Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

4K price war starting?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

• 2,086 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted August 27 2013 - 07:50 PM

You can finally get a 4K TV from a major brand for $4K.

According to TWICE, Samsung has matched Sony's reduced pricing of its 55- and 65-inch 4K Ultra High-definition-resolution televisions by $1,000 and $1,500 respectively.

The new price of the 55-inch Samsung UN55F9000 is $4,999, while the 65-inch UN65F9000 is $5,999. Both TVs just started shipping in early August.

Samsung's price cut was probably a reaction to Sony's price reductions. As first reported by HD Guru, the new price for the 55-inch Sony XBR-55X900A is $3,998 and the 65-inch XBR-65X900A $5,498. Both are still $500 less than Samsung's 4K TVs. Sony has been shipping them since April. It's not clear what features make up the $500 delta.

HD Guru adds that lower-cost 55- and 65-inch Sony 4K TVs will be released in October.

Anyone stepping up with these lower prices?  I think I will wait for OLED...

Kevin Collins
To View My HD Collection Click Here

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,069 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted August 28 2013 - 06:03 AM

No, there still is no content.

Give me a shout when there's a $4k projector with a feature set to beat the 5020 for under $4k, but only if there is widespread availability of films in the format to match.

• Stephen_J_H and FoxyMulder like this

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,294 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted August 28 2013 - 04:13 PM

I can haz 4k projector?

Agree completely with Sam. There's no content. And if I look to the future of Netflix and other online content, we might get more pixels, but is net quality really going up with 4k vs 1080p? And I've not heard that videogame consoles support 4k for games.

If I were shopping for a new TV, this would be tempting. But as an upgrade for my Kuro, no appeal yet.
  • Stephen_J_H likes this

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted August 29 2013 - 11:47 AM

I can haz 4k projector?

Only if U haz a kitteh. :D

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users