Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Any date yet for June Criterion sale at B&N?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   rob kilbride

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor

• 711 posts

Posted June 23 2013 - 07:21 PM

It's that time of year again and I can't wait! Especially for The Man Who Knew Too Much and Monsieur Verdoux.

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   rob kilbride

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor

• 711 posts

Posted June 23 2013 - 07:21 PM

Barnes and Noble, that is.

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,269 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted June 23 2013 - 07:22 PM

It's been in JULY (and November) the last few years.

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,069 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 23 2013 - 07:53 PM

Barnes and Noble 50% Criterion Sale is slated to start 7/9  according to early leaked reports from employees.

Historically it's been a 3 week sale.

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,674 posts

Posted June 23 2013 - 08:25 PM

I think it was last year that there was a couple hour overlap with their prior buy-2-get-one sale (due to the time-zone differences).   Which ended up being making it a 66% off sale.   They probably won't let that happen again.

However, if you can't wait until July, most of the titles are still 50% off at Amazon.

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,069 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 23 2013 - 09:22 PM

I think it was last year that there was a couple hour overlap with their prior buy-2-get-one sale (due to the time-zone differences).   Which ended up being making it a 66% off sale.   They probably won't let that happen again.

However, if you can't wait until July, most of the titles are still 50% off at Amazon.

Many of the Amazon's and BBY have already returned to normal prices.    With BN sale, you also can get the 10% instore member discounts, and often 15-20% extra with coupons when they are available so getting the usual $40 for less than 15 each is fairly predictable and with a little luck $13-14 isn't unheard of.    If you stocked up on the 40% off Save-A-Lot Gift cards a couple weeks ago then the deals amplify tremendously -- I'm psyched about potentially getting the $100 Shoah set for a net $22

I'd say very unlikely that the overlap sale will happen again -- it was blocked the 3 previous years so last year was a fluke.    There is also some different language in the B2G1 deal this year that states the sale will end Midnight Eastern time this year instead of the standard 2:59am EDT.   Not that I won't be staying awake late that night just in case.

Edited by David Norman, June 23 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,269 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 08 2013 - 03:03 PM

Hey -- anyone know for sure if this is on for tomorrow?

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   rob kilbride

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor

• 711 posts

Posted July 08 2013 - 08:23 PM

It appears the 50% sale will indeed be happening tomorrow.  The 50% sale is being advertised online but as of yet the prices have not gone down.  I'm guessing they will wait till 3 AM Eastern to avoid the doubling up on sales that happened last year. :(

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,069 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 08 2013 - 08:48 PM

It appears the 50% sale will indeed be happening tomorrow.  The 50% sale is being advertised online but as of yet the prices have not gone down.  I'm guessing they will wait till 3 AM Eastern to avoid the doubling up on sales that happened last year. :(

Even better (for them), when they said the B2G1 was ending at 11:59pm Eastern  they kidding -- they had it timed to the minute it seems and now a little delay in changing pricing online though that didn't really happen until closer to 1am most sales anyway.

Edited by David Norman, July 08 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,269 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 08 2013 - 09:12 PM

I do this buying in-store and am delighted just to hear the day has arrived. Taking my first pass at it tomorrow.

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted July 08 2013 - 10:33 PM

I have Box Sets on hold at 4 different BNs to get tomorrow.

Let the bleeding of my treasury begin!!!
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,269 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 09 2013 - 06:12 AM

Got a question.  I'm printing out the usual $5 off $50 and $8 off, etc., from the usual web page, and I'm reading this:

"This coupon may be used once...for each new, valid and current Barnes & Noble Membership purchased between April 22, 2013 and June 26, 2013.  Offer is not valid for renewal Memberships..."

I recently tried to use one of these (during that time period, as it happens) and the person in the store told me I couldn't use it because it was only for use when buying/renewing a membership.  But I've always used these coupons, at any time of year.  Is this something new?  Is that person interpreting the wording correctly?  If so, then these coupons are suddenly no good to me at all -- until October when my membership comes up for renewal.

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts

Posted July 09 2013 - 08:11 AM

That's always the way the coupons were. We've been getting away with using them.i believe there are some hat have August dates out ther now.

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,069 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 09 2013 - 09:16 AM

Got a question.  I'm printing out the usual $5 off $50 and $8 off, etc., from the usual web page, and I'm reading this:

"This coupon may be used once...for each new, valid and current Barnes & Noble Membership purchased between April 22, 2013 and June 26, 2013.  Offer is not valid for renewal Memberships..."

I recently tried to use one of these (during that time period, as it happens) and the person in the store told me I couldn't use it because it was only for use when buying/renewing a membership.  But I've always used these coupons, at any time of year.  Is this something new?  Is that person interpreting the wording correctly?  If so, then these coupons are suddenly no good to me at all -- until October when my membership comes up for renewal.

Technically the clerk is correct and it's supposed to a one time use coupon per account, it's just that most BN have never enforced or even checked

any of the fine print.

Try a different store or wait for a different clerk.   It's possible the Managers had a sit down with all teh Media folks and read the coupons and told

them to enforce the letter of the law.

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,269 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 09 2013 - 10:08 AM

Well, raise my rent! :o

Okay then, I'm delighted to report success with two of the coupons just now, at a store where there's never been the slightest resistance at taking and stacking 'em. Whew.

Too bad the 15% and 20% ones seem to have disappeared from that site, because I was always able to throw those in as well. I do get the emailed ones, but the most recent was only good through the 7th -- and I think those are tracked by membership number for one-time use.

So, thank you, gents. Now, back to the fun.

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,269 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 09 2013 - 02:56 PM

Had a great day! -- and looking forward to enjoying a couple more between now and the 29th.

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,069 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 09 2013 - 04:18 PM

Well, raise my rent! :o

Okay then, I'm delighted to report success with two of the coupons just now, at a store where there's never been the slightest resistance at taking and stacking 'em. Whew.

Too bad the 15% and 20% ones seem to have disappeared from that site, because I was always able to throw those in as well. I do get the emailed ones, but the most recent was only good through the 7th -- and I think those are tracked by membership number for one-time use.

So, thank you, gents. Now, back to the fun.

BN hasn't had any 15/20%  coupons generic coupons to use since Christmas.   Since then all the coupons other than the 'New Member"

coupons have been single use coupons though it's not by account.   I've use many of the email'ed typed on the same account and

even at the same purchase, but you have to have an Unique Code for each purchase.    Let's just say BN doesn't block coupons by IP

address and leave at that -- email addresses are cheap with Gmail being dot.blind.

If anyone ever needs a few non-member (anybody can use) coupons just  leave me a private message and I'll be happy to share

when they are availalbe.   Since there was a coupon just out this weekend, I'm doubtful they'll be one for the upcoming week though

you never know until Thursday for sure.  I'm rather hopeful that they'll be a coupon available for the 2nd or at least the 3rd weekend.

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,269 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 09 2013 - 04:43 PM

I think this has been discussed before, and I haven't been paying attention.  That changes now, and thanks for the info!

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts

Posted July 09 2013 - 09:01 PM

Hit 4 stores today, got the coupon stack to work at 3 of them

For about $200 I got:

Carl Dreyer Box Set
Maitresse
Au Hasard Balthazar
Koko
Imamura Box Set
von Sternberg Box Set
Marketa Lazarova
Shoah
Life of Oharu

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,119 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 09:24 PM

I've picked up the Horror Came to Shochiko Eclipse, On the Waterfront, Pina, Badlands and Life of Oharu so far. 

It's so difficult to not go crazy and spend more. I've such a long list of ones I want...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users