrow on 3D blu ray. Very unusual I buy anything at full retail (especially media).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Very brave of you buying this film blind. Caveat Emptor. ;)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Type A said:
Ive not seen this movie but reviews have been so amazing that I will be picking this up tomorrow on 3D blu ray. Very unusual I buy anything at full retail (especially media).
I think a lot of the comments here have been less than amazing. Many have said it's a fun, popcorn movie. Some have been disappointed by the lack of depth to the characters. I have to agree with both these comments. I also think this movie is not worth paying the $30 or more that is currently being charged. When it hits $20, I'll think about it.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Johnny Angell said:
I think a lot of the comments here have been less than amazing. Many have said it's a fun, popcorn movie. Some have been disappointed by the lack of depth to the characters. I have to agree with both these comments. I also think this movie is not worth paying the $30 or more that is currently being charged. When it hits $20, I'll think about it.
I dont think any movie is worth $30, its almost like Im allergic to retail prices. But this one tempted me, based on the various reviews Ive read, more than any other new release in recently memory. As much as I wanted I just couldnt pull the trigger and instead stopped at my local pawn shop, there I purchased the four-disk 3D blu ray set of The Avengers for $4.95, never seen it. I felt weak and I felt dirty but in the end I felt satisfied and vindicated that Ive added another good title to my small 3D collection. Eventually Ill own Pacific Rim 3D but only when I can find it at a price that doesnt make me break out in hives.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Johnny Angell said:
The Avengers is a better movie, IMHO, than PR. You got a DEAL.
AgreedJust started watching in 3D and it looks great. Hoping to like it better than I did when I saw in theater.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Yes Ron, I concur - See Gravity in the theater - in 3D with Atmos sound.I go to the theater maybe once or twice a year these days - and this one was WELL worth it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just finished watching it. The 3D is better than I remember in the theater and those who love pop out 3D should love this one. Technically it's excellent. Unfortunately I didn't like it any better at home. I might even like it less. I had the same problems I had when I saw it in the theater. I didn't like the actress who played Mako. She gave the weakest performance in the film. Also it was difficult to make out what was going on in the action scenes as they were always in the dark, rain, or underwater. The plot was full of generic cliches and to me was very predictable. I really disliked the "goofiness" of it and wish it were more serious. The two scientists there for comic relief were really annoying and I pretty much disliked all the Ron Perlman scenes. Plus I still couldn't tell the lead actor and the guy who played the son apart. They look like twins.But I did like the effects which were very impressive and the sound design too. Loved Idris Elba and the little girl who played Mako as a child. She was great. I would rate the film **1/2 out of ****I like the film enough to own it and the 3D presentation is great, I just wished it were a better filmOh well, I know I'm in the minority here. To those of you that loved it, this bluray is a must buy. Enjoy

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Johnny Angell said:
The Avengers is a better movie, IMHO, than PR. You got a DEAL.
Yeah, but PR looked a heck of a lot better, for me. It was a feast for the eyes. It is a movie, though, I feel like you need to see on the big screen because it will lose its impact at home...no matter what size screen.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
We finally got to do Movie Night tonight, Pacific Rim in the basement theater. Absolutely floored at how well my system compared to the IMAX experience. The Hsu sub is bone rattling when calibrated right, the synth rock soundtrack just pounded along with the robots for s hours. My roommate said he actually felt beat up after the movie

Even better was the 3D. With good quality glasses and the picture from the PJ to the 120" screen, I thought it looked -almost- as good as the 4k theater projection but that the 3D effect was even better. Even more impressive because it's not native filmed 3D

Completely bonkers, I've got new demo material for sure.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I wholeheartedly agree Ron. In my opinion, Pacific Rim is a perfect storm of display-filling aspect ratio, cinematography, special effects, glorious 3D, and Guillermo del Toro. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks