4K price war starting?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kevin Collins, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins Owner, from The Other Washington
    Owner

Kevin Collins
    You can finally get a 4K TV from a major brand for $4K.

According to TWICE, Samsung has matched Sony's reduced pricing of its 55- and 65-inch 4K Ultra High-definition-resolution televisions by $1,000 and $1,500 respectively.

The new price of the 55-inch Samsung UN55F9000 is $4,999, while the 65-inch UN65F9000 is $5,999. Both TVs just started shipping in early August.

Samsung's price cut was probably a reaction to Sony's price reductions. As first reported by HD Guru, the new price for the 55-inch Sony XBR-55X900A is $3,998 and the 65-inch XBR-65X900A $5,498. Both are still $500 less than Samsung's 4K TVs. Sony has been shipping them since April. It's not clear what features make up the $500 delta.

HD Guru adds that lower-cost 55- and 65-inch Sony 4K TVs will be released in October.

Anyone stepping up with these lower prices? I think I will wait for OLED...

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    No, there still is no content.

Give me a shout when there's a $4k projector with a feature set to beat the 5020 for under $4k, but only if there is widespread availability of films in the format to match.

Stephen_J_H and FoxyMulder like this.
  3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I can haz 4k projector?Agree completely with Sam. There's no content. And if I look to the future of Netflix and other online content, we might get more pixels, but is net quality really going up with 4k vs 1080p? And I've not heard that videogame consoles support 4k for games. If I were shopping for a new TV, this would be tempting. But as an upgrade for my Kuro, no appeal yet.

Stephen_J_H likes this.
  4. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Only if U haz a kitteh. :D